• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Around 16' Flat Bottom or Modified V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckhenshaw4

Reaction score
Looking to buy one of the above to re-do. Would like a counsel steer. Older Bass Tracker, etc.
Thanks for looking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Welcome Aboard

it will be most helpful if you can put a little more info in your request:
what kind of waters will you be fishing in..... fresh or salt or both. rivers, lakes, etc.
what part of the country are you in ?
of all the boats you have looked at, what do you like the best ?
have you spent some time down at the boat dock to look at other peoples boats and how they are set up?
the hull types are the Deep V, Modified V and basic flat from front to back (which rides the roughest).
will it be for fishing only or waterfowl hunting also.
even the best looking boat can have hidden issues: such as rotten wood and waterlogged foam.
I have a 1988 16' Blue Fin MV with a 50hp Force motor and love it.
I bought it from a tournament angler that was moving up to a bigger boat so it was already
tricked out when I bought it and not much to do to it.

soooooooooo many to choose from !!!!

Good Luck and have fun !

I just went through that choice...of flat or mod-V.

As Johnny said, the all flat ones ride the hardest, but probably go the shallowest.

I found out that there are some mod-Vs that have a greater angle and that angle runs the length of the boat..... some that are mod-V in the front and then run flat all of the way back, and some, such as the 1756 Lowe (2007) that I bought that has a mod V-front, and a very, very mild mod-V extending to the stern. (picture below).

I actually contacted my trusted mechanic of over 20 years to get his opinion on whether or not the particular Mod-V that I liked would still go very shallow. His opinion was that the modest V that extended to the stern of the 1756 Lowe wouldn't hurt my expected usage.

Johnny is right. No one should venture a serious suggestion until you share more about your potential use of the boat. Mine was simple, I don't expect to be crossing any big bays...and I hope to run shallow, and run often.

richg99

Attachments

• IMG_20170629_172850.jpg
    IMG_20170629_172850.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,628
Johnny said:
Welcome Aboard

it will be most helpful if you can put a little more info in your request:
what kind of waters will you be fishing in..... fresh or salt or both. rivers, lakes, etc.
what part of the country are you in ?
of all the boats you have looked at, what do you like the best ?
have you spent some time down at the boat dock to look at other peoples boats and how they are set up?
the hull types are the Deep V, Modified V and basic flat from front to back (which rides the roughest).
will it be for fishing only or waterfowl hunting also.
even the best looking boat can have hidden issues: such as rotten wood and waterlogged foam.
I have a 1988 16' Blue Fin MV with a 50hp Force motor and love it.
I bought it from a tournament angler that was moving up to a bigger boat so it was already
tricked out when I bought it and not much to do to it.

soooooooooo many to choose from !!!!

Good Luck and have fun !

Will be fishing fresh water only, and just mostly lakes around our area of Wayland MI. Pan fishing, pike, etc...
Heading tomorrow to look at a 16' Bass Tracker. It comes with a 35hp Johnson, trolling motor, fish finder, they say it runs good, and all decks are solid. Trailer has new tires and new spare, and a new wheel Jack up front. Depending on the age, what is something​ like this worth? They are asking $2,000 OBO.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your input. That boat did end up mysteriously following me home yesterday. Very excited about my new adventure starting. Going to fish with it the rest of the year, then when winter hits, it will get a complete makeover.

Latest posts