gig poles

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semojetman

Reaction score
I know this is the bowfishing section, but there isnt a gigging section and i figured many people do both.

Where can i find fiberglass gig poles?

I don't know where you can get one specifically made for gigging, but you could get a fiberglass handle for a broom, rake, shovel etc. and put a gig head on that. Never made one like that, but it oughta work, I'd think.

I've just resently started useing large Bamboo i grow myself . It is very strong and durable. shipping you some would be difficult , but depending on what length you need you can use wooden closet poles for gigging.

I gig in saltwater, have tried lots of different types of poles. I also do some bowfishing, with a compound bow, and a crossbow.

Bamboo does make an excellent material for gigging poles, they also float if dropped overboard (those expensive aluminum or fiberglass poles will not) The only drawback to bamboo is that constant exposure to saltwater, temp changes, and UV light, causes it to start splitting.

Our local tackle shop sells fiberglass gig poles. Short of that, I think you could take a telescoping fiberglass paint roller pole and use that for gigging, and that might even work out better. To guarantee it will float if dropped overboard, blow a can of expanding foam inside the pole (this is about the only useful marine application for this type of foam, IMHO)

Thanks guys.
the only place I can find them is 3 hours away in St. James MO

we want 12-14 foot fiberglass poles.

I am thinking about making a trip and buying more and reselling to cover a little of my fuel.

We have always used 14 ft. wood dowel rods.

Latest posts