My 14 year old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebbsWelding

Reaction score
My Boy has been bitten hard by the Bowfishing bug.
vvh.jpg

I bought him a beginner youth compound bow (25lb) last Christmas and he has gotten really good with it. We went to Bass pro last week and got a Cajun bow rig with 50lb draw. I am not a bowhunter, never have been, he has no real instruction from anyone. I am not sure how he hits so well with it. It's pretty cool watching him shoot. The other night I threw a 12 oz plastic coke bottle out in the lake about 20 feet out. It was anchored with a little weight. He hit the bottle 3 of 5 shots. The arrow glanced off but he really nailed it. He does not even seem to aim. I tried it and missed by three feet so he's not getting it from me. My wife has some indian in her, maybe thats it. I am proud but confused as to how he got so accurate. We are about to try his skills on the real thing this week.

Wait is the new bow a compound or traditional recurve or long bow because that is how you aim tradional bows compounds i have no expirience with but tradional I used to shoot and my dad did competion when he was young but yeah. Basically you focus on a very small point on an object and after practice the archer knows how his or her bow shoots and gets real good and he may have learned this. :D pretty cool

Its a compound bow. I have always taught him " Aim small miss small" when shooting guns. He didn't get it at first but does now. I guess it's just how much he practices. I never stuck with anything like that when I was a kid. He wants to join the archery team at his high school next year. Dad's throw the xbox in the trash and these kid's will amaze you.

Thanks for the video link midwest tinman, I watched it with my boy, he told me he always waits to release when his thumb knuckle hit his earlobe. not sure where he figured that out.We went out tonight and hung two lanterns out by the edge of a pond. Within five minutes a gar came cruising, he shot about a half inch over its back. We are getting in the boat tomorrow night with a spotlight. This pond is about 8 acres and full of gar and carp. Should be fun. Adam Webb

We got out tonight, saw just a few small ones, he took a few shots at swirls and such until I got him to calm down and wait for his shot. He missed a small one and we were about to call it a night.
benton4.jpg

We made one last pass on some flats and were moving slow and a gar swam by.
benton3.jpg

First fish with a bow. I tell you I was prouder than a puppy with two peters!!

benton1.jpg

That's awesome man! Great seeing the younger generations outdoors and having a blast! Must be a natural.

Well I guess he is a natural. I let him go out tonight with a boy in the neighborhood. First time with no adult supervision. He nailed a nice one. Another center punch. He was so pumped up. He and I went out last night and he hit one but it didn't stick. We are supposed to get 5 inches of rain in the next two days. The coldwater river will back up and put the big carp up in the fields. Should be fun. Adam

Good for him!! Bow fishing is not as easy as it looks, I know! And to shoot by instinct, that borders incredible. Encourage him to keep it up, and who knows, maybe one day we'll be watching him on the outdoors channel with his own show.

Latest posts