A little taste of some sweet Karma

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
A member on another forum, he's from Louisiana, reached out for some long distance help. He found a 1949 Dodge P/U on the internet that he wanted to buy for his wife. The problem was, the truck is located in Door County, Wisconsin. Not knowing if this was some kind of shady deal he was looking for some one to check it out for him (was the truck in decent shape, did it run and did the motor sound like BB's in a coffee can, was the seller some kind of shyster). Although it is a 160 mile round trip for me, I thought why not. I'm retired and could use a road trip. Besides, I love to look at old vehicles. I call the gentleman that has the truck and get the address. Off I go. The weather is good, traffic is light, so far so good. I reach my destination to find a building that looks like a gas station/repair shop from the 20s, 30s, 40s, gravity pumps and glass oil jars in there rack and all. This place has my interest. The owner comes from the house to meet me in front of the shop. An older fella that reminded me of my dad when I was just a pup. Well used Bib overalls, a pipe and a hand shake that let you know he wasn't raised on the soft side. We talked for a good 10 minutes before we got to the task at hand, the truck. He opened the door to the front room of the shop and there stood a 1953 Chevy 3100 P/U. Many years ago I had a 52 Chevy P/U so the next half hour was a walk down memory lane talking about his truck, a daily driver by the way. Well it came time to open the doors to the back (warehouse) of the shop. WOW. My head was so filled with what I was looking at that I didn't get an accurate count, but there were at least 20 old cars in there. First thing I see, 1958 Ford Skyliner Hard Top Convertible. I knew this was the start of something special. He also had a 1958 Edsel wagon, 56 Olds 88, 38 Studebaker Commander, 55 Cadillac Eldorado, and many more. We finally made it back to the old Dodge. First thing I did was kick a tire while looking at the owner, that got a real nice smile out of him. I took a slow walk around the truck checking it over real good with a rubber magnet. The owner appreciated my concern for body filler and assured me there was none. The magnet stuck every time. The interior was in very good condition for being original. He told me it was a 1 owner truck and when he got it, there was a blanket covering the seat. The odometer read 21,843 miles and all the gauges worked as they should. When he opened the hood I couldn't help but notice that the engine looked TOO CLEAN. He said the engine was pulled and rebuilt. Asked if I could hear it run, he said sure. He got in and pumped the gas a couple times (remember those days?) and she fired right up and purred like a kitten. That little flat head six was like music to my ears. Satisfied that the buyer from Louisiana was getting a solid truck, me and the owner took our sweet time heading back to the front of the shop talking about the good ole days. The only bad part was that I had no idea what I was going to see when I got there and failed to bring a camera. I was invited to return any time, and I will. You can bet the house that when I do go back, I'LL HAVE MY CAMERA. I did the buyer a favor and was rewarded with a visit to a really neat place owned by a very respectable man. My little taste of some sweet karma.

HANGEYE

ps I'll bring some chamois also to wipe the drool off his cars.

Yes, It's in the works. Check cleared and waiting on transport. Sounds like he should have it in a couple weeks. The buyer is an older (late 60s) gentleman, but when I talked to him last week to see how things were progressing and if there was anything else I could do on this end, he sounded like a kid on Christmas eve. He said he would let me know when he gets the truck delivered.

Nice story. Loved reading it. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overboard said:
Interesting story, it's amazing what is still around stashed in garages all over the country.

Right? And maybe one day I will score something cool,,,,doesnt have to be anything too fancy, I will take a 1978 Trans Am. :LOL2:

Latest posts