Baitcasting eBAy Impulse buy. A good deal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishyItch

Reaction score
This next season I want to get away from spinning and get more into baitcasting reels. I have limited experience, but it seems like once I get it down I'll never want to go back. But wow are some of these reels expensive! So I saw the "Would you buy a used reel" thread and thought, hey I'll check out eBay.

I saw an auction that included 3 baitcasters and it was almost over! Like only two minutes left over! I couldn't help myself, how could I let a possible deal slip through my fingers?! So I decided to bite the bullet and bid on the lot of 3 reels without knowing if they are even worth it. Maybe you guys can help me out. Including shipping I paid around $36 so that's only $12 each. So even if they are crap it's no big loss.

These are my questions. Did I score a major deal? Are these only worth the $36 I paid for? Somewhere in between? Any idea how old they are?

-------------

Reel One: SHAKESPEASRE SRB-1 BALL BEARING, MAG SPOOL CONTROL, FLIPPING SWITCH
Reel Two: PINNACLE YCZ10- 3 BALL BEARINGS,HIGH SPEED 6.3:1
Reel Three: SHIMANO BANTAM MAGNUMLITE 2200SG 6:1 HIGH SPEED

This is what the seller had to say:

"UP FOR AUCTION I HAVE 3 USED BAIT CASTING REELS THAT CAME OUT OF A TACKLE BOX FROM GRAND DADS GARAGE. HANDELS ALL TURN THE SPOOLS AND THE BUTTONS ALL PUSH AND RELEASE."

Attachments

• Reels1.jpg
    Reels1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4,069
  • Reels2.jpg
    Reels2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 4,069
I can speak for the Shimono.

I learned on one just like it, that funny enough came from an old tackle box that I found in my mothers shed. I think they were at the least worth what you paid for them if they are all working properly. Just take your time when learning, and use heavier baits in the beginning.

Picture026.jpg

I did this before myself - out of the lot I got only one of the reels worked the rest had problems. Hopefully they will all work for you

I ended up giving those reels away for parts

I'm not expecting much. I really just made the bid thinking it was low risk (cheap) with a high possible upside. I did see a lot of really nice reels for pretty cheap too, though. Lots of BPS Pro Qualifier's you guys are always raving about. Maybe that would be something to do.

As long as they're working, it's a great way to learn! I'm hoping the Shimano is still in working order for you, they make a pretty solid reel and even if it's a bit older, you can't beat the price. As you said, the BPS Pro Qualifier is a great reel - if you see one of those cheap, nab it up! I'd also recommend checking craigslist as well as eBay...I've found if you check in on craigslist every day, you can find some really nifty stuff if you know what you're looking for in the first place.

Newer reels with good brakes will be easier to learn with for most people. If they backlash on you don't lose all confidence just buy a newer reel.

The best tip I could ever give someone starting out with baitcasting is to start with a heavy weight. Next, the key to no backlashes is NO slack in your line. A spinning rod cast can get away with some slack. The snap cast with a spinning rod, is a surefire way to get a backlash with baitcasting.

I've ready of people having trouble, and I must say, that those two things are the key. I learned to fish baitcasters when I was 11 years old, with a 5500 C3 Abu Garcia. We always musky fished then so I was always throwing heavy baits. I was the 3rd person in the boat so I fished in the middle, and had to throw overhead. To do so meant the line always had tension.

I almost bid on a Pro Qualifier today on eBay, but decided I can't buy 4 used reels in one week. It ended up going for $38 with $10 for shipping. I don't know if I would have wanted to spend $50 on a used reel that is priced right now at $100 on the BPS website. I'll hang in there a little longer. But here's the catch. Spending a lot of money on something used is risky, but you rarely get something good for little money. Maybe I'll have to bite the bullet and buy at least one of them new. And don't even get me started on rods...

I'll keep you guys updated. I expect the reels to show up in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the comments.

:twisted: Honestly if you are just learning to use a baitcaster I would go with something newer. Those reels you won are mediocre at best when it comes to performance. You will be surprised how much easier it is to use learn when using better equipment. Good Luck!!!

I assume that BPS will have some good deals on their reels in the spring. I would hold out till then if I was I was you

I agree. Anything from the Extreme series on up will be a good reel for you.

Buy used, but buy carefully and you can find some good deals. I bought a like new Revo S a year or so ago for $30 shipped.

If I want to buy new, are eBay and Craig's the best places to look? Any other sources you guys have come across?

bass resource.com, and bassboat central have pretty heavy classified traffic.

Craigslist is to hit and miss unless you live in a metro area.

E-bay can have some decent deals on new, still.

Best bet is to watch Bass Pro and Cabelas for sales. They sometimes put reels on sale cheaper than you would be able to buy used for.

bearsphan3.14 said:
I assume that BPS will have some good deals on their reels in the spring. I would hold out till then if I was I was you

+1 - I think I paid $69 for my BPS PQ a couple of months ago...they put their gear on clearance and unless you're fishing now, there's no upside to buying it to have it (unless you're going to learn to pitch in your house during the winter months). Keep an eye on their website and check the store regularly, they'll put it on sale.

You're right, I can probably wait until we get closer to spring to start gathering gear. I guess I just have to feed my hunger for all things fishy by bidding on lures on eBay. Those at least I know more about. The other day I got 3 Mepps Tandem Musky Killers for $22 shipped. That's less than $8 each and they retail for quite a lot more. You guys say that heavier baits are easier to cast with a baitcaster, those muskie killers are 1.33 ounces. Maybe I'll have to start baitcasting for muskies and then work my way down to lighter lures for bass.

Not a bad deal. However, IMHO you would have been better off to spend a little more money and purchased brand new model, expecially if you are just learning how to use a baitcaster.

Go by your local Wal Mart and check for clearance items.

I was in mine last night and they had all of their leftover reels from last year on clearance for 30% or more off.

BaitCaster said:
Not a bad deal. However, IMHO you would have been better off to spend a little more money and purchased brand new model, expecially if you are just learning how to use a baitcaster.

I agree, I just purchsed my girlfriend her first baitcaster. Its a BPS model, 8 or 9 bearings and got it on sale at christmas for 29 bucks. I spooled it up and tried it out and its was very easy to cast. Smooth little rell for the money. The ones you got will work just fine though, it just seems the newer reels are a little more user friendly.

It sounds like a lot of your are suggesting waiting for spring sales. I think I'd like to have at least one nice baitcaster in the boat. These others will probably be serviceable though. They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I might have to do some practicing in the snowing parking lot behind my apartment building. I just need to get my hands on some practice casting plugs.

FishyItch said:
They haven't arrived yet, but when they do I might have to do some practicing in the snowing parking lot behind my apartment building. I just need to get my hands on some practice casting plugs.
When I got my first baitcaster (last year), I just tied on a 3/8oz. weight. I tossed it around in my backyard. At first just trying not to have any over runs, then working on my accuracy. You'll have your rig dialed in and mastered by spring.

Latest posts