New Techniques and Rod & Reel...please help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one100grand

Reaction score
So I want to get started in 2 different and new types of fishing that I've got little to no experience in and I want to get some recommendations. To honor my father's memory, my family just chartered a boat to go tarpon fishing and it sparked something in me that makes me want to fulfill one of his dreams - to catch a tarpon on a fly rod.

I have 2 problems, #1 - I know nothing about flyfishing...#2 I'm inexperienced in catching fish that size. So the 2 things I want to work on are learning to flyfish and learning to fight/catch big saltwater fish. I've only ever fished in saltwater a handful of times and I don't own any gear for it, so I want to buy a setup to learn more about saltwater fishing - I also don't own a boat that's capable of going into saltwater, so I'll need to learn that portion of things from shore (pretty sure I can't convince the wife that buying a boat is necessary to achieve this goal). For the saltwater rig, I'm thinking of a Shimano Teramar 7' M equipped with a Penn Spinfisher V 6500. The way I'm thinking, it's a small enough rod to make fighting most fish still a challenge, but it's big enough that I might be able to fish it in light surf. Is this flawed thinking and should I be considering a bigger/smaller rod/reel?

For the flyfishing gear, I'm at a complete loss, I know nothing of it, but I want to learn. Knowing the end goal, does anyone have recommendations on where to start and what I should focus on for proficiency?

I am new to fly fishing and one of the things that helped far more than any books or videos was to fish with a guide for a day. I learned so much! I would find a guide that fly fishes for tarpon and spend a day watching and learning

I think any fish could be caught with any rod and reel setup with practice and most importantly a reel with a good drag. Fly fishing from the bank is not easy with trees around so try to find a clear bank. Practice in an open field first. Watch videos on how to cast. You'll get the hang of it. Been a long time since I've fly fished. I sold all 3 of my fly rods probably 6 years ago and I regret it. The fact that i built them probably makes it worse. Good luck

Latest posts