Home made Rod.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HogWild

Reaction score
Who here has made their own Rod. I'm not completely happy with store baughts [-X and thinking about building my own :roll: . Maybe I can come closer to what I want and like =D> :lol:.

TinBoats member onthewater102 made me a custom rod to my specs and it is awesome. The fit and finish was perfect. Reach out to him if you have any questions or want advice.

Jim

HogWild said:
Who here has made their own Rod. I'm not completely happy with store baughts [-X and thinking about building my own :roll: . Maybe I can come closer to what I want and like =D> :lol:.

Used to build rods. Pretty easy to do really. Just takes some time. I bought a turning motor eventually so I didn't have to sit for hours and turn by hand. I recommend buying one. I also made a simple rod building desk out of scrap lumber. One thing is for sure..... you don't save money doing it yourself, but you get what you want. I used to buy my supplies from Cabelas Tackle Craft magazine and Mudhole.

and this is what you can get for a finished product when you do your own building:

Revo SX Gen 2...No Line, No Rod... 9.0oz

sFZPSFbl.jpg

Full ready-to-go setup. Custom med power fast action 6'8" rod, Piscifun Phantom ultralight full-size casting reel, oh and line... 9.4oz

7w11q4Xl.jpg

I build all of my own rods, started a few years ago. I enjoy making the rods all most as much as using them. Take your time do not skimp on materials and you will produce the best rod you have ever used. I am now starting the process of decorative thread work, no results yet I'm just in the experimental/ learning time.
There are many books and internet sources of how to available. MUD HOLE has live seminars they produce regularly.

CRS said:
I build all of my own rods, started a few years ago. I enjoy making the rods all most as much as using them. Take your time do not skimp on materials and you will produce the best rod you have ever used. I am now starting the process of decorative thread work, no results yet I'm just in the experimental/ learning time.
There are many books and internet sources of how to available. MUD HOLE has live seminars they produce regularly.

Way back when (like in the '80's) I used an old edition of this for custom wraps. I thought it was a pretty good reference.

And, while I no longer build any rods, I agree that it was enjoyable and rewarding.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.58.31 PM.png

I had a bear of a time hunting down that same book at a reasonable price - it's still the bible for wrapping as far as I'm aware.

onthewater102 said:
I had a bear of a time hunting down that same book at a reasonable price - it's still the bible for wrapping as far as I'm aware.

I sold my copy at a garage sale about 11 years ago. I wish I had kept it. There were some really artistic wraps.

I realize this thread is a couple of years old but I just joined the forum. I started building rods again, 5 years ago, after a 55 year hiatus. I needed a rod for river fishing for bass and tried several store bought ones that weren't what I wanted.

I have a very old Garcia Conolon 10' fiberglass rod that I use for surf fishing. The tip came unsoldered and a couple of the guides were bent. So I decided I would replace all the guides.

My old friend Author Itus didn't help much and I sure would not showcase it. Good thing the fish don't care what it looks like. Haha

Latest posts