Please give me ideas on these bass

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aluminumboatlover

Reaction score
Hi i guess fishin season will start here in a few.....
I live about a mile as crow flies from a large lake in Tum Tum, washigton. The lake is near spokane, washington. Its name is long lake(or lake spokane). the main species in long lake is crappie, perch, and smallmouths. Obviously the most desirable species is smallmouths, but i also enjoy filling a cooler of perch in a day. the weather lately has been 50 degrees Fahrenheit. the structure in the lake is SOME rock piles and mostly milfoil. I only know one way to fish them, and that is to pitch or troll A firetiger jointed shad rap. sadly it only catches them during a one month period in the summer. and besides, the guys are only like a pound or less :oops: . I know that there are large smallmouth bass because ive seen people pull giant smallies out of there. any advice would be greatly appreciated on how to catch more, larger smallies!!

In the Spring I suggest trying larger (1/2 oz and up) spinner baits over those rock piles. Also, suspending jerk baits worked slowly on the edges of the milfoil jerk - long pause (up to 30 seconds) and twitch.

Once the water warms up then large tubes (4-5") will be the ticket. Pitch the tubes in holes in teh weeds, and in the rocks. Let the tube settle and then give it a hop. Let it sit for 15 seconds or so, them lift and drop again.

Swimbaits might also work really well if there are bait balls and such present. No need to get to fancy, a Money Minnow on a 1/4 ox swimbait hook slow retrieved so that it skims the bottom can be deadly.

As you will see, the trick to getting the larger smallies to bite is fish super slow. It can wear on you but the results will be worth it

Crawfish coloured tubes are the way to go for smallies. Texas rig them or put them on a tube jig and fish them on those rock piles. Another great way to catch smallies is using a drop shot rig. All sorts of different kinds of plastic baits will work for this.

I am on the west side of the state and have never fished Long Lake but here is how I would approach the situation you have described. As others have mentioned I would target the rock piles. You did not mention how deep the water gets at the lake, but I would start out about 15-20' if possible and work up to shallow. I would start with a DT hula grub on a naked football head jig. Use your favorite craw color combo. Let it hit the bottom then slowly drag and pause across the rocks. I would also use a drop shot with a 1/2oz weight and use a similar retrieve. The other bait I have had success in this type of situation is a crankbait running deep enough to deflect off the rocks on the bottom.

thanks for the help everyone i think ima go fishin on friday in a shallow bay that is about 3 acres and 15 feet deep at max. i do believe i am gonna try the dead stickbait idea. like i said, thanks. :LOL2:

All god advice given above.

Also, don't forget to "match the hatch". I.e. if your local crawdads are reddish colored....use reddish colored cranks; traps; and tubes. If they are darker brown...match that color. A nearby bait store selling local craws can supply the model for you. Rich

thanks rich i actually have crawfish pots and i throw them down below our local dam and can pull em out by the dosens. i know a friend of mine throws little craw jigs that are apparently the right color and ive seen the size of the fish he pulls out regularly. he held up a stringer of 20 smallies that were avg.3 pounds each. i tried his technique throughout the year all year and pulled 3 smallies that were less than a pound each. i think he was bs'in me about what he used. [-X :---) :roll: :oops: :x

aluminumboatlover,

Make sure you check the WSDW Regulations regarding bass slot limits when you start pulling in those lunkers.

aluminumboatlover said:
i got an idea. what do u guys think about pitchin a small inline spinner around the rocks?

I think if you could get it to work the bottom and bounce off rocks it would catch some fish. In my mind I am thinking of a blue fox inline spinner, not sure if you could get something like a roostertail or meps to bounce the rocks.

thanks skagbass, i do think that im gonna dropshot and maybe football jig the rock piles thoroughly. If all else fails, im either gonna suspend a tiny tube jig under the dock and pull out perch all day or maybe slip bobber jig the lake for crappie. hope i can pull some smallies, though!!!! [-o<

aluminumboatlover said:
i got an idea. what do u guys think about pitchin a small inline spinner around the rocks?

I think you are gonna get small fish - you need to stay low and slow for the piggie smallies

thank you cap'n. i do believe that your right. throwin thoes spinners would probably just pull a few little guys

One lure I have also caught plenty of football sized smallies on is the good old Senko. Mainly in shallower water though.

sadly i didnt manage to pick up any senkos when i went to walmart yesterday. i believe this is gonna be my tactic.

1: First ill drop shot a small shakey worm in the milfoil beds at probably 10 feet deep with a very slow retrieve.

2: If that doesnt work, ill take a small stickbait and work it also very slow along the weedbeds in approxamately 10 feet of water.

3: If i still cant catch anything i will probably take a pumpkinseed football jig and work it about one reel revolution every 30 seconds (which is painfully slow) im about 8-12 feet of water over a rock bed.

when all else fails, i will throw on a bobber stop and a slip bobber with a small jig/micro combo or i will throw on a little squid jig with a little worm and fill a bucket ol perch. Throughout the whole time, i will have a simple worm setup out in different places to see if i can get lucky (i legally can have 2 rods out at 1 time)
I HAVE A QUESTION: does the the stickbait have to be weighted so it suspends rather than floats?
any respondse very appreciated.

By stickbait do you mean a pointer or jerk bait? Use a suspending bait (x-rap, Husky Jerk, LC Pointer)

Long pauses - very long

Latest posts