Old (but good) article on taking small boats offshore.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaFaring

Reaction score
I re-read this article periodically. I would think that only the largest and most heavily built tinnies would be suitable for this kind of fishing, but it gives useful thoughts for how to take small boats out on relatively bigger water, even if "big water" means a lake or bay and not 60 miles offshore on the ocean.

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/boats/boating-skills/little-boats-big-sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a great read! Lake Powell has all the launches and marinas cramed at on end. This causes massive traffic in the main channel to the lake. The wakes have no where to go because they hit a sheer cliff on both sides then bounce back in. The whole chanel is 4' chop with huge wakes mixed in from the ships. I learned that you just can't hold your course or slow down and plow thru. You have to wait and time every huge swell and watch the 4' chop on top of them. A two mile stretch may actually be 3 because of the ducking and weaving. My trick is a PLB, portable marine radio, vest and dead man switch lanyard. If nothing else those devises increase the size of my balls substantially. The radio and PLB is in a pack with my other important gear like first aid , keys, wallet and cell phone. One bag in one spot has everthing I'm swimming to shore with. In a place like Powell there is no shore. It's a smooth rock wall. Could be thickets or 4' quick sand mud where you boat. Phone will be wet. PLB and portable marine radio are my life line. Inland or off shore I need the same gear.

Don't forget a "float plan"! Anytime I was out in snotty weather or seas, I'd always let a few people know where I was going, who was with me, and when I would be back. And if I didn't call them ... they called to check up on me.

You can always go out ... you don't have to come back ...

Both excellent points. I think a lot of people overlook the radio, and float plans are really important. Most people have no conception of how BIG the ocean can be. Without knowing where to look, even modern SAR units can spend days looking and never find a missing boat just because the search area is too big.

I will remember the line about optional returns in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great article SeaFaring. Thanks for sharing. Back in what seems like a previous life, I used to take my 22' boat out under the Golden Gate for bottom fishing. Big swells and it could get pretty rough. I wouldn't do it now. These days I'm perfectly happy sticking to lakes.

Latest posts