JigSkinz for lure making

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I'm a fan of making my own FW and SW lures using the components from Jann's Netcraft, like these unpainted/unfinished lure bodies: https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/crankbait-bodies/341122.aspx

This plug shown has a rattle in it and is a 4" top water darter. As received is a milky white not-so-clear color, as it is intended to be painted and finished. It floats, tail down, nose up and just a little twitch will send it zooming off to the left, the next twitch off to the right. there's a little 'finesse' fishing to be learned with these, as in less is more.

But they should provide some great early morning top water action, as we have river herring that drop back down from the freshwater rivers to enter into the saltwater estuaries in early Spring. I bought some JigSkinz on sale and covered this one with the blueback herring color. Looks pretty good!

Attachments

• JigSkinz.jpg
    JigSkinz.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 2,495
That is impressive. I might have to dig through the old lure box to see if any are worthy of upgrades.

Do you think this would work on a spoon?

Edit: I was just browsing the Jann's Netcraft site. The reflector tape caught my eye. Should work great on spoons and dodgers.

I just use tape on the spoons, slightly warming the tape before applying to avoid wrinkles, not that the fish would care. If you fish any tannic (brown) stained waters, try some copper spoons w/ a 5/16” orange dot 1/3rd way back from the front.

JigSkinz are a type of heat-shrink material designed for customizing and enhancing fishing lures. They are commonly used in the world of lure making to add color, texture, and durability to fishing jigs and other artificial baits. Here's how they work and how you can use them:

Material:

JigSkinz are typically made of a specialized heat-shrink plastic material that can be easily applied to fishing lures.
Application:

To use JigSkinz, you start with a plain or painted fishing lure. Slide the JigSkinz over the lure in its unshrunk state.
Heat Shrink:

Once the JigSkinz are in place, heat is applied to shrink the material, conforming it tightly to the shape of the lure. This can be done using hot water, a heat gun, or other heating methods.
Customization:

The main purpose of JigSkinz is to allow anglers and lure makers to easily customize the appearance of their lures. This can involve adding lifelike fish-scale patterns, vibrant colors, or other designs to make the lure more attractive to fish.
Protection:

In addition to customization, JigSkinz can also add a layer of protection to the lure. The material provides an extra barrier against scratches, nicks, and other wear and tear.
Durability:

The heat-shrink material used in JigSkinz is often durable, resisting fading and peeling. This can extend the life of the lure and maintain its visual appeal over time.
Variety:

JigSkinz come in a variety of colors, patterns, and sizes, allowing for a wide range of customization options. This versatility is beneficial for matching the appearance of different baitfish or experimenting with various visual cues.
Creativity:

Using JigSkinz gives lure makers and anglers the opportunity to get creative with their designs, replicating specific prey species or creating eye-catching patterns that trigger more strikes from fish.
It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for applying and shrinking JigSkinz to ensure optimal results. Additionally, experimenting with different colors and patterns can help you find what works best in different fishing lures in Dubai conditions.

Latest posts