Registering homemade vessel in Florida

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barney

Reaction score
Has anyone registered a jet jon as a homemade vessel in Florida?

New guy here in Florida, been lurking a while reading jet jon builds and I have decided I'd like to build one myself, but it may be more difficult to register here than other states. I would prefer to modify an existing hull rather than build from raw materials, but Florida wants receipts for the materials and they're wording would seem to disqualify conversions.

"In no event shall a rebuilt or reconstructed vessel be construed to be a homemade vessel."(From HSMV 87002)

If anyone's been through the process in Florida, I'd like to hear your experience.
Thanks

I'm in Iowa. Before starting my project, I called the local DNR guy who told me incorrect info regarding registering my jetjon. I then called the coast guard & they were helpful ( no inspection required). I also called the head honcho DNR lady in Iowa who also was helpful. The county recorder ladies needed some coaching on how to create a home made title but eventually got it done. In Iowa, the caveat is you can't sell it for 5 years, or something like that. Not a problem for me as it is my favorite toy.

Sounds like Fl has guys like me figured out & you can't get there from here. Maybe you should ask if you can bring a homemade in from out of state, buy a used one & rebuild it better. Or build from scratch, which sounds like a fun project too.

Edit: All of a sudden I am curious as to the Iowa rules & I see the exact same lingo! However, it doers give this loophole, which is what I did (surrender previous HIN):

"If any of the parts you used to reconstruct your boat contain a registration number or HIN number
from a boat that was previously registered, you will need to provide the registration and/or title from the
previous registered owner."

Build from scratch may be the eventual route I take, I'll need to improve my welding skills.

No better way to improve welding skill than to lay down hundreds of inches of weld!

I wonder if a jon boat mfg would sell you 16 ft of the rolled bottom sheet (with channels). Add sides , bow, transom & brace it your way.

barney said:
"In no event shall a rebuilt or reconstructed vessel be construed to be a homemade vessel."(From HSMV 87002)
If anyone's been through the process in Florida, I'd like to hear your experience.
Thanks
********************************************************************************************

Barney; I interpret that posted line as saying that you can't use a previously numbered hull, and call it "homebuilt", as it has a HIN.

I suggest you contact one or more of the guys that build airboats, and ask what hoops they have to jump through for registration.

Roger

GTS225 said:
barney said:
Thanks
********************************************************************************************

I interpret that posted line as saying that you can't use a previously numbered hull, and call it "homebuilt", as it has a HIN.

I did this exact thing, with gov't blessing! Same law verbiage in Iowa.

CedarRiverScooter said:
******************************************************************************************
Just because the recorder's office did it here in Iowa, doesn't mean that will happen in Florida, where there's a heck of a lot more boating and building going on, along with much more Coast Guard oversight.
That being said, I can't help but wonder why he needs to consult with anyone? If the boats already in his name, does he really have to have it inspected and/or re-registered after modification?

Roger

A CG or DNR guy could give you a ticket if the HP of jet ski engine is more than the max hp stated on the capacity label. Could ruin your day.

When it is home made, you can remove that label.

Edit: I again got curious as to how much the fine would be, so searched the WWW. Lots of chatter about overpowering, but no evidence anyone has ever been fined. The search lead me to the HP rating test & I think I will run that next spring, just to see where I am at (1648 with 110 hp inboard jet). I am not sure it would pass because it slides during a hard corner at speed, so it make not make it around the last bouy. It does not want to flip, just spins out.

BTW, CRS.....what county you live in?
Black Hawk county, here.

Roger

Same, BHC

We like to run the Shell Rock river from Cedar Wapsi bridge up to Shell Rock dam.

Very nice scenery.

GTS225 said:
CedarRiverScooter said:
******************************************************************************************
Just because the recorder's office did it here in Iowa, doesn't mean that will happen in Florida, where there's a heck of a lot more boating and building going on, along with much more Coast Guard oversight.
That being said, I can't help but wonder why he needs to consult with anyone? If the boats already in his name, does he really have to have it inspected and/or re-registered after modification?

Roger

As CRS said, my concern is exceeding the HP rating on the hull, won't be an issue if registered as homemade. Could go the fight club route, but we have Coast Guard, FWC and local Sheriff's patrolling the water here in Florida and I prefer not to be in any gray areas.

My understanding was that the horsepower rating of the hull only applied to outboard engines. Since the jet motor is now inboard, the HP rating does not apply.

Latest posts