How bad is this impeller?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benjy

Reaction score
I bought this Tohatsu 50/35 about a year ago. Ran it all summer without any issues, took it in to have it serviced/winterized and get a clean bill of health. It needed some seals and new impeller. This is my first jet so I don’t really know, is this typical wear, or excessive? It’s a 2015 I think, and I don’t really know what the previous owner did with it other than take pretty good care of it from what I can tell. Should I expect any increase in performance with now tighter tolerances and no more grooves?

5846D741-C4EC-45A7-B728-8065662579BC.jpeg

That is actually the liner. The impeller is the piece with blades behind it. That just looks normal to me. Maybe a little deeper grooves than you’d like to see but as you run your motor those grooves will happen over time with debris running thru there as well as the impeller itself. You simply shim it to keep the tolerance tight.

Yes you will see an increase in performance. Anything that can cause a little bubble any imperfection could cause performance loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you didn't know already after each use you should be giving your jet lower a couple pumps of grease to keep bearings lubed. Sharpening and shimming your impeller is apart of routine maintenance with a jet. The less debris you suck up the longer you can go between sharpening and shimming.

If that's the impeller that's been it this summer it honestly doesn't look that bad. Wouldn't hurt to sharpen it but I've seen a lot worse impellers and liners being used. Did they change the seals and the water pump impeller or the jet pumps impeller?

Latest posts