UHMW Jet Intake Fins

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disturbed

Reaction score
I am working on a new boat just bought with a 50/35 Johnson on it. The grates in the jet foot are trashed. I could fix them or make new ones but I have a piece of UHMW laying around that I am thinking about making grates out of. I am thinking with UHMW if they do get bent they will just flex back. Has anyone ever tried this? I cant be the first person that has thought of this but I cant find anything on line about it. UHMW is pretty stiff but I am wondering if they would flex and cause cavitation. I am also thinking that if I do hit something with the intake grates the UHMW will absorb some of the impact and not put so much stress on the intake Thoughts?

I think the first solid hit would rip them from the pin holes, possibly allowing bigger rocks and debris into the intake causing more damage.

The reason I say this is because I bought a set of the uhmw side skirts from James River. The first time out I went over a stump and it twisted one of them 180 degrees and ripped it off the rod. The fins would be much thinner and won't take a hard hit very well. The stainless fins have an oval on one end to allow for stretch and bending when they take a hit, but remain in place to protect the auger.

dhoganjr said:
I think the first solid hit would rip them from the pin holes, possibly allowing bigger rocks and debris into the intake causing more damage.

The reason I say this is because I bought a set of the UHMW side skirts from James River. The first time out I went over a stump and it twisted one of them 180 degrees and ripped it off the rod. The fins would be much thinner and won't take a hard hit very well. The stainless fins have an oval on one end to allow for stretch and bending when they take a hit, but remain in place to protect the auger.

I can see that but when you are saying but the side skirts are only in single shear, meaning that the pin, or bolt in this case, is only supported on one side which allows the skirt to twist, I would bet it tore the bolt through the UHMW to rip it off. In the jet foot it is supported on both sides and it cant really twist. Because of how the grate bars are mounted it cant be twisted that far. Not saying you are wrong, I am probably just trying to talk myself into it. I bought the material to make new 304 stainless steel grates and pins for the jet foot last night, it cost all of $6 for the material. I will probably just make new stainless ones tonight.

Sounds like something I would try! :lol:
You could always try the UHMW material, but for $6 and a little bit of time I think I would stay with the stainless steel.
Just a thought: Any small rocks that may be "caught" by the stainless fins may not be stopped from entering the intake by the UHMW material due to it flexing more, I've seen pictures on here where small rocks were jammed into those fins.. As mentioned, the stock SS fins have an elongated hole on the 1 end, I would try to duplicate that for the reasons mentioned.
Usually the major damage to a jet foot is caused by a hit on the front leading edge, I doubt if either type of fin would have a tendency to stop that.
Just looked at something, it looks like both RockProof jets and Wooldridge UHMW jet intakes both have the stainless fins in them, there's a reason for that!

Latest posts