WaterWeld to seal up holes

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark River Runner

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you guys do this but I usually keep a tube of "WaterWeld" or "Steelstick" (made by JBWeld) in my boat in case I knock a hole in it. Well...This weekend I did it. I couldn't see a sharp pointy rock that was just under the water and I punched a good hole just in front of my drain plug. The problem was the tube I had in the boat was dried up and I never got around to replacing it. Had to call a buddy to be bring me a tube. Patched up the hole and made it back home without a problem. If you don't carry any in your boat its not a bad idea lol. Would have saved me a bunch of trouble if I had remembered to replace it. Now I just hope the repair bill isn't too high!

A friend gave me a tube to keep in the boat just in case. Thankfully (knock on wood) I've yet to need it.

FWIW ... a cheap $4 wax toilet ring will keep your boat afloat ... or as others here have said it: "For use when s#!t hits the hull"

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39286

I always carried 2 of the biggest wax rings I could find on my toona boats ...

i just checked my tube of weld a couple weeks ago.dried up as well,so i got a new one that's in the boat now,and a set of swimming goggles in case i need to go under the hull.

Hmm.. might need to put some on my list.

No holes yet, but a freak 20 minute storm last week was a few drops shy of sinking my boat. The bucket hustle got real, real fast.

Melting a soft plastic bait can work in a pinch if you can get to shore and get the hole out of the water by proping up a side of the boat.

Latest posts