• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1987 Evinrude 20hp $600 obo

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

after6tuning

Reaction score
Runs great but needs lower unit repaired. I used it 3 times since I bought my boat then discovered my transom was rotted. I spent maybe a month or so rebuilding the transom then put the motor back on to take it out on the lake. I then noticed gear oil leaking from lower unit. After removing drain plug it was water and gear oil mixed and a bit sludgy. I removed the lower unit and the bearings are pitted/rusted. Will need new bearings and seals. Might as well do water pump too. I have a replacement prop shaft ready to go and the prop shaft housing had brand new seals and bearings. the vertical driveshaft is pitted and has some rust in areas, I assume it will need another.

I am at the point of frustration with this thing and just want to get another newer engine. You can see pics in this post below. The previous owner put a 30hp carb on it and when I have me and another friend and the bimini top in the up position, the 15' jon boat does 22-23mph. with me alone and the top down I get 25-26. This engine has power.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45084

The powerhead runs good and has excellent compression. I think it was 151 and 149 psi. The top cover I had to makes holes for air because there is probably an exhaust leak which causes the motor to stall when the cover is on but runs great with the cover off. Hence the vent holes and runs fine with them.

I am in the Longwood Fl area. Ill even throw in the service manual. and whatever parts I have for it.

$600 obo. 407-461-9733 Joseph

Latest posts