1951 14' Starcraft Semi-V Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pics of the lid design we will use throughout the boat. They are really strong and lightweight. I used continuous piano hinge cut to length with lightgauge framing and 1/16 in. aluminum top plate all riveted together with 1/8 in. rivets. I'm taking a break for a few days to let the carpal tunnel pain in my wrists subside enough to finish! I don't think I'm going to make the deadline for my bet... oh well.760.jpg761.jpg763.jpg764.jpg

Sure does look sturdy...nice work.
I think they make air(pnematic?)guns,not sure if you could rent one or not...they may not be that expensive either?

It's starting to feel like it's coming together! Thank god because I want to be finished and do some fishing :D . Some more pics of the progress. I've been taking a ton of pics to hopefully tell the story because I think good pics are better than a bunch of words, but if anyone has any questions, I would be glad to go into more detail about how I did something... let me know.
800.jpg801.jpg802.jpg803.jpg804.jpg805.jpg806.jpg808.jpg809.jpg810.jpg811.jpg812.jpg813.jpg814.jpg

Looks great....keep the pictures coming. I am working on a 14' Sea King which Starcraft must have built for Montgomery Wards, because they look almost like the same boat, but with a metal rail rather than wood...wish mine was in as good of shape as yours. Super build looking forward to seeing it completed.

Flintcreek

I should probably just wait for you to post pictures later on, but how are you planning to divide your compartments below deck? Looks great by the way.

For storage compartments, I plan to use alum sheets and more rivets. I'm going to build my own livewell out of CDX ply, fiberglass resin and a high quality marine bottomside paint. For the cooler... I'm not sure, maybe the same way as the livewell just adding insulation wrap to the outside.

Bet that will slow her down a bit...
Nice work,going look great when it's done.

Finally some update pics... it's been a long grueling process with all the framing, but I hope to finally start the carpeting and maybe even finish it by the end of the weekend or the first of next week. I'm ready to catch some fish!!
1000.JPG1001.JPG1002.JPG1003.jpg1004.jpg1005.jpg1006.jpg1007.jpg1008.jpg1009.jpg1010.jpg1011.jpg1012.jpg1013.jpg1014.jpg1015.jpg1016.jpg1017.jpg1019.jpg1020.jpg1021.jpg1022.jpg1023.jpg

This is my biggest understatement in a while.
Good job...

Looks like you will have everything that you want,when it's done.

Thanks guys for the kind compliments. We didn't get as far today as hoped, but does that ever really happen? Almost finished the rod holder side... just lacking the lid and front face. If all goes well, we should start carpeting tomorrow afternoon. I will try to post more pics at the end of the weekend. I'm starting to think it might actually be done in time for Labor Day weekend. I promised my daughters it would be and we could go camping and do some fishing finally. When I say done, I mean good enough to get it back on the water. We still have the livewell and cooler to build as well as all the lighting, electronics, radio, etc, etc, etc... it may never really be done!

You inspired me to get back on it because I was out for the count (literally and figuratively). We have the same exact boat. I am patiently waiting to see how your project has come along. Can't wait because I am using your project to help me along. Thanks, your project is beyond what I envisioned possible for the boat.

It's been awhile since I have been on the site... too busy fishing!! I promise to update with pics this week. The boat is almost complete. I still have to construct the livewell and cooler. I've been saving that for a wintertime project. I still need seats, rod holders, radio, sidescanner, etc.... the list just keeps on going. I will probably never be completely done with the boat as it is just too much fun to keep working on her. It's fishable right now and that is all that really matters!! Thanks to everyone for all the compliments I have received all along the way during this project.

That looks great, it certainly gave me some ideas to work with on my conversion. How wide is your boat though? It seems wider than your average 14ft'rs. Good luck with the live well and the rest of it. I'll be following your future posts.

Latest posts