14 ft. Alumacraft T14V Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UtahBassKicker

Reaction score
I've got a 2005 Alumacraft T14V, absolutely nothing wrong with it but you guys know how it is once the "tinkering" bug sets in. I bought this boat new and have been thinking about decking it out in the front and the back for some time now. This spring I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. I started by sanding and priming in preparation to apply Herculiner to flooring.
DSCN1428.jpg

I just attach a photo, it's right below where you post. Just make sure that you attach and add the photo.

So after sanding and priming, I applied the Herculiner in a gray tint. It cost a little more than the black but I didn't want black floors in my boat so I splurged a bit. It turned out pretty good, at least I am happy with the results. If you use this stuff make sure you tape your lines good and remove that tape before the stuff dries. A gallon went a surprising long way. I was able to apply three coats using the supplied brush and roller.
DSCN1455.jpg

DSCN1457.jpg

DSCN1456.jpg

The boat has no leaks but with this stuff on I think it'll be a while before any of the rivets start letting water in. This Herculiner stuff is pretty cool. It covers well after the 1st coat and creates a rubberized surface that provides traction and noise deadening.

looks great! I too just added Herculiner to the interior sides our our jon, and will be doing the floors as well. Nice job and keep us updated!

Here are a couple photos I left out accidently.
0310001419.jpg

0310001715-1.jpg

I ended up cutting the plywood where it comes down into a "V" towards the bottom of the boat. I decided that if water got in the boat I didn't want the wood just sitting in it and absorbing it.

I gave the Herculiner a few days to dry and started on the front deck. This is definitely going to be a work in progress for some time. Since I have no previous experience with boat modification or metal working I opted to use wood since aluminum was a little too expensive and I have no idea how to cut it, attach it, etc. I used pressure treated 2x4's for the framing along with galvanized hardware. I also used 5/8 exterior grade ply for the deck itself. I double and triple coated all wood with a waterproofer made by Behr (it was suggested over the Thompson's by the paint guy and Home Depot). I wanted to add covered storage to the boat since I like to keep most the accessories (ropes, life jackets, etc.) on board instead of loading and unloading all the time. I live in southern Utah and the desert sun takes its toll on things that are left out and not covered. I'm also thinking of moving the battery up front for weight distribution since I run a 15HP 4 stroke Johnson that is pretty heavy. I used indoor/outdoor carpet from home depot and used staples and carpet adhesive to apply. I created a small dry storage bin above the bench where I can keep little gadgets safe and dry. I used some stainless cabinet hinges to attach the door. The large storage door is attached with a couple of painted door hinges and rests on the framing for support. I left some small gaps on the sides to lift the door because I didn't want any type of handle in the middle of the floor where you cold possibly trip on it. I plan on attaching a seat base to the space to the left of the small dry storage compartment where I could put a seat with or without a pedestal.
0312002303b.jpg

0312002303.jpg

0312002302a.jpg

So now I plan on doing something similar to the back (and possibly the middle bench) with covered storage. I'll keep things updated as time goes by. I'm also going to add wiring for lights, bilge, etc. and have no idea how to do that so I'll definitely be asking for advice on that.

I headed out to the closest lake on 3-15-10 after work. We just got done with a week of low to mid 70's and I couldn't wait any longer to try it out. Here is the first test run with the front deck installed. My best fishing buddy really seemed to enjoy it.

https://s976.photobucket.com/albums/ae247/UtahBassKicker/Mobile%20Uploads/?action=view&current=0315001728.flv

UtahBassKicker said:
So now I plan on doing something similar to the back (and possibly the middle bench) with covered storage. I'll keep things updated as time goes by. I'm also going to add wiring for lights, bilge, etc. and have no idea how to do that so I'll definitely be asking for advice on that.

How did you attach the bracing to the floor? Did you attach it to the ribs????

Troutman3000 said:
UtahBassKicker said:

How did you attach the bracing to the floor? Did you attach it to the ribs????

It actually isn't attached to the floor. The point of the framing in the bow of the boat where the three 2x4's meet created the perfect fitting where the frame would rest against the the interior of the boat where I have applied the Herculiner. I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the middle 2x4 and used rope to tie it to the handle on the bow. You can see the rope in some of the previous pics and I'll put a pic of the framing on this post. I attached the framing to the existing bench with some L-brackets and screws. All in all with the framing attached to the bench, the framing resting on the Herculiner, and the rope support, the deck is a solid as I could ask for.
0310001419.jpg

So I'm thinking about tackling the wiring job but seriously have no idea how to even start. I have a battery but have always just hooked up the TM and sonar directly. I want to set up a toggle switch panel and add nav lights, a couple lights on board, and a bilge pump as well as a 12V plug so I could use a spotlight, etc. Would I need a toggle for the sonar or can it still be attached to the battery since it has it's own on/off switch? Also can the TM stay directly hooked up to the battery or do I need to add plug to it? Could someone kinda walk me through the process using really simple words and patience so an idiot like me could understand. I've looked at some diagrams online but I don't understand all the terminology. What cables will I need and in what gauges? Where do fuses and breakers fit in? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I think Russ has some really good basic wiring diagrams he has worked up; I am sure he will be along in a little bit.

Latest posts