Convert clamp-on troller to Folding bow-mount?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DownSouthGaBoy

Reaction score
Quick topic for discussion...

Has anyone ever seen a homemade folding bracket for a trolling motor to convert a clamp on style to a bow mount? I googled it but it only comes up with how to mount them. I've already got a clamp on troller, but like the convenience of the ones that fold up on the deck. I know Motorguide makes their Gator Mounts, but have better things to drop a few hundred bucks on (like carpet, paint, etc...).

If anyone knows of anything let me know. I am going to plan something out and if anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I would appreciate the help. I'll make sure to take plenty of photos on the way.

I have never seen a homemade folding mount; I would think it would be pretty difficult to build and keep working. I found mine on Crqaigslist for $20.

Here is one like mine:
Bow Mount for motor

a member here posted his a long time ago will try and find it for you

If memory serves me right it was BassnBob

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11366&p=115835#p115835

hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, it does help alot. I'll probably use some of his idea and see if I can modify it a little to make it a bit more... err... aesthetically pleasing.

Again, when I'm in construction phase, I'll keep it posted. If anyone has anymore ideas or photos let me know...

I believe a trolling motor is the most important piece of equipment on the boat if you bass fish.
I have a 65# Minn Kota Maxxum 24v foot control on my 15' boat. I can fish and control the boat in high winds or jump from spot to spot quickly.
That homemade mount that BassnBob made is nice but its not comprable to a real bow mount that all you have to do is grab a rope and flip the trolling motor out and then steer with your foot.
Check craigslist and the classifieds section in your local bass fishing websites for a used one.

caveman said:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11366&p=115835#p115835

hope this helps.

That is a pretty sweet homebrew mount I must say...

Going to post an image here for posterity so the link and images are on th same page.

file.php

file.php

I made one for my buddys tri hull useing some 2x4's and some hinges, It was cheap and functional. I will try and get some pictures of it for you. The only issue is you must get and extension handle to use it.

I simply used a 3" x 4" piece of aluminum angle I bought at Metal Supermarket. Cost me $3 and really seams solid.

Motor Mount.JPG
Trolling Motor Stowed.JPG
Trolling Motor.JPG

Ok here's my solution to the problem. I do like the simple fixes everyone else had, however, I do not like the extra bulk of the clamp on attatchment, so I eliminated it.

Here is what I did (brief explanation in captions)

Attachments

• DSC01388.JPG
    DSC01388.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 7,557
First I removed the pin that holds the clamp to the shaft...

Attachments

• DSC01375.JPG
    DSC01375.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01374.JPG
    DSC01374.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01372.JPG
    DSC01372.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 7,557
Next I had to remove the spring loaded piece for clearance...

Attachments

• DSC01379.JPG
    DSC01379.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01378.JPG
    DSC01378.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01376.JPG
    DSC01376.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 7,557
Next I made the folding arm and the mounting bracket.

I didn't get into any specifics with mesurement on the arm, I kinda used trial and error. I found the arm should be half the length of the distance from the top of the sliding (top) bracket (with the motor in the folded position) to the top of the pivot (bottom) bracket with the motor in the deployed position.

But first came the mounting bracket.

Attachments

• DSC01384.JPG
    DSC01384.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01383.JPG
    DSC01383.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01382.JPG
    DSC01382.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 7,557
  • arm.JPG
    arm.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01381.JPG
    DSC01381.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 7,557
  • DSC01380.JPG
    DSC01380.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 7,557
These are the final mock up close-ups. Let me know what ya'll think.

Attachments

• DSC01391.JPG
    DSC01391.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,865
  • DSC01390.JPG
    DSC01390.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,865
  • DSC01389.JPG
    DSC01389.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,865
  • DSC01388.JPG
    DSC01388.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,865
Hey I'm no metal worker myself, I had the drill and grinder already, and I borrowed someone else's metal chop saw to cut everything, It took more thought than effort really.

I built a mount like that for my boats first incarnation. I removed the factory mount from the transom style motor and built one from wood and aluminum angle. What I was trying to do was copy the mounts I had seen on bow troll motors. It worked, but was a pain to use. I'll be using the same motor this time, but with a much simpler homemade mount. I don't have any pics of it, dang it. If I were doing it again, I'd keep the factory mount and design around it.Looks to me like you got the simple part figured out ,though, please post how well it works for you. By the way, my motor is a Sears DieHard. Minnkota made them for Sears. Darn good motor, took everything I threw at it for 15 years. I'll be reusing it on this build.

Latest posts