1980 Bass Tracker III

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdrautoworks

Reaction score
Well two days ago I picked up a 1980 Bass Tracker III from a "friend of a friend" for a hell of a price $900.....

The boat is in decent condition, has a 40 HP Merc that I know has less than 2 hours on a total engine rebuild (top and bottom end). The interior is ok but is coming out, has a live well that I have not idea how and if it works. Ended up with 2 new tires out of the deal and the bearing buddies for the trailer NIB. And a Bimini top that is in perfect condition aside from the cover.

My master plan.....

Gut the interior and replace....
Rewire the entire boat.....
The Merc will be getting a impeller kit, carb kit, hoses, plugs, fuel pump kit and a waxing along with a hydrofoil....
AlumaBright the hull inside and out then a polish if needed.....
Bow mount trolling motor....
Fish Finder....
Stereo....
Swim Tab????
Trailer, new paint, some welding, winch cable, and new runners along with the bearing buddies.....

Now some questions....

The outboard is a Mercury 40 HP and should be a 1980 the S/N is 5661770. Anyone know what model this would be? Also where would be a good place to get parts as this S/N seems to be a little harder to get parts for (I live no where close to a marine supply so they would have to be shipped)?

Next is the live well this has me stumped.... There is a PVC tee at the bottom both have plugs and it looks as one end (it's about 10" from the bottom of the well) is a "level" for the well and the other end of the tee appears to be the drain. Both of these are plumed into a approx. 1.25" line that exits the transom at the bottom of the boat well below the water level. It also has a PVC elbow right at the top entering the live well with a ball valve on it and is plumed into a pump that gets it's supply of lake water right next to the drain on the bottom of the transom again well under the water line.

Now I see the drain and the fill level an the fill but can this setup aerate? Would I run the pump with the plug out of the "level" PVC pipe that is about 10" of the bottom of the well? My thinking since it was plumbed into the lower tansom that is would not drain but instead possibly fill with lake water or at best not drain at all.......

Next set of questions...

Where to get marine carpet??? Looking for something cheap but in the same hand right, so who has the best deals and service online?

Next I need a windshield, anyone have one laying around they are looking to get rid of?

Also looking for a T.M. bow mount 42" shaft (or around there) foot controlled, 12 volts, 40#'s or more. Anyone have one of these laying around they'd be willing to ship?

Next is a fish finder.... Looking for something not to fancy but decent that will read temp. and speed that is also complete. Again with the wishing anyone have one they'd be willing to ship?

With all of that out of the was here she is.....

P3280022.jpg

P3280024-1.jpg

P3280026.jpg

P3280025.jpg

Let me know what you guys think and hopefully you won't run me off after I get done asking a million questions as all of this is new to me (I used to be a jet boat guy)...

Thanks,
Jerry

Well got the outboard off today and man is that SOB heavy for one person to lug around. :shock:

Also got the front and rear decking removed only to find someone in the past has removed all of the foam from the bow....

With any luck I'll have the console, floor and seat out and possibly have the boat off the trailer as the trailer is going to be done first.

Got it down the the bare bones today....

Now the hard part design the interior.... I am thinking just a few small mods like add just a bit more storage and need to have one more small jump seat.

Going to drag the boat off the trailer tomorrow and start cleaning and welding. Oh speaking of welding looks like I am going to brush up on my aluminum gas welding as I found cracks on top of the transom and front on the bow.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow and some of this live well as I am still scratching my head on why it is plumed this way.

Congrats on your boat... looks like there is a lot of Mod potential there. Look forward to seeing updates soon.

Well the wind blew today so hard I didn't want to take the boat off the trailer in fear of it might get knocked off the stands so not much progress today....

I did take some pics of what I got done yesterday....

Here she is completely stripped and man did I have to drill a boat load of rivits... :lol:

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

Here is the Live Well I've been asking about...
On the top you can see where the pump supplies water from the plastic fitting on the bottom of the transom.
In the bottom you can see there is a plastic "tee" that had two rubber plugs in it that drains through the bottom of
the transom just right if the inlet. Looks like the top part of the tee is a "level" for the well and the bottom is the drain. My questions how will the level tube drain while pumping fresh water (lake supplied)?

At any rate here it is.....

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00041.jpg

Supposed to rain tomorrow so I doubt I'll get anything done.... :(

Managed to get a little done the past few days...

Boat is now off the trailer on stands and trailer is gutted also. Wheel bearing are toast so I'll be picking up some bearings at Napa along with some DA sanding pads and hopefully Tuesday I'll be shooting the trailer with either some Caterpillar water borne enamel or some Nason urethane. Then as soon as that is dry (thinking 24 hours to cure with the current temps) I'll get the hubs back on, wheels and wire the trailer. My order should be in soon that will include the new winch, tongue jack, bunk carpet and lights along with some bearing buddies. The the boat will be going back onto the trailer for it's start after a quick was with TSP (this stuff works better than AlumaBrite check it out).

Hopefully pics will come in the next day or two.

minicuda said:
BOAT LOAD OF RIVITS
Thats funny

That was my bit of comedy... :lol:

Sad thing is that it was true all the panels in it that are carped aside from the top and rear decks are aluminum, but that is a good thing.

Now another question.... Is there anything better than Thompson Water Seal for sealing the wood. I've used this stuff in the past and did not like the performance of it.... So what do you all think????

Oh and the ole lady got me talked into a stereo for the boat also, there was no argurment on my side obviously but now I am in no doubt going to need three batteries (one engine and gauges, one for the trolling motor, and one for the rest such as lights stereo, fish finder and lights). There goes another $100 bill..... :shock:

Another question.... I will be in the future be installing a "on board charger" and am looking to place my third battery for my trolling motor in the front (bow). I would like to pre-wire for the on board charger but don't know what gauge wire to run??? I am going to run a 5-10 amp charger and am thinking 12-14 gauge from the front (bow) to the rear where the on board charger will be mounted to charge the battery....

So what you guys think???

Done for tonight....

Got the trailer stripped, sanded, welded, added new tail light hangers, and rebuilt the hubs and got them on.

Tomorrow I'll be shooting paint!

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

Well got the trailer sprayed yesterday and did not come out like I hoped. The sub-straight (old paint) must of been a lacquer base paint because the urethane did not like it at all and cause some major "fish eye" but was able to cover it up with a few coats. I also installed my new lights (still got to get SS screws for my side markers) and ran all new wire. Also installed a new tongue jack, painted the winch, and transom saver. The bearing buddies should be here Friday along with the bunk carpet. I also managed to get 3 coats of Thompson shot on some of the lumber I'll need this weekend.

Tomorrow I'll be drilling out the bad rivets on the boat, pressure wash it with some purple power, and clean the aluminum with some tri-sodium-phosphate and have the boat ready for the trailer.

Still trying to find someone in this small town to recover my "main" seat for me to match my "bass" seats. So far it's either drive 80 miles each way to my old upholstery guy or buy new for $200. Orrrr..... I ask the wife for a sewing machine....lol. Now you can't take away my man card for that comment but I watched in my old shop our stitch guy and learned a lot and always wanted to know how so..... :shock:

Oh and also picked up a NIB Bass Pro 5/5/5 on board charger for my rig for $65 and had to buy it! Also still trying to decide on hinges SS or chrome or zinc. Also filled to boat with water last night and only one leak over 3 hours and it was from the live well pump intake in the transom and will be a easy fix!

At any rate here are some pics....

DSC00045.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

Been a slow week on the boat.

I managed to replace all the bad rivets now and added some chrome plated bracing to the weak points in the boat.
I also got the trailer done, carpeted bunks, foot pads, and well covers.
Got the few welds that needed done, done and cut out the ply for the floor. Went to wallyworld and got some battery boxes and started playing with mounting and think I have it nailed.

I do have a question on hydrofoils.....

Would I benefit from one and would I use the StingRay Sr. or Jr.? The Sr. is rated at 25HP + and the Jr. is 2-40HP????

I was going to ask about hydrofoils too. I have a 15HP 4 stroke and was wondering if anyone had some advice or input on them. Will I notice a difference or is the money better spent somewhere else? I guess it's true what they say about great minds, huh!

The Hydrofoils are basically used as a band-aid to fix problems such as porpoising or excessive bow lift. Most of these problems can be fixed in other ways, (prop change or weight distribution) which is probably the best way to go because of the extra drag created by the hydrofoil.

Well yet another slower than I expected week....

Tried cleaning the boat with some hydrochloric acid and still looks bad and really had no effect. On the other hand a little 3M Perfect-It Med. Polish and a med. wool pad on my buffer is working wonders. I gave up on the polishing for now to get the boat back on the trailer.

Got it back on the trailer, outboard mounted, interior wiring for acc. and what not, and got about 40% of my carpeting done. I also fixed that **** steering wheel position! Got the console all set up with paint, new steering wheel, AM/FM/CD player, tach, temp, and voltage gauges. Also Got most all of my hardware and engine parts in now. Pinstriped the trailer and added some bearing buddies (don't know if I covered that in my last post), new front bow stop/rest, and new winch cable.

And best of all filled the boat and live well and not one leak!

Tomorrow I'll be installing the floor, console, controller, more wiring, and working up the front deck.

I'll post up some pics as soon as I find my memory card.... :?

Well here are the pics...

Side note I wish I could clean this hull up a little better.... It's bad looking in the pics but not that bad in person but still aside from sanding before the polish looks like I'm going to have to deal with it.....

I will also when done post a cost of this build for anyone else interested.... Let's just say I'm way over what it could be worth but, it will pay for it's self after a few years of "problem free" (knock on wood) use.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

First time I've run across your build.

Nice work =D>

Latest posts