Want to start modifying my 15' V-Hull that i just got

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanbird_87

Reaction score
I finally got my boat sea worthy!! It is a 15' V hull 1972 Monark with a 79 25hp Johnson on it and an old motorguide trolling motor. I had to do a few things to the trailer its on such as new rims and tires and leaf springs and to the boat i repositioned the trolling motor to make it more secure and gave the gas motor new spark plugs, new wires, new water pump and and two transom mount bolts instead of big wood screws. There are also a few other modifications i want to do to the boat. I want to add a deck to it (not a real high one) with some storage space such as a rod locker, a live well, and a place to keep battery out of my way. The boat has three bench seats in it that if i could take the middle one out to provide more space. But the middle seat is riveted in. How could i remove it, and if so will i lose hull support and could this support be replaced or would it affect the boats performance drastically? If anyone has any suggestions please reply. I plan to get pics up soon so bare with me.

One word...DON'T. You will loss the support the seat provides which results in flex in the hull. With alum you will shorten its life and are asking for failure of the hull structure.

Frank

lcdr frank said:
One word...DON'T. You will loss the support the seat provides which results in flex in the hull. With alum you will shorten its life and are asking for failure of the hull structure.

Frank

If you can supply some other kind of support in the seats place it is ok to remove the seat imo. Many have done it on this board, but it really depends on what kind of water you plan on getting into.

Got some pictures today and also started working on front deck let me know what yall think.
100_0412.jpg

100_0411.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0431.jpg

100_0428.jpg

100_0425.jpg

I would say it has potential! The front support for the front deck, how is that supported, looks like it is screwed to a factory bench correct?

Also, yes you could take your middle seat out, I sure know I would want to, but yes you would be losing some support/structural integrity, so yes you would want/need to do some redneck engineering to make up for this, but it certainly can be done. I haven't done it personally, but there are so many examples on this site of people doing it, seemingly successfully. As well as different schemes for bracing it up etc., that I conclude yes you can! So do some lurking, get some ideas, and I'm sure you'll figure out a way to do it! I think it will be a lot of work though...

Hows that motor run? If I were you if the rig is in usable condition then I would be using it right now! I got my rig over a month and a half ago and thought I could be on the water in a week, well a month and a half later and it hasn't been wet. And the bass are biting. I'm just missing some linkage for my steering, as soon as I get that then all mods stop for now!

The front support for the deck is screwed into the front seat and it supports the front deck nicely. I have a few more pics of the front deck carpeted and with a seat on it so as soon as i get the time i will post it. Also, the motor runs great! only porblem is that it sometimes wants to jump out of gear, maybe the clutch dog. I need a new prop for it cause its all dinged up and scratched. I have had it on the water fishing about four times since I've had it. Only thing is I took it off the trailer to start paint about a week ago and have not even touched it yet because of school. But school is almost out and i should resume progress soon, hopefully tomorrow. Thanks for the pointers, though.

Finally got some pics of the painting process! 4-27-10 I used paint stripper to remove the paint from the boat. Worked very well but messy. Also got the tongue of the trailer painted black instead of it looking rusty. Hopefully, I will apply paint to it Thursday afternoon!! Let me know what u think.

100_0455.jpg

100_0454.jpg

100_0456.jpg

100_0457.jpg

100_0458.jpg

Some more updated pics 4-29-10. These are some pics of the primer application. Hopefully i can put some paint on later this afternoon!!!

100_0459.jpg

100_0460.jpg

100_0461.jpg

100_0462.jpg

I have a 14' and removed the center bench seat in mine, I have photos of the mods done to strengthen the hull here is the link to my posts on this site. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10823 If you have any questions hit me up.

Nah, Bottomdweller, in the first few pics on page 1 the tongue is all rusted and stuff. All i did was grind that rust off and paint it black just to make it look a little more decent.

Here are the pics of the new paint job!!!! Painted it Friday morning and let it dry upside down until today aroun 4 o'clock. I really like the way the color (Forest Shade) turned out. Now all i got to do is get my registration put on Monday and maybe some sort of decal!? Also got to looking at the carpet on my trailer bunks and i think i might need to replace the carpet on them.

100_0463.jpg

100_0464.jpg

100_0465.jpg

100_0466.jpg

100_0467.jpg

100_0468.jpg

After paint got all my stuff put back onto my boat!!! Ready to go fishing now until I start working on it again!!! Tell me what you think.Still got some work to do to the inside though.

100_0472.jpg

Those wooden blocks were added to help support the transom.
100_0471.jpg

100_0470.jpg

100_0469.jpg

Latest posts