Dyeguy's 1648 Mod- Pics Update... DONE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tore into the hubs for the first time since I got the boat. The bearing buddies sure did their job. There was water on the outside of the seal, but none inside, meaning no rust. Everything was in decent order, although I'd like to replace the bearings (or possibly the entire hub) some time this summer.

Loaded them back up with grease, and hopefully they'll be good to go. I've been getting in a good amount of fishing since I got the front decks done, meaning I haven't gotten much done on the boat. However, there is rain in the forecast for most of the week, so its a good time to stay in the garage and get some stuff done. Exams are coming up quick, but that means summer is right around the corner. It'll be nice to have an infinite amount of time to work on the boat. I'm ready to be done with this darn thing.

Nice job! I'm looking at the same panel switch and was wondering if it came with the fuses or if you did that on your own? How has it worked for you so far (well-constructed, solid, waterproof, etc.)? Once again nice job on this mod!

dyeguy1212 said:
Tore into the hubs for the first time since I got the boat. The bearing buddies sure did their job. There was water on the outside of the seal, but none inside, meaning no rust. Everything was in decent order, although I'd like to replace the bearings (or possibly the entire hub) some time this summer.

Loaded them back up with grease, and hopefully they'll be good to go. I've been getting in a good amount of fishing since I got the front decks done, meaning I haven't gotten much done on the boat. However, there is rain in the forecast for most of the week, so its a good time to stay in the garage and get some stuff done. Exams are coming up quick, but that means summer is right around the corner. It'll be nice to have an infinite amount of time to work on the boat. I'm ready to be done with this darn thing.

Where do you go to school?

I know what you mean, after a while you just want to be finished, but it seams like you never get done..

Oakland University

The switch panel has worked great. The fuses come with it, pre-wired. It has a seal around the edge, and each switch is covered, so I'd assume its perfectly waterproof. With that being said, I haven't tested it out yet.

dyeguy1212 said:
Oakland University

The switch panel has worked great. The fuses come with it, pre-wired. It has a seal around the edge, and each switch is covered, so I'd assume its perfectly waterproof. With that being said, I haven't tested it out yet.

Thanks for the good info.

Froggy said:
" infinite amount of time..." nice, wait till you get out of school! :lol:

Gotta be honest, I'm enjoying it while I can. I fully understand that the number of summer vacations I have left are limited, so I'm going to use them to the best of my ability. I'll be setting my alarm clock every day :lol:

Alright I finally got some time to get some work done! [-o<

Got the fishfinder and GPS installed, and everything seems to work good. Hopefully the on-the-water tests will result in little transducer adjustments.

I also got the remainder of the wiring done, including the stern light, and my bluewaterled cargo light. I planned to use one light for my trolling motor pedal, but decided to put it in a little gap on the front deck to light my rodsaver area. Hopefully some of the light will reach the rest of the deck too.

The stern light was an absolute PITA. The wires came out of the plug (its ancient), and I'm not willing to pay for a new one. So I heated up the soldering gun, and melted away a bunch of plastic until I got to the metal tabs, and soldered the wires to them. Came out stronger than it was originally, and it works perfect. Gotta love the rig jobs.

I turned all the loose wires into a wiring harness with 3 rolls of electrical tape, and things are a lot more manageable now. I wish I have before and after pics, because it was a real headache before.

I also got my bilge and livewell pumps going again, because both hoses kinked up as they were exposed to the spring heat. I had to shorten them up and re-route them a bit to get everything back in order. I also epoxyed the bilge pump to the hull in the tansom area, because it was rattling around, and I had no idea how it's actually supposed to be mounted. It's not like I was going to screw it down into the hull and have screws hanging out of the bottom :roll:

But now that all is said and done, the rear deck is ready to go in. I can't decide if I want to enclose it all, or leave it somewhat open. I like it how it is now because I can throw a ton of stuff back there, but I like bass-style back decks as well.

Any input?

oh, and pics to come.

Dyeguy, The boat looks great, Im insanely jealous. I love what you have done.

Do you have a dollar total? I am Curious

Haven't kept track, and for good reason. I can't afford this boat anymore :roll:

Its well over 400 (or maybe 500) in materials, between wood, carpet, wiring, pumps, lights, new tools I needed, hardware, and a ton of brackets. Those things add up at .50-1.00 a piece. Then add in the livewell that was well over 200, the TM over 300, batteries, spray paint, a fish finder, new water pump... ehhhh boy.

I'll regret all this when it comes time to start paying off student loans.

Nice looking boat....

I have a ton of cash sunk into my mod as well.... The biggest chunk was the new 4stroke 9.8 that I purchased last summer. I asked the wife if I could sell it and get a Lowe Skorpion with a 9.9hp rigged to it instead and she quickly replied NO NO NO, No more boats!!! I just laughed at her...

Well its pouring rain, so its a good day to work in the garage. Talked to my uncle, and he has a slip on a lake down the street but hasn't put his boat in. So I volunteered to help him get his money's worth but putting my boat there so I can work on my trailer today.

So we're looking at:

Removing some of the old paint
New paint
New bunks, with carpet
Trying to sturdy up the winch post
Removing the guide-ons, because the rattle makes the whole rig look (sound) like garbage when trailering.

Great job! That's a really nice looking boat. Everyone can tell you took your time and did it right. That $ amount doesn't seem to bad either. I can't wait to get working on mine, your boat gave me a lot of ideas.

Got quite a bit done so far. Took it out and powerwashed it, and knocked off a ton of loose paint. Them let it dry while and went to Home Depot and got a wire wheel, and 6 cans of flat black spray paint. I got that off brand stuff that's 98 cents a can, hopefully I won't regret it :lol:

Wirewheeled all the lose stuff (all over the darn thing), along with the stickers, and the pin striping on the fenders. Then took it back out and power washed it again, and its going to sit in the garage over night to try.

Tomorrow it gets new bunks, with new bunk carpeting (got a great deal at BPS) and a new paint job.

Attachments

• Original.JPG
    Original.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 749
  • IMAG0098.JPG
    IMAG0098.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 749
  • IMAG0098.JPG
    IMAG0098.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 749
  • IMAG0096.JPG
    IMAG0096.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 749
I was one bolt away from putting the bunks back on, and of course I broke it off :roll:

Here are a couple pics prior to putting everything back together. Hopefully I'll beat the rain and get everything done tomorrow

Attachments

• IMAG0097.JPG
    IMAG0097.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMAG0098.JPG
    IMAG0098.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 738
  • IMAG0099.JPG
    IMAG0099.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 738

Latest posts