My 1st 16' jon boat Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brholth8

Reaction score
Hello everyone I started my 16' jon boat mod within the last week. It's not going to be fancy by any means because I'm broke so have to go the cheaper way or do a little at a time.

Attachments

• 16' before.jpg
    16' before.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 11,356
I really don't have any tools or anything like that i use the same old skilsaw for all my cuts, and the only help i have is my clamps. I had to fix quite a few rivet leaks and little holes and am hoping jb waterweld and jb weld will hold it. Heres the boat after got all the junk out of it from previous owner

Attachments

• before starting(cleaned).jpg
    before starting(cleaned).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11,344
The previous guy had cut the front seat out so I wanted to support the front, and also cover that seat so I'm adding a deck. Have read all jon boat mods and have taken ideas from here and there. I mostly had my planned out but have made a quite a few adjustments.

I have started framing and mostly finished framing. some things i need to do yet are support framing for a seat. I have a seat for the way back and one for the front deck. the middle guy gets to sit on the aluminum boat seat. I'm not going to put a floor in yet because I want to make sure she's sea worthy. I've thompson sealed all the wood once and will make a second coat soon. I did what someone said for the 1st coat and put it all together and then took it apart and sealed.

Nothing wrong with being frugile in your build. I've saved for over a year for mine and, now that I'm at it, I'm finding out I still didn't save enough to do all I wanted. You've got a good start. Looking forward to seeing your progress - cause it's moving faster than mine :LOL2:

ya but faster is definitely not always better. I've just added weight to and still don't know if she floats. so if she doesn't it's going to be twice as hard to flip. flipping a 16' boat is definitely not easy.

brholth8 said:
ya but faster is definitely not always better. I've just added weight to and still don't know if she floats. so if she doesn't it's going to be twice as hard to flip. flipping a 16' boat is definitely not easy.
Just hit her full throttle and pull the plug....the water will run out the back (or go ahead and get a bilge pump installed and tested before you pull the trailer up the ramp!! :LOL2:

Did what you said and just bought the 600 gph bilge pump. Hopefully It'll be good enough. lol. I need more ideas though. the plug hole doesn't fit the standard plug. Any suggestion on what to do?

brholth8 said:
Did what you said and just bought the 600 gph bilge pump. Hopefully It'll be good enough. lol. I need more ideas though. the plug hole doesn't fit the standard plug. Any suggestion on what to do?

The drain hole is too big for the drain plug? Is that what ur sayin?

yes. the entire plug fits through the hole. I have one of the plugs that you twist until it's tight but the entire thing fits in. anyone know of an easy way to fix it? :x

brholth8 said:
yes. the entire plug fits through the hole. I have one of the plugs that you twist until it's tight but the entire thing fits in. anyone know of an easy way to fix it? :x

Can you take a picture and show us what's going on? Maybe one with the plug out and held next to the hole and then one with it in so we can see the gap?? Maybe after we see it, someone will have an idea.

I've checked at one local store and wal mart with no luck. Im going to look at ebay right now. If no luck I'm going to seal it with hts2000 and make my own.

On Iboats they sell a brass plug kit. It has a fitting that fits on the outside with bolts or screws and then a brass plug screws in. My drain has been distorted and I may have to go to that if my plug leaks more than I'm comfortable with. I agree with going to Walmart and seeing if they have a larger plug first. Good luck!

The previous pic is also going to be my dry storage. This pic is of my 2nd smaller hatch up front. I'm leaving it open on the bottom but is built up on the sides. For anchor storage and other small things that may be wet.

Attachments

• 2nd hatch.jpg
    2nd hatch.jpg
    1,003.6 KB · Views: 4,209
I'm leaving the sides open so I have a place to put my poles. I figure I can slide them up into there with plenty of room. green is pole storage.

Attachments

• pole storage.jpg
    pole storage.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,208

Latest posts