1978 Monark 1654 Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flbigguy1950

Reaction score
Recently I purchased a 16 foot Jon boat for $900. I needed to upgrade because the 14 foot jon boat I was using was too small for me.MVC-878S.JPG The interior had a non-slip coating applied to it but I'd be tripping over the stringers so I chose to add a floor.MVC-879S.JPG I bought treated 2x4's and 3/8 inch plywood. I cut the 2x4's in 4 foot lengths then cut the plywood in 3 inch x 4 foot strips, sprayed them with Johnson Water Seal and screwed them on top of the 2x4's. When a level was placed across the stringers and the wood, they were even. I chose to use white plastic lattice as it won't rot, doesn't get hot, it is lightweight and its durable. I lined everything up and screwed them in place on the wood stringers.MVC-882S.JPG I added a 15 hp outboard and a 55lb thrust trolling motor to get around with. I belong to a Jon Boat Club that only allows up to a 16 foot boat and 15 hp motors or just use the trolling motor as many members do. I may power up to a 25 to 30 hp as I fish two other clubs. MVC-881S.JPG
I mounted my depth finder transponder to make it portable and not to drill more holes in my transom. MVC-887S.JPG I use LED magnetic trailer lights as I've learned those 'waterproof" lights aren't always waterproof. MVC-886S.JPG WE try and keep our Bass alive till weigh in and warm water and Florida heat will cook any fish in a short time. I converted a 30 gallon Igloo cooler into my live well with a aerator. Drop in some ice and keep the water cool and the fish alive.MVC-885S.JPG Lastly I have a balance disability so I'm trying to devise a way to mount two "Walkers" in the boat. One on the bow and the other near the stern when i'm steering the boat. Any suggestions will be appreciated.MVC-883S.JPG, MVC-884S.JPG. That little round thing is an old dehumidifier that acts as a seat until I figure out the mounting.

Normally you don't want pressure wood on an aluminum boat it causes pitting in the aluminum. Since you have a non-slip coating it might not be an issue just keep an eye on it. Don't you worry about things dropping thru the lattice?

For your balance disability maybe a single rail running through the middle of the boat.
You could use seat mounts(bases),mounted in the middle of your seats and attach some type of uprights with cross members.
Welcome to the site.

Latest posts