Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay415

Reaction score
Links to Posts with Pictures

Finished boat
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22353&start=180#p246040

Livewell
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22353&p=247011#p246940

Original Post
I've enjoyed seeing so many of these mods, that I figured it was time to start my own. I've looked for a Jon Boat for a while but everything worth while sells QUICK! So I decided to go with the Alumacraft MV1648 with a 20" transom. The decision was made with the help of some fellow users on this site. I found a 2010 leftover and got a pretty good deal on it as compared to the 2012 models. I took the boat out for some unmodified trials and I definitely made the right choice. Now my fishing season is coming to a close, so now is the time I go into production mode and hopefully have it ready for early spring!

The first pic is the day I brought home and my fishing partner was looking it over.
IMG_0829.jpg

I couldn't wait to get started so I put together a mockup of the front deck, with bow mount Minn Kota Edge 45 foot control TM.
IMG_0843.jpg

I bought a 1999 9.9hp Johnson motor for when I run gas. Motor prob has less than 10 hrs on it.
IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

My plans are to place 2 batteries in the stern for the bow mount TM and run 6 gauge wire to it from a battery switch. And also a TM plug on the transom for when I go electric only with a Minn Kota Edura C2 55 in place of the Johnson.

I mocked up a new idea for the front deck where I went out 3 ribs instead of 2. Added 2 Tempress 1317 Hatch Lids and a pedestal for a seat. I think I like this better. This is probably how I'm going to do it. And that will leave plenty of storage.
IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

So I started building the pieces of the front deck. Since I decided to make it bigger than my original mock up I had to recut all new pieces. I still have a few small support pieces to do. Now I need opinions on my hatch covers. Which way should I position them? The left hatch will be restricted on how much it can be opened in both positions when the TM is in the stowed position. But it will be one big compartment with 2 hatches, so that shouldn't matter too much.

Here is the start of my supports and the full deck.
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

Ok now which way would you lay out the hatch lids?
1?
IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

or 2?
IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

I'm leaning towards option 1, but they will be positioned very close to the pedestal base because of the spacing of the supports.

Great project. Nice to see such a clean boat being improved. I vote option 2 on the hatches because it looks like it would you easier access to the depth of that hatch front to back, and be a little easier to access if you were seated. Either one will work well.

Thanks!
I think your right. Now that I look at the pic of option 1 from the bow view. I'd have to reach over the lid if I was standing on the deck.

I vote option 2 as well. Also, how will these hold up to being stepped on? In the place they are, I can see them getting stepped on quite often.

They are very well made and are designed to be stepped on. So it should be fine. I'll post pics of me stepping on them when I cut the holes. I will let you know how they hold up. I think option 2 is what I'm gonna do.

Firescooby said:
I vote option 2 as well. Also, how will these hold up to being stepped on? In the place they are, I can see them getting stepped on quite often.
OK everything is just pieced together with NO screws right now. Balancing and bouncing on and around the hatch cover and there is no flex at all! Very impressed.
As you can see I went with option 2 and I will be able to open the left hatch a little more than I thought. So far so good and now I have plenty of storage!
IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

Man that looks nice, will look awesome when the carpet gets put on. I'm looking for the same size boat, keep the pics coming.

Cabelas they are made by Tempress. They come in all different sizes. Mine are the 1317 model which is 13" x 17"
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Tempress174-1317-Access-Hatch-with-Cam-Latch/737552.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DTempress%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Tempress&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

After determining exactly where I was going to put the trolling motor, I cut a 2x8 to be attached under the deck. And then another 2x8 on top of the deck. This way when I bolt the TM down I will have plenty of wood for the bolts to bite into.

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

I haven't touched the boat in about a month, but I just got an early Christmas present to boost motivation! Boy, I can't wait til spring!!!
ad4d910d-4caf-6d00.jpg

Latest posts