1648 Semi-V Jon Mod (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to start out by first saying that working with poly resin sucks. You can't stretch it to make it last, it's impossible to "guess" how much you'll need for how much wood you have to coat as they don't provide any sort of "covers X square foot" in the instructions.
I had enough to finish the first coat, but the resin turned to gel before I got done even though I was rushing as fast as I could go....and the stuff gets on everything, so wear proper clothing and gloves and ventillation.....even though I did this in the basement, my whole house stinks!! :D I wish I could have done it in the garage, but winter won't allow for that!...so I'm just living with the nausea.

Ordered the the marine carpet today. Gander Mountain has free shipping on everything so that was a break over BassPro for the same price/grade carpet. Bass Pro didn't have sales tax in my state, but it was only $8..plus I used a coupon code for $20 off. So overall I saved $28 over Bass Pro Shops. If anyone is interested in the code, let me know.

KevinWI said:
...Not looking forward to the wiring...my least favorite task....
that's my favorite part, come finish my deck and I'll wire up your boat! :LOL2:

Lookin good so far!

Custom switch panel arrived. Exactly as I ordered....now I just have to figure out how to wire the livewell timer to it!

Attachments

• 2012-02-02 15.31.26.jpg
    2012-02-02 15.31.26.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,198
  • 2012-02-02 15.30.09.jpg
    2012-02-02 15.30.09.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,198
Jay415 said:
KevinWI said:
...Not looking forward to the wiring...my least favorite task....
that's my favorite part, come finish my deck and I'll wire up your boat! :LOL2:

Lookin good so far!

Deal! I'm a home inspector, so I understand home wiring..but not boat wiring! The colors confuse me as well as grounding.

and Thanks...

wow looks good so far, i wish i had a larger boat to do some of the same stuff

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Sweeeeeet! Where did you order that switch panel?

New Wire Marine. Got it pretty quick too for custom. Wasn't cheap though. Place was recommended to me by RivRunR on this forum.

Testing out the panel and timer on a pump on the kitchen table.....it's a 4 minute video, but you can scroll ahead towards the end...I just timed the cycles is all.
[youtube]WOcS2raRGrY[/youtube]

2nd coat of poly resin was applied today. This time I used a thin nap roller and it worked well...even had some left over. My house stinks from the resin though.....can't wait for that to dissipate.

Note for anyone asking: Rig Rite timer module #520 does not work for two pumps. you will need two timers to make it work.
Found out the hard way today....wired it right but fried the timer using two pumps simutaneously on a single timer...even started to melt the switch. Timer apparently is not rated for the 4.3a that both pumps together pull. Odd part is that these are the Contura switches (common marine type) and it didn't trip the breaker before melting the switch. odd. new switch and timer are on the way. Will just have to wire each switch to one timer/pump.

(Note: Jay, I told you wiring was my least favorite! :evil: :lol: )

KevinWI said:
....wired it right but fried the timer using two pumps simutaneously on a single timer...even started to melt the switch. Timer apparently is not rated for the 4.3a that both pumps together pull. Odd part is that these are the Contura switches (common marine type) and it didn't trip the breaker before melting the switch. odd......
(Note: Jay, I told you wiring was my least favorite! :evil: :lol: )
ouch! What size breaker?

That is odd. I'd call the company that makes the breaker. Sounds like it should have popped if it was wired right.

The consensus is that the timer is not rated for two pumps (no amperage on the product data or timer itself or on rig-rite site) and the fact that when I called rig-rite they didn't know how to wire one timer to two pumps...they stated that boat MFGr's use two timer because they wear out too quick, so that tells you that they are probably not rated to handle two pumps. Breakers and fuses are designed to protect the wire, not switches. There was no way the two pumps were drawing more than 10 amps (both together draw 4.3 max), so that is why the switch overheated but the breaker didn't trip.
I should have just gone with two timers from the start instead of trying to go cheap. Serves me right.

Since carpeting hasn't come in yet and I can't start anything else without it, I spent today removing the old carpeting from the existing floor decking.
Turns out it wasn't really carpet at all. It was felt...the stuff the paper mills use around here for belts. it had no rubber backing...which when you think about it, make's a perfect boat carpeting that won't ever fall apart.....

Trimmed off some of the wood edge to make room when I put marine carpet on as it is about twice as thick. So now it should fit when I re-install. Primed the trimmed wood edge...beautiful day out today too for beginning of February in Wisconsin....would like to do more, but I really can't until the carpet arrives.

So the last week on this build has gone to heck basically. From melting a switch and timer (which I had replaced) to realizing I cut my deck extension 1/2" too short and I now have to cut/fit and waterproof he deck extension all over again...and today the carpet arrived and found out it's basically junk.....the rubber backing is brittle, meaning that it is fraying all over the place...(this is the same carpet that is sold by overtons thru cabela's, Gander and Bass Pro Shops)...and then they tell me this is a non-returnable item????WTF? :evil: They are attempting to work with the drop shipper to get me a return.....like I said....this week has stunk!

Attachments

• 2012-02-08 15.11.52.jpg
    2012-02-08 15.11.52.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,745

Latest posts