Ready to get working on my first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChitownBasser

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Love the site here. I've gone back and read almost all 54 pages of this forums. Some really great work is being done. I found this site through a Youtube video and I have been obsessed since.

A little about myself. I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. From an early age I was hooked (pardon the pun) on fishing. I absolutely love it. Being from the city, I didn't have a lot of opportunities to get out on some water. I did a little lagoon fishing but mainly waited for camping trips to get my fix. Plus, I was the only one in my family who liked to fish. I was on my own and self taught. I was strictly shore fishing. Watching people on boats, hoping one day that would be me. After 31 years of life, I am still a die hard fisherman. I would choose fishing over food and sleep. Sorry I could go on and on.

So I bought my first boat ever this past Friday. I always wanted a boat and I told myself "you only live once, this is the year". After scowering Craiglist Chicago and surrounding areas, I found a decent boat that I liked. According to the title, it is a BSN 14' Rebel. It's a starter boat for me. Nothing extravagant. I've included some pictures in the post. With the help of my brother in law, I plan on modding the boat to suit my needs and comfort.

Here are just some random thoughts...

I plan to use Steelflex on the bottom half of the outer hull for sealing purposes. The prior owner said there was a bit of water beading (a paper towel's worth) on the inside from seem of the hull. Most posters swear by this. I have to call in an order in the next couple of weeks. I am in no rush due to the cold weather that will be here in Chicago for the next month and a half.

I plan to use Rustoleum based paints on the outside upper half and inside.

I've left a lot out as far as prepping and processes. I will post thoughts and questions along the way

Thanks

2012-02-05_11-14-51_HDR.jpg

12-1.jpg

boatlayout.jpg

Pretty boat. Welcome to modding and congrats!

If it was me, and this is just because I am not loaded and try to save my pennies, I would skip on the steelflex. All you have is a bit of water beading on a seam? Use a less pricey solution...

But if you are set on it and have the extra cash to take away from other areas of the project it does seem to be a good product.

I appreciate the feedback Jdholmes. I am not set on the Steelflex. Still planning it out. I might just do the regular steps of prepping everything, priming, and painting. And putting some Gluvit on the inside seem or 5200 sealant. I am not worried about the money too much (not that I have a lot). I want to do it right and have a nice boat for the next 5+ years.

That is a pretty & even matches the trailer! You might just have the smallest leak which really wouldn't require you to use gluvit/steelflex like what JD mentioned. Unless you plan on beaching the boat or the underside is in rough shape I wouldn't even worry about it. If you are planning a full on paint jobs then It would be a good time to do it though.. Be sure to tighten your rivets before coating or sealing. If you fill it with water a bit and watch the underside you will be able to locate your leak easily.

:WELCOME: to Tinboats

Thanks Sixgun. I am working on getting the supplies. I plan for the painting near the end of winter. I don't want to be painting in the cold garage in 30 degree weather. This weekend I want to at least get something done so I will be measuring out the framing for the decks and flooring. They will be totally removable. Pictures to come.

Welcome to the site, and congrats on the rig.

Before you do anything, you need to do a leak test on the boat and verify that what the seller mentioned is in fact the case. If you find some areas are leaking, try bucking any rivets that may be involved with the leak first, then do a leak test again, and post up any pics of problem areas.

I used Steelflex, but it wasn't to stop a leak (and it shouldn't be used for that purpose in my opinion). I used it to make loading the boat under electric only power a bit easier, and as a preventative measure.

Thanks Brine. Rivets scare me. I know what a rivet is but I know nothing about them. I wouldn't know where to start. Not sure what bucking means. I will do a leak test by the weekend.

On a side note. What are the positives and negatives to painting a Herculiner on the lower interior? I seen this done on other mods. Fairly easy to buy ($30) at any auto store.

Yah... rivets scared me too, but after popping a couple thousand during my build, I got over it. #-o

Bucking a rivet is simply tapping the rivet on one side while holding a heavy object (like a sledge hammer) against the other side. All your doing is re-tightening the rivet. If it's near the centerline of the hull (beyond arm's length to reach both sides), you'll need an extra hand. If you run a search for "bucking rivets" on here, you'll likely find plenty of discussions on it, and I believe there is a video as well.

I'm not a fan of Herculiner in boats. It's a bit too agressive of a texture for my taste. I applied it to my trailer though, because I liked the idea of non-skid for walking on getting in and out of the boat and my old trailer paint job got trashed driving on gravel roads to many of the lakes I fish.

Help me understand why you are considering it, and I may be able to guide you to an alternative.

Brine said:
I'm not a fan of Herculiner in boats. It's a bit too agressive of a texture for my taste. I applied it to my trailer though, because I liked the idea of non-skid for walking on getting in and out of the boat and my old trailer paint job got trashed driving on gravel roads to many of the lakes I fish.

Help me understand why you are considering it, and I may be able to guide you to an alternative.

I just want a coating for the floor of my boat. Not for visual purposes. Decking and floor board would likely cover the Herculiner.

Jdholmes said:
I used rustoleum bed liner on mine - cheaper and it gave it a nice hard surface.

Jd was that on the inside? If so, how high did you apply it?

Yah it was the inside just the floor.

I used the spray cans...it was quick and easy...good coverage. I think I used 3 cans...

You can roll it on too, but I preferred the spray.

I hit up Menards today for my mod. I bought some 2x2s for my decking, stainless steel screws (not cheap), and some Thompson's Water Seal. I started my templates for my flooring and deck. Not too hard. This weekend I plan on working on that.
2012-02-08_13-30-42_HDR.jpg

2012-02-08_13-31-07_HDR.jpg

2012-02-08_13-46-42_HDR.jpg

Also, I mentioned in my first post about minor water beading in the seem of the bow. Here it is in the picture. Looks like the prior owner used a sealant. He said it would only soak a paper towel's worth in a day of fishing.
Question: Do I reseal (after I clean out the old sealant) with 3M 5200 or maybe some JB Weld? Or something else?
2012-02-08_13-31-41_HDR.jpg

2012-02-08_13-32-10_HDR.jpg

Thanks JB. I will definitely go back and re-read re-bucking posts for research even if wary about it. Just seems like a hard spot do do so due to the curve of the bow.

I also used rustoleum bed liner the roll on kind, not as rough as hurculiner and I think it turned out great, I did the Whole inside of the boat with it, including the walls where poles and stuff couldnt chip it.

If you're going to deck the boat, keep in mind that the textured coating will hold dirt/debris more than not having it, and putting a deck above all or part of it will make cleaning it/drainage to the bilge that more difficult. I used a paint with a teflon additive on the hull for this reason (and because it was free :lol: ). I had visions of dirt just sliding around on the paint like an egg in a teflon pan and shooting through the drain. I'm sure the paint helps, but because I painted it white...... It stays dirty.

Thanks Brine. Another thing to think about. I didn't even think about that. My decks and flooring will be removable. Cleaning debris should not be hard.

Question: How important is it to have a bilge pump?

Latest posts