Lil Bitz, a 15ft john boat modifcation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gators5220

Reaction score
Hi TinBoats, long time fan and reader and a recent boat owner. I'm in the process of converting a 15ft john boat that I was given with a 18hr johnson (which I sold for 400 bucks), because I have a 25 hp yamaha with a pull & electric start. I'm a University of Florida Alumni so everything on this boat will be orange & blue, gaudy I know but it's my school have to represent. Since it's a small boat I've been adding a lot of stuff to have some sort of organization, as this boat will be used offshore (for snapper, grouper, mahi, & the like when the weather is nice) & inshore (for the trio of reds, snook, & trout) in florida it might give some of those on here a new prespective because it seems many of the boats on here are more midwestern or northern boats. Which is cool, just a different type of fishing here. Any input would be appreciated and I hope y'all like the boat.

Attachments

• boat c.jpg
    boat c.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat a.jpg
    boat a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat b.jpg
    boat b.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 9.jpg
    boat 9.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 8.jpg
    boat 8.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 7.jpg
    boat 7.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 6.jpg
    boat 6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 10.jpg
    boat 10.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 21.jpg
    boat 21.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat 23.jpg
    boat 23.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat12.jpg
    boat12.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat13.jpg
    boat13.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat14.jpg
    boat14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat15.jpg
    boat15.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat16.jpg
    boat16.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat17.jpg
    boat17.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat18.jpg
    boat18.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat19.jpg
    boat19.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat20.jpg
    boat20.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 20,027
  • boat22.jpg
    boat22.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 20,027
That same weekend I also worked on the anchor mount, again to give everything a place to bee so stuff won't be cluttered on the boat. The only thing I want to add to this is a spindle & a pulley to hold & guide my 250yd rope, 25 anchor chain, and 18lb anchor but other than that I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...

I'll take some more photos of the way the motor sits as I realize it's probable hard to see with just one photo of it thus far. On the agenda for the weekend, go catch some snookies and drink some cold beer...

peace everyone...

Attachments

• boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 19,863
  • boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 19,863
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 19,863
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 19,863
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 19,863
Yeah this is a awesome site. It's cool to see a salt build.
I'm thinking of buying a semi v 16ft. For fishing the flats.
so ill see if I can borrow any ideas you come up with.
:D
nice boat I bet it will be killer when done.
john

Thank you sir, actually it handles pretty well offshore as well believe it or not. Got some pics of a tarpoon some permit and a cobia we landed on a quick run of the beach I'll have to get up here...

Nice job. What make of boat is that? I have one like it. The last 2 owners just registered it as a Jon. The data plate is gone along with the brand on the side.

Lonny

I have the same issue Lonny, it was retitled in 1960 and the make was classified as
"unkown". So i won't be much help sorry...

Put some rod racks on today before studying for finals, I have a couple more rod racks I want to put on as I'm going home soon and it'll be nice to have plenty of options to put rods and gear. Everything is orange and blue of course...Go Gators!

Attachments

• boat rod racks.jpg
    boat rod racks.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 19,750
Thanx Jerry, actually two stradics and two sustains, I'm partial to all older Shimano when it was still made in Japan...a lot of their stuff now days is made in maylasia and I'm not very found of that idea. About the transom yes it'll do for now, I'm uploading some more pics of it to show you some more stuff I have planned for it...I'm also contemplating the idea of making duals on this boat at some point, like dual 25hp's, there are a couple of reasons for this which I'm willing to dive into if anyone wants to hear them.

Going to Crystal River camping out this weekend after finals, so I'm hopeful the weather will be as nice as it has been and the fish are hungry!

As always tight lines, cold beer, and Go Gators!

Attachments

• transom1.jpg
    transom1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 19,606
  • transom2.jpg
    transom2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 19,606
  • transom3.jpg
    transom3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 19,606
  • transom4.jpg
    transom4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 19,606
  • transom5.jpg
    transom5.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 19,606
  • transom6.jpg
    transom6.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 19,606
Also I was going to do a little transome stiffening with some 1x aluminum brackets and bolt this back to the main boat...I'll send pics after a trip home to the rents and what not....

As always tight lines, cold beer, and Go Gators!

You're build looks great, I'd love to find a 16~18 foot v hull to take down to the gulf to play around in. Don't think my flat bottom would hold up very long in some chop :shock: ...

Thanks glenn, I'm trying to balance a boat that can do all three types of fishing I do (inshore salt, freshwater, offshore salt on a nice flat day), and simple without a lot of clutter...It's a balancing act for sure. I think one of the best ways to formulate how you like an idea or a layout of the boat however is to fish it and see how she feels. You should be able to find a 16-18 footer for the gulf if you look hard enough...I've got twin 50hp yahama's a few months back for an offshore tin boat myself.

Hi bguy, I'm in Gainesville for school, but I have family in Big Pine (the Keys) and in Vero Beach (where I'm going this weekend after my last final), so I have access to some great fishing. I'm hopeful the mahi are still bitin their blue, yellow, & green tails off next weekend like all my buddies have been sayin that have been, hopefully drop back some pink & white and blue & white skirts and bust some of their faces off haha...

Where are you at?

Here's some pictures from the weekend trip, which we ended up running offshore for most of it as it was nice enough to take my fathers action craft to some wrecks and reefs we know of. Caught about a dozen permit, these are pics of the largest ones, got broke off by a couple of groupa's and even caught some cobia (no pics I think they are on my buddies phone will post later)...o also my biggest cuda on fly to date...I have a few pics of a gator trout and a snookie in lil bitz I will post as soon as my buddy sends me the pics off his phone...

Attachments

• permit.jpg
    permit.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 19,180
  • little larger permit.jpg
    little larger permit.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 19,180
  • dad's permit.jpg
    dad's permit.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19,180
  • barracuda.jpg
    barracuda.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 19,180
My buddy Pat Pat the Water Rat did an excellant job of taking this photos, still don't have the ones from Rob of the huge Gator Trout we took...

Attachments

• troutaction1.jpg
    troutaction1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,933
  • troutaction2.jpg
    troutaction2.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1,933
  • troutaction3.jpg
    troutaction3.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,933
  • troutaction4.jpg
    troutaction4.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,933
Thank you fool to fish, here's a couple of more to keep those whom love to fish intreasted...

Attachments

• bigred1.jpg
    bigred1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,920
  • gator trout.jpg
    gator trout.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,920
  • bass action.jpg
    bass action.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,920
  • just bassin it....jpg
    just bassin it....jpg