Sylvan 14 Seabreeze - Let the Mods Begin! ^COMPLETED^

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TheMaestro said:
Thanks! I see youre making good progress with yours. I remember doing a double take when I first saw your plans with the breakdancing area :LOL22:

Yeah I'm getting close, I need to upload my pics and update my thread. Who knew that break dancing joke would end up following me around :mrgreen:

Well after a full day and a bit, the framing and the 'decking/storage' is all done. As you can see I used bluwood throughout, and I used hurricane ties with the 2x2's. The bluwood (as I siad before) is a new product, non reactive with aluminum, rot proof, bug proof, mould proof.

Next step is to carpet everything.

Ive been wrestling with what to do for a floor since I first was on tinboats.net. I was set to do a wood floor, but after the framing and wood deckng, I really didnt like the idea of raising my floor and trying to brace it. So change of plan, to something I saw a while back and really liked. Im going to use a 1/2inch vulcanized rubber horse stall mat. Its thick enough to give me a smooth floor, but flexible to conform to the curve of the hull. I will also glue carpet to it, givng a soft underfoot feel. Basically just like wrapping carpet on a woodply floor. The underside of the rubber is grooved so I can orient it for water to travel to the drain, plusnI can remove it if need be to clean/dry

Here are the pics
IMG_00000129.jpg
IMG_00000130.jpg
IMG_00000131.jpg
IMG_00000132.jpg
IMG_00000133.jpg
IMG_00000134.jpg
IMG_00000135.jpg
IMG_00000136.jpg
IMG_00000137.jpg
IMG_00000138.jpg

Another long day... I began by carpeting one section, then the adjoining section, trimming.the wood pieces to fit with the carpet, then the next adjoining piece, trimming, and so on untill I made it through all the pieces all fitting together..(more or less...I understand now how other 'modmen' on here can see their own mistakes....Im also seeing my mistakes and uneven cuts, but my family tells me it looks good..)

Youll notice the finishing pieces on the original benches dont extend all the way down, allowing some of the original bench tin to show...I like this look over complete carpeting to the bottom, so thats why i did it that way...

The side compartments are hinged and open up, as well as the gas tank side ofnthe stern deck folds up.

I havent yet put the floor in...Im going to check out all my matting options some more...

Oh and the boat seat is one of three Im putting int...its just there for show...:)

Phew! Im WIPED!

IMG_00000138.jpg
IMG_00000139.jpg
IMG_00000140.jpg
IMG_00000141.jpg
IMG_00000142.jpg
IMG_00000143.jpg
IMG_00000144.jpg
IMG_00000145.jpg
IMG_00000146.jpg
IMG_00000147.jpg

So my next steps include buying and installing a hatch for the bow anchor storage area, as well as one for behind the captains chair in the stern. Im going to either fabricate or buy some rod holders too. And finally decals/lettering.

Looks good man =D> =D> =D> =D>

Be sure to hide the list of receipts from the wife though :LOL2: :LOL2:

I know....i have the receipts in a pile, but I havent totalled them, im not sure I want to know either! I remember reading sgt. Stiglitz build and him saying these little tinnies add up....BUT its still cheaper than buying new, and at least we can all say our builds are truly 'custom' :beer:

Im having a tough time deciding whether to install boat seats at the bow, middle and stern. Whem I mock them up, it looks cluttered and its very difficult to move from stern to bow. Most of the time my 'passengers' will be my daughter in the middle and my wife at bow, but I will need to move around to help them. Now Im thinking of just having a 'captains' chair at stern, and leaving the others empty with just cushions for comfort... Any thoughts would be appreciated! :idea:

Finally had time to work on the rig again, and its getting closer to being done. I decided to line the insides of the storage compartments with carpeting. This will deaden any objects that would otherwise rattle against the hull. While I was at it, I also lined the inside of the lids with a marine vinyl that looks likes cloth:

IMG_00000152.jpg

IMG_00000151.jpg

I also decided to carpet the inside of the stern compartment that will house the gas tank but also has what I call the 'glovebox' area:

IMG_00000150.jpg

I also lined the cover of this area as well, and cut out a hole for my vent to help with gas vapour. Im going to use a simple heating floor vent that I will paint grey or black with Krylon Fusion. I tried using valspar, but it didnt take.

IMG_00000149.jpg

IMG_00000148.jpg

I also got some deck plates, a larger one for the other side of the stern and another for the bow. I will also paint these to match. When I install them Im going to attach a ripstop nylon stuff sack to the deckplate flanges to create storage.

IMG_00000153.jpg

IMG_00000157.jpg

Finally, after thinking hard about my seating, I decided that mounting the swivel boat seats I bought was too cluttered and not flexible enough for moving around. Id like to be able to sit in different areas, and I realized that even shuffling over to the port side meant not being able to sit in the swivel which I would have mounted on the starboard side. So, after searching, I decided to go withnthese deluxe stadium seats which are very comfortable, strong and I can put them where I want or just fold them up and not have them in the way:

IMG_00000154.jpg

IMG_00000155.jpg

IMG_00000156.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_00000148.jpg
    IMG_00000148.jpg
    985.9 KB · Views: 1,588
  • IMG_00000158.jpg
    IMG_00000158.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 1,588
Finished mounting transom diamond plate on the outside and plain aluminum plate on the inside. Also installed a ribbed ruubernlining on top of the transom to protect it there too.

All deckplates and gas vent are painted, and Ill be installing them tomorrow.

IMG_00000159.jpg

IMG_00000160.jpg

IMG_00000161.jpg

So I finished installing my deckplates with drybags. I got the idea from what kayaks use for storage. I didnt use traditional hatches because the cheapest hatch I could find either via shipping to Canada (eg from Great Lakes Shipping or Cabelas) of even ones from the local marine supply store were @$90 each. So,the deckplates were $10 andthe drybags also the same each.I like the results, and now I have real dry storage, plus stuff isnt rattling in the bow. I didnt put a dry bag in the stern, as that deckplate is larger and i may just leave it as starboard stern access.

IMG_00000162.jpg

IMG_00000163.jpg

IMG_00000165.jpg

IMG_00000164.jpg

Chitownbasser was the first mod I saw here that incorporated cargo netting as added storage on the seat 'bulkheads'. I decided to use that idea and I ran into the same problem he did, and im sure others too....Most cargo nets come in one size...TOO BIG. Smallest most common size I found at Lowes, Canadian Tire, HomenDepot and Walmart was 48" x24"... So after visiting all these places, I bought one with the idea of modifying it to give me 2 usable cargo nets.

When I got it home, I saw that its basically a net with a bungee cord as its frame, and four hooks to hook it in your cars trunk. I removed the clips and cut the net and bungee in half giving me two 24x24 pieces.I then un-weved the bungee cord out of the net and re-weaved in to make the new frame and 12x24, which is the size I needed. I tied the bungee ends in a knot, cut the excess netting carefully and then used a small butane torch to seal each frayed cut of netting. This took about an hour as it is tedious and requires some planning and manipulation of the net.

I then attached the cargo nets using insulated (rubber coated) electricians staples that I hammered in. Finally, I used some 3M outdoor clothtape I had to create a smooth edge where I cut and heated the netting.

IMG_00000166.jpg

IMG_00000167.jpg

This is where Im at with all my progress:
IMG_00000168.jpg

Latest posts