IDAHOAUGER's New Lowe L1436 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDAHOAUGER

Reaction score
Here is my new L1436 Lowe Jon Boat. I realize this will not be as complicated or challenging as many of the amazing boat conversions I have seen by members fixing up very old and beat-up boats, but I got a great deal on this one at Cabela's. Looking to do a very simple clean conversion to make it more comfortable to fish in. I also got a nice package with the trailer and a new Nissian 8hp motor. Will be adding progress photos soon.

Attachments

• IMG_6781.JPG
    IMG_6781.JPG
    913.3 KB · Views: 10,946
  • IMG_6779.JPG
    IMG_6779.JPG
    922.7 KB · Views: 10,946
Those are nice boats and you got a good motor to go with it.

It's not going to need much to get comfortable.

Congrats on the new boat! What are you wanting to mod on it?

spotco2 said:
Those are nice boats and you got a good motor to go with it.

It's not going to need much to get comfortable.

Congrats on the new boat! What are you wanting to mod on it?
Thanks, I have more progress photos that I just need to add very soon. Simple carpeted floors over the ribs, comfortable bass boat style seats and a small deck between the front deck and the center bench with a seat and a single hatch for storage. Nothing too fancy but want a simple and clean fishing boat.

Some work on the ply-wood flooring.

Attachments

• IMG_7860.JPG
    IMG_7860.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10,868
  • IMG_7775.JPG
    IMG_7775.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,868
Center flooring. Before adding the carpet adhesive I put several coats of Thompson Water Seal on the ply-wood allowing it to dry between coats. I had read on this site that the water seal could damage the aluminum so I ensured that the wood which directly contacts the boat is covered with carpeting.

Attachments

• IMG_8111.JPG
    IMG_8111.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG_8107.JPG
    IMG_8107.JPG
    674.7 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG_8104.JPG
    IMG_8104.JPG
    837.6 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG_7885.JPG
    IMG_7885.JPG
    722.3 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG_7883.JPG
    IMG_7883.JPG
    671.7 KB · Views: 10,863
  • IMG_7884.JPG
    IMG_7884.JPG
    779.7 KB · Views: 10,863
I simply cut out plywood to lay over the rear bench area where I will also mount the swivel/slide seat. At first I thought about building a hatch to cover the rear area for the gas tank and battery but decided to simply keep this area open to easily access the gas tank, etc. Anywhere I can avoid extra weight from the lumber I did so. Since this plywood section lays fully supported ontop of the rear bench, I also used a thinner sheet of plywood to save on extra weight.

Attachments

• IMG_8112.JPG
    IMG_8112.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,827
  • IMG_8139.JPG
    IMG_8139.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,827
  • IMG_8140.JPG
    IMG_8140.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10,827
inlovewithsurfin said:
boats looking good! you work pretty fast! cant wait to see some on the water pics!
Thanks!...Yeah, I can't take credit for working too fast as I did most of the work this past summer off and on and finally going back and finding these progress photos to post as I get them organized. I am still not 100% done but very close. I am taking vacation time off this week and going up to my annual deer hunting camp tomorrow for the opening of deer season here in Idaho, but I will try to get out on the lake for fishing one day late in the week. I will be sure to get some on the water photos!

The rear bench area with carpeting. I picked up a seat base chair slide so my seat can slide towards the center of the bench and also slide towards the right side so I can easily reach back to grab the tiller to steer. I also mounted a 360 degree swivel base on top of the slide so I can turn the seat anyway I want. The plastic sheet hanging out from under the carpeted plywood is temporary until I get the bottom of the wood carpeted since I did not want the water sealed wood touching the aluminum. As stated above, I decided to keep the rear fuel tank/battery compartment open as opposed to building a hatch over the area for access. Keeps it simple I think and less weight. I am never away from my boat when I am out so not too worried about theft which would make a closed hatch with a lock more worthwhile I suppose.

Attachments

• IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,749
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,749
If you decided you wanted more deck space for the rear, you could always go back and rivet in some aluminum angle and make a piece of wood that would sit on top of the angle... you never know when you're going to need that space to walk around on if you start fighting the fish of your life!

Installed a nice comfortable "bass boat" type seat from Cabela's.

Attachments

• IMG_8598.JPG
    IMG_8598.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10,738
Nice job on your boat.
I just want to say(this might be overkill)have you thought about moving your battery forward in the boat?
Is your motor electric start and the battery for a bow trolling motor?
Only reason I ask this question is that gas fumes are heavier then air and maybe they could get trapped in the opening you made...a spark from the battery terminals and o oh.Like I said maybe I'm overthinking this,it is open to air.
What are other people doing,battery in same compartment as fuel?

You don't have to worry so much about that since the compartment is completely open.

All of my bass boats had batteries and gas tanks under a closed hatch that was vented. As long as it's vented, you're good to go.

Zum said:
Nice job on your boat.
I just want to say(this might be overkill)have you thought about moving your battery forward in the boat?
Is your motor electric start and the battery for a bow trolling motor?
Only reason I ask this question is that gas fumes are heavier then air and maybe they could get trapped in the opening you made...a spark from the battery terminals and o oh.Like I said maybe I'm overthinking this,it is open to air.
What are other people doing,battery in same compartment as fuel?
The battery is for the trolling motor but I will likely move the trolling motor forward due to mounting issues anyway.

Latest posts