Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wife and I have been dealing with colds this week, so my project this weekend was just doing a minor adjustment. We had our best fishing year since we moved to Georgia. Maybe we are starting to figure out some patterns. The boat worked well for us this year. There were 2 things that we wanted to improve. First the seats were not real comfortable on a long day, so we changed out the seats over the holidays. Second the Anchormate for the front anchor wanted to reel line in high on the reel which was an issue. So I made a 1/2" spacer today and remounted the Anchormate. I think it will correct the problem.

This continues to be the best site on the web. We got a lot of new members this year and there are a lot of great projects going on.

Attachments

• Anchor Mate 005.jpg
    Anchor Mate 005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,721
  • Anchor Mate 004.jpg
    Anchor Mate 004.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,721
  • Anchor Mate 002.jpg
    Anchor Mate 002.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,721
  • Anchor Mate 001.jpg
    Anchor Mate 001.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,721
Howard said:
Those seats look very comfortable :)

I hope so Howard! The weather looks pretty decent for the weekend so we are going to see if we can try them out :LOL2: :LOL2:

Got a gift this weekend, 70 degree weather. Got out on Saturday and Sunday. The anchor winch adjustment worked well. It was real slow on Saturday, but we got into them on Sunday. Nothing big. We released everything because we have enough in the freezer and I was to lazy to clean any more fish. This was the first time i have ever been able to fish open water in January.

Attachments

• 011313b.jpg
    011313b.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 011313a.jpg
    011313a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,603
is the height of the stock front deck and center bench pretty close to even? Im picking up a 1648 tomorrow and debating between the no center seat and the style you have. I was hoping to be able to connect a deck flush with the front deck and flush with the center bench seat, so I can use your idea and put the batteries in the compartment. Thanks!

JoshKeller said:
is the height of the stock front deck and center bench pretty close to even? Im picking up a 1648 tomorrow and debating between the no center seat and the style you have. I was hoping to be able to connect a deck flush with the front deck and flush with the center bench seat, so I can use your idea and put the batteries in the compartment. Thanks!
They are very close to being even. You shouldn't have any problem putting on a flush deck. Looking forward to seeing your build!!

hoosier78 said:
Awesome build!! I have a 1648 MonArk and am in the process of doing a lot of copying.

We were born and raised in Elkhart County, Indiana. Where are you fishing in Sullivan? Looking forward to seeing your project.

gillhunter said:
hoosier78 said:
Awesome build!! I have a 1648 MonArk and am in the process of doing a lot of copying.

We were born and raised in Elkhart County, Indiana. Where are you fishing in Sullivan? Looking forward to seeing your project.
I fish Sullivan lake, turtle creek, bass lake, dogwood lake, white river, wabash river and several private lakes and ponds.

How do you do your wood. I just got a Jon boat and stripped it and looking to put a deck and everything in it. I was wondering if you just buy regular ole plywood from like Lowes and then seal it. If so what do you use for your water seal and how you do it?

xXT.WARDXx said:
How do you do your wood. I just got a Jon boat and stripped it and looking to put a deck and everything in it. I was wondering if you just buy regular ole plywood from like Lowes and then seal it. If so what do you use for your water seal and how you do it?

Yes it is just regular plywood from Lowes. (do not use treated wood) I used 3 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane to seal it using disposable foam brushes.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,340
Thank you. I stripped it all out yesterday and I figured the first thing I need to do is stripped all the old paint and fix any leaks. Its been sitting for 2 years. Would you recommend sanding it all down or using the rustoleom aircraft cleaner I have read about on here.

xXT.WARDXx said:
Thank you. I stripped it all out yesterday and I figured the first thing I need to do is stripped all the old paint and fix any leaks. Its been sitting for 2 years. Would you recommend sanding it all down or using the rustoleom aircraft cleaner I have read about on here.
Understand that this boat was new and didn't require refinishing. I have done a lot of metal work and wood work and my preference is to mechanically remove old paint using a wire wheel, heat gun and scraper and, or sanding. Other members have used strippers with great results, it's just not my preference.

Yeah i understood that i was just hoping that you had done it before. lol

Did you glue your carpet onto your wood for your boat or did you just staple it on. Im looking at doing aluminum angle for my supports with a 1/2 thick plywood deck. i may go to 3/4 depending/ My jon boat is only 14 ft long and 32" in the bottom so i know i can't do to much to it weight wise. Im looking at putting a livewell in one of the seats and i know that the foam is in it just in case you sink it so you can retrieve it. I wonder if i was to just take out enough to put in a livewell or take it all out of 1 and not the other how bad that would do to the boat.

I had also thought about if i took it out to distribute it under the floor that way it would still be in there.

Glued the carpet down. This is what I used.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    Boat Stuff 003.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,514
Thank you sir. I was wondering if I added foam under my deck everywhere there wasn't storage if that would help with flotation or if it make it unstable. I'm a bass fisherman so I want to carry baits with me in totes in my storage compartments and those can get kind of heavy depending on what you got.

xXT.WARDXx said:
Thank you sir. I was wondering if I added foam under my deck everywhere there wasn't storage if that would help with flotation or if it make it unstable. I'm a bass fisherman so I want to carry baits with me in totes in my storage compartments and those can get kind of heavy depending on what you got.
I have all the stock foam in mine. Putting foam under your floor will not make your boat unstable. If you check out the link below it will tell you how much foam you need in your boat. It's a good read.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25283

Latest posts