1995 Grumman 1648 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlmallory

Reaction score
New to the forum. I have been looking around here for some time now and i must say there are a lot of people out there with good ideas and I recently just purchased a 1995 Grumman 16 ft jon boat and it has a 1985 Evinrude 40 hp tiller.I am working on my plans on building the boat but still throwing ideas around in my head. Guess I still have some time with all this snow that we keep getting here in New Jersey. Trying to keep it simple but include everything I want in it. I am always up fro new ideas and suggestions.

Also thinking about a possibly live well but not sure.

Any thoughts on a small swim platform for getting in and out of the back of the boat?

Dylan

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9,908
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    637.2 KB · Views: 9,908
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9,908
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9,908
This will be my design. Gonna hold off on the live well as I have seen it can become very complicated nor do I have the time to put into that.

Attachments

• model.png
    model.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 9,781
That tub you have in your boat pictures would make a good temporary live well. You can fabricate a top for it, get a bilge pump with a long hose to fill it with water. Just hang the pump over the side of the boat. Use the same pump to pump the water out.

That would be a good use for that tub and I will probably go about doing it that way. I do have the lid so I dont have to fabricate one. Lucky me. Originally I was looking for something more permanent with thru hull fittings and multiple pumps to recirculate new water all the time. Something like this but I decided against that.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 9,669
I got a battery powered aerator to hang over the side of mine. By doing the tub like that, you can remove it when you don't need it. This is what I do. It's a lot cheaper too! :D That's a nice looking boat you have too!

Spent the evening rebuilding the water pump on a 1985 evinrude 40 hp along with changing the lower unit oil and replacing spark plugs. Probably gonna redo the carbs while I am at it. Does anyone know where I can get a wire diagram for this engine?

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 9,577
Been too busy working to much. Was able to get the some of the floor supports using aluminum angle riveted in today. Gonna try and finish them up tomorrow and get plywood and test fit it.

Also rewired trailer lights the other day. Everything works with the lights except the brakes. When I apply the brakes in my truck the trailer lights go out. I am pretty sure its the ground connection because the trailer is galvanized.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9,517
Was able to put the pop up tent up today in the rain and work under it and stay dry. Cant wait for spring to be here. Cut the floor out and test fitted it along with a couple pieces in the stern of the boat.

Hopefully the weather will get better so I can work on mocking out aluminum angle for the storage in the bow of the boat.

Debating if I install permanent navigation lights or if I get clamp on lights. Any options ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    979.8 KB · Views: 9,462
Good looking boat man! =D> =D> =D>

About the lights, it depends if you boat after dark. I put permanent lights on my rig, but have yet to use them in 3+ years.

Your flooring is looking good! I have permanent lights on my boats, I know I'd forget to check the batteries and they would corrode on me on the other type.LOL

Worked all weekend long so didnt have much time to get anything done over the weekend. However yesterday I was able to temporally mock up the aluminum angle for the storage area I am building in the front of the boat. All I have left to do is build a small floor for the battery and either attach a battery box or build one out of the angle I have left.

Next step is to cut into the aluminum in the bow of the boat to create storage for the anchor.

Attachments

• Aluminum Box out.jpeg
    Aluminum Box out.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9,307
We have been getting CRUSHED this year. I just started working on my project finally last weekend. Got a free bow mount and A LOT of blue carpet, haha.

Hopefully you are up in North Jersey so you can use that motor to the fullest. All the good lakes around me are electric only.

Im in central jersey but close to the shore. I like to travel up to the Adirondacks and there are plenty of lakes up there.

The pvc skeleton I actually got with the boat from the guy I bought it from. Its very help full but can also be a PITA because if the fittings arent tight it will fall apart very easily.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to cut the front desk floor. I see a lot of people use cardboard to make a temp let out of. Probably a good idea!

Adirondacks? From Central Jersey - that's a haul. You're passing a ton of great lakes in western CT and eastern NY long before you get all the way up there.

When I go away I mean GO AWAY lmao. Up there I have no cell service and nobody to bother me. Just me, the lakes and the outdoors oh and dont forget the bear. And yes I do go to plenty of other areas but prefer up there.

We have bear here in CT...though we have cell coverage too - that one's hard to hide from (apart from turning the phone off). If you've never been to Candlewood Lake (just over the NY/CT line north of I-84) you're missing out. It was rated a top 20 bass lake in the country by Bassmasters...you should see 3 and 4lb smallmouth if you know what you're doing - for tourneys on the lake you can't realistically hope to win with less than 18lbs...not too bad for a northern lake.

Yesterday was a very productive day. I was able to cut the plywood for the back seat covers and once I seal them I will be able to carpet each piece. I used 1/2 in plywood and that was fine for the back and for the floor because there are enough supports under the plywood. I went with 1/2 in for those locations to save weight.

In cutting the front deck out when I went to stand on the plywood I could hear it cracking under my weight especially where the the 3 storage areas that I had boxed out. I am going to go with 3/4 in plywood on the front desk for more stability.

I also was able to place the 2 middle seats that I had built in place. I didnt finish carpeting the side panels for the seat boxes until late last night so I dont have a complete picture.

Also I decided to go with battery operated lights. I dont do much night time boating and when I do these lights are ridiculously bright.

Next step is to attach the side panels for the seats, get 3/4 in plywood and 3/8 in plywood for the side panels to make everything look clean. Also I have to move the rollers on the trailer outwards due to that when anyone gets in or out of the boat the boats leans very dramatically because the rollers are both too close to the middle of the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,962
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 3,962
Really coming together now!!! I'm jealous - I can't be working on mine till Sunday

Got the motor running today but still had some problems. I connect the brand new battery to the motor and when I engage the start button you can clearly hear the solenoid engage but it does not start the starter motor. I bypassed the solenoid by jumping the starter motor. The engine fired and ran for a little while before shutting down. I found that the connection between the fuel line to the engine is allowing air to be sucked in.

Also the motor only ran for about 2 minutes but no water was shot out thru the nipple on the engine. Not sure what the problem is here.

Next order of parts will be
Soleniod
Fuel line plus connectors

Latest posts