1995 Grumman 1648 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before even I had attempted to start the motor I change the lower gear oil, the spark plugs and the complete water pump housing, gaskets and impeller.

I was able to get the front deck cut out and the hatches too. Only thing left for the front deck is to attach the handle and the hinges. Also a floor for the battery .

I tried making a side panel to make everything look clean and I am not exactly sure what I think about it. Any opinions on it?

Transom saver bar. I need one that is atleast 49 in. Any idea where I can get one that long? A majority of the ones I see dont extend past 46 in.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,884
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,883
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3,884
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,883
Got the solenoid in the mail yesterday but wasnt in a rush to do anything with it as it was 33F outside and blowing 30 mph winds. Hopefully the rain will hold off and I can do it this weekend.

This weather just sucks!!!

Was able to install the solenoid yesterday and she was a little hard starting and I just injected some gas right into the cylinder but once she started she ran like a champ. Shifted gears fine, idled and picked up throttle fine and also charged the battery when I was not at idle. My only issue is that to shut the engine off I had to use the kill switch. The off button is not working.

Will upload pictures later.

Next step it to find 2 or 3 days of nice weather to seal all of the plywood so it can be carpeted. Also looking into possibly getting the engine tuned up.

Dmv told me that for the trailer I need a notorized bill of sale even though I have the previous registration?

Here are two photos of the engine running.

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,809
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,809
Well since it was nice enough to rain all weekend long I wasnt able to do much on the boat. However I did get the carpet I am going to use and I carpeted the seat boxes for the boat. I had already sealed these pieces of wood a while back. Hopefully tuesday I can seal the rest of the wood with Thompson water seal.

List of things left to do
-finish wiring side marker lights on trailer
-seal all wood
- carpet everything
- re-install everything
-mount back two seat swivels
- mount bilge with thru hull fitting
-install tow hooks to transom.
- build battery floor
-box out front hatch
- install courtesy light
- install navigation lights.

- register boat and trailer.

Attachments

• -3.jpeg
    -3.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,791
Sealed all the plywood yesterday. I am considering still wrapping everything in a plastic coating to add an extra layer to prevent rotting. Any opinions? Wont be able to do much this weekend Hopefully next week I can start getting the boat vacuumed out from all the saw dust and install carpet.

Not sure but I was told that in NJ to register a trailer you need the previous registration plus a notarized bill of sale?

The boat I am not worried about registering as I have the title and previous registration though it is from 1995.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,773
I would think that the plastic would have a tendency to trap moisture against the wood. Which would obviously promote rot. Though a sheet of plastic between the carpet and plywood may prevent the carpet from holding moisture against the wood. Personally though I would stick with sealing and carpeting.

Usually with boat decking manufacturers bond a layer of fiberglass to the plywood rather than a sealing agent like Thompson's which has to be re-applied...dunno how well that will work for you now that the Thompson's been applied, though I can't think of a reason for it to be an issue. Marine fiberglass is pretty easy to work with - it's much thinner than automotive, you apply it with a roller so it's no where near as messy as if you'd needed a putty knife to spread it...just a thought.

Havent had too much time to work on it or update my progress as I have been way to busy with other things. Last thursday however I was able to get some carpeting done on the floor, the front deck and a couple back deck pieces. Hopefully in the coming week I can get everything registered and be able to take it out for a ride.

Attachments

• 4-3-14-2.jpeg
    4-3-14-2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,070
  • 4-3-14-4.jpeg
    4-3-14-4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,070
  • 4-3-14-35.jpeg
    4-3-14-35.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,070
Yesterday I was able to install the switches to control the electric and the 12 v accessory plug. I ran the wires for the bilge but didnt have all the connections to finish that. There are only a couple things left I have to wire including finishing the bilge, and the fish finder.

I still have to mount the tow hooks and thru hull fitting for the bilge. I need to find away to mount the Nav Lights and Cleats and also mount the swivels for the back seats. And Last but not least finish all the hatches.

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,050
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,050
wow what can I say; great job on the carpeting. Looks better than some boats I've seen come new from the manufacturer. One quick question what brand/type of carpet did you use? I've been trying to decide this for quite some time now.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348053#p348053 said:
ccm » 09 Apr 2014, 10:16[/url]"]wow what can I say; great job on the carpeting. Looks better than some boats I've seen come new from the manufacturer. One quick question what brand/type of carpet did you use? I've been trying to decide this for quite some time now.

Thank you!

I went with basic Indoor/Outdoor carpert. Nothing fancy or anything. I got the carpet from Homedepot.

Attachments

• image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 2,024
I was able to get a lot done over the weekend. Installed the back seats on swivels and finished 2 out of the 3 hatches on the front deck. I installed the fish finder and the transducer along with the thru hull fitting for the bilge. I am still waiting on the speed paddle for the fish finder.

I figured out a way to hide the bright blue tubing on the side of the boat with carpeted side panels. And I also got the boat registered. Waiting on the 3m5200 to completely dry up and hopefully soon it will be out on the water.

Attachments

• 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,989
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,989
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,989
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    950.3 KB · Views: 1,989
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,989
Was able to get a couple things done yesterday.

Installed the new cable for the winch and drilled holes in the back of the boat for the tow hooks. Also got in the mail the new cover. Fits better than I thought it would. I was concerned it was gonna be too narrow as I have seats that sit up higher than the top of the boat. Just have to figure something out to hold it up in the middle so water doesnt sit on the cover.

I boxed out part of the anchor hatch but still have to do some more on that and also cut the hinge for that hatch.

Starting to run out of things to do.....

Attachments

• 4-16-14 - 2.jpg
    4-16-14 - 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,960
  • 4-16-14 - 1.jpg
    4-16-14 - 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,957
Nice job you completed. I have a 1989 Grumman Renegade that I decided to update this winter. Same as you the weather here was a pain, extended my planned completion date by 30 days.
Like how you added the framing for the front deck, easy access to your switch panel, and dressed it out.
Checkout the site I created for the project I did.
The link is in my signature.

Enjoy the boat.

Took the boat out for its maiden voyage yesterday. Everything worked great and it was alot better of a ride than I thought it would be.

Only had one problem. When I would put the engine in drive everything worked fine. But when I would put the engine in reverse it would shift to reverse but didnt have any power to move the boat in reverse.

After having it on the water I added the speed sensor for the fish finder. Curious to know how fast I was going as that little boat was moving!!!

Not much left to do. I have to finish boxing out the anchor compartment, trim one of the front hatches to make a better fit, and make a windshield to protect the fish finder from spray and finish up the side panels.

Attachments

• 4-20-14-5.jpg
    4-20-14-5.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 1,907
  • 4-20-14-7.jpg
    4-20-14-7.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 1,906
  • 4-20-14-8.jpg
    4-20-14-8.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 1,906

Latest posts