Trolling motor swap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfa1964

Reaction score
New to the forums here! Just purchased a 1982 Bass Tracker with the original trolling motor on it. Have a newer one to replace it with but the plugs are very different. Both are 12 volt Motor Guides. Older is a 28lb thrust and the newer one is a 40lb. Is it as simple as changing out the receptacle on the bow or is it more involved. Oh yeah, I know very little about wiring. Thanks for replies in advance.

If the plug and receptacle are in good shape, just cut the plug off the old TM and splice it onto the new TM.

While I have no specific knowledge of your model of boat, I would check the size of the wire going to the original plug. The new motor will require more current and therefore may need a little larger wire. If the manufacturer offered a larger trolling motor as an option, the wires are probably big enough. Just something to think about.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346873#p346873 said:
bgeddes » 30 Mar 2014, 20:52[/url]"]While I have no specific knowledge of your model of boat, I would check the size of the wire going to the original plug. The new motor will require more current and therefore may need a little larger wire. If the manufacturer offered a larger trolling motor as an option, the wires are probably big enough. Just something to think about.
+1 Don't just assume that the existing wiring will handle the extra amp draw or you may end up burning up some wires and possibly having to deal with a fire. :shock:

Thanks for the input, I wouldn't have thought about the wiring not being heavy enough. Any advice on what guage to replace it with?

Here is a link to Minnkota with a chart on what you will need for wire.

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/General/What_gauge_wire_and_fuse_is_needed_for_my_motor_/

In the process of doing the swap. Unwrapped the tape from the plugs, and on the older motor 2 wires to running to the plug. On the newer motor, also 2 wires coming out. However when they ran it to the plug they separated each lead into 2 halves as the plug has 4 prongs on it. So I have a red lead with 2 ends and a black lead with 2 ends. Is it ok to reverse the process on both plugs so it wil match the receptacles? Thanks!

You can do it either way. If the pins are not large enough to handle that size wire and you have 4 pins you can divide them up but if the pins are heavy enough to hold all of the wire strands you can do it with 2 pins.

Latest posts