is this safe?? trailer hitch height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trailer itself looks pretty level to me? the boat looks to be up on rollers or the bunks arent level. As light as that boat is, i wouldnt worry about the 1 1/4" hitch at all.

If it pulls straight and doesn't bring the motor close to the ground I wouldn't worry about it. To me it would be counterproductive to add weight and weak points with all kinds of adapters and such just to get it level. As long as it is secured to the trailer it isn't going anywhere. I would use it and enjoy it if it were me, it doesn't appear to be a heavy boat/trailer combo. I pulled a decked out boat with my minivan and a 1 1/4'' hitch for years. We crossed Pennsylvania several times without a problem.

Might as well use what you bought. It's a light boat and it's level now. Not sure about the smaller trailers, but the larger ones have some built in camber and toe in. Having it level will get you longer tire life. And just in case you go over a dip in the road, your less likely to drag your skeg.
I do think you should have searched a little more for a drop ball mount that would have fit you receiver.

Here's one on amazon. Curt MFG. Class 1 1 1/4" Ball Mount Hitch
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-MFG-Class-Mount-Hitch/dp/B0052KB4KI

Thanks for all the replys guys I went fishing it was all good

Attachments

• IMG_20150330_080212697.jpg
    IMG_20150330_080212697.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,857
  • IMG_20150330_071118575.jpg
    IMG_20150330_071118575.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,857
Looking at the date stamps on the thread I'm betting the OP has come to resolution on this by now, but for people browsing around looking for thoughts ... seems like a larger tire/rim combo might be an option to at least partially mitigate. Obviously budget and the characteristics of the ramp enter the equation as well.

I bought a used trailer with 8" rims off Craig's List that hung off the back of my truck at a ludicrous angle. Needed tires, I didn't trust the bearings, and I hated the lug bolt (instead of lug nut) set up.

I installed new hubs and 13" rim/tires. My recollection is it was about $160 total. Been trailering my 14' Duranautic with it past 3 years with no issues. Still not completely level, but way way better. Stacking hitch adapter on top of drop adapter doesn't seem like a long term wise move. Peace of mind is priceless.

By the way, if you buy a used trailer, remember to check the lug bolt torque before you drive it home. This purchase lost a wheel, at speed, on I-95 through North Philly; which was … exciting. :oops:

As light as that boat and trailer are, you're fine. A single axle trailer can handle a lot of being out of level before it becomes a problem. The drop hitch with all the extra pins and angles will increase stress on some parts but this stuff is overbuilt enough to be able to handle the extra stress - it's made for towing stuff much bigger than what you're towing.

The only concern I have is the height of the prop off the ground. Tilt the motor up when you're on the road to get more clearance. If you will be traveling more than a few short miles to the ramp, $30 spent on a transom saver might save you hundreds in repairs.

In the lower photo on flat ground, your trailer is pretty level.
The position of the boat on the trailer makes it look like it is too high.
With a boat that light I say you are fine as it is.

Well I must be paddling upstream - I intentionally have the receiver turned up & tongue riding high. Then it launches that much easier on the shallow ramp I have to use.

I sure wouldn't change out my tires to correct the angle. I have my trailer set up where the tongue sets almost level, it's a little high but not much. I like to be able to step in and out of my trailer from ground level without using the trailer itself. It really helps a lot when using a shallow ramp or a steep ramp when the water is down.

Latest posts