Converting Tracker 1754 from SC to CC

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotus623

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I picked up a nice 1754 tracker in great shape. Bottom looks brand new.

Anyways I striper and catfish so I want to convert this thing from SC to CC. I am already in the process. The consoles are tall in these so I was able to use the console and fabricate it into a CC. Anyways, I have a pretty large bait tank (40 gallons) and when completely full she weighs in about 350 lbs. I can run less water in it if I want to lighten the load. So the conundrum that I am faced with is where to locate the console. Here are some pics of before and where I am at now. I am concerned that if the tank is in front of the console I will plow water (not a nice feeling on a flat bottom.) And if I put the tank behind the console that I will have a hard time planing. I originally bought this tank for a larger boat. Even if I step down, tank placement will be a concern.

I like the console up farther to give more room in the rear of the boat. But if I keep it back I can put the tank up front or behind me. I just dont like how tight it feels with the console back that far. Where do you guys think I should put it? These two places are optimal for tying the console down to the ribs.

tracker middle sideview.JPG

tracker forward sideview.JPG

Tracker middle rearview.JPG

tracker forward rearview.JPG

tracker middle tank front.JPG

Attachments

• tracker middle tank front.JPG
    tracker middle tank front.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,581
Love the project.

I have a 2012 1754SC that I converted to CC last year. I would not put that heavy tank behind you. I have a 20 gallon bait tank behind me that I rarely use because it makes the boat feel heavy and sluggish. My hull has the 11 gallon fuel tank in the back along with a group 27 battery.
I have a large ice chest in front of the console and small one up on the front deck. I can pack the small one with water and 10-20 lbs of ice and I put 40 lbs of ice plus fish in the larger one. Both of those at full capacity have little noticeable effect on driving performance.

You can see the water line on the side of the boat. I have since added a jack plate that moved the motor back 5-1/2" so the stern sits roughly 1" lower at rest now.

I'll include a side picture below for reference. The picture without paint on the console was dry fitting for location.

Rob

Attachments

• 20160611_151058.jpg
    20160611_151058.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,555
  • best.jpg
    best.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 2,555
  • 20161113_175402.jpg
    20161113_175402.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,555
  • 20160607_204301.jpg
    20160607_204301.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,555
I would give it a try in front of the console like you have in some of your pictures.

The guy that normally fishes with me weights 275lb+ and sets on that cooler up front. The boat handles great like that. I have even had one of my 100lb sons on that large cooler and my 120lb wife setting on that little cooler up front. The boat comes up on plane in 1-2 boat lengths.

The boat has another group 27 battery in the front compartment, a smaller lawn tractor battery and 3 bank charger under the console, a trolling motor on the front deck, and two 15lb anchors on board all the time.

The motor on there is a 60hp 4stroke Merc with a 12 pitch 3 blade stainless prop. I run right at 6200rpm with my wife, two boys, and all the fishing gear and ice required for a full day trip on board.
Originally I had the stock 14 pitch prop and the boat took a dozen or so boat lengths to get on plane, but ran a faster top end even though it maxed out at 5200 rpm. With that 12 I can hammer down on it anywhere and it jumps right up on plane.

Rob

Ebug,
Looks like you used an elevated platform to run your cables and wires from the console back to the motor. Did you make that or buy it?

Also, what did you use to secure the console down to the floor?

Yes, I have a 2" raised floor between the console and rear deck.
The original plan was to run all of the rigging under the oem floor, but that fell through once I dicovered there was not enough room to snake it all through. The oem floor was installed in such a way as to require cutting it out at each end because it extended under welded in components.

I created the raised floor using 2" square aluminum tubing screwed to the floor with 1/8 aluminum diamond plate on top.

The console itself is attached to the floor currently via large self tapping screws. This winter I will be pulling those out and replacing them with riv-nuts since the screws loosen due to vibration.

I also raised the fuel tank the same 2"s. This allows a pretty much straight shot for all the rigging to pass back to the engine well area.

Rob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. I got the console mounted and motor all rigged up. I did the whole inside of the boat with herculiner. I also put a remote steer 24v trolling motor on the bow and 1/2" rod holders all around. I will have to post some pics when I am all finished up!!

Well guys,
Another project has come and gone. Life comes at ya fast and I got tired of the upkeep/cleaning/costs with a larger fiberglass boat. I loved it for certain things, and hated it for others. I wound up selling my big girl so I could fund some projects I had around the house, and kept a few grand for this project. I have about 80hrs. into it and 3 grand. All in all it turned out to be a great, reliable rig. All welded 1754 tracker grizzly. No wood in the boat at all. The lil 50hp 2 cylinder on the back pushed me and one other, with full gear and bait tank to 30mph. And to top it off, my first fish on the boat was well over 60lbs. Anyways, I just thought I would share the progress from bass boat SC to catfish/striper CC.

P.S. carpet is for bedrooms, not boats!!

Latest posts