12' valco build- "Good Enough"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deadkitty said:
Hey Scouter! Sorry took me a bit to get back, been outta town. So this was my make shift cheapest easiest way I could bang out a decent functioning mount since my valco flares out so much at the to, the angles are kinda rough. I've used it off and on over the last couple years. The biggest thing I don't like is that since it's all metal connected to the hull, when I go 40+ feet deep I tend to get an evil whine echoing throughout the boat. Still catches fish though :) overall not too bad. I think when I spring for a second rigger, I may fashion boxes out of wood which should mute the whine, and snag me some Kokanee on both sides of the boat down deep. Also my balls are 6lbs ;)
26666dca22eee9d7573c4e69bba650c4.jpg
62bfae2de5bd5588d501d5eceea3dc88.jpg
1330d00f9d04558f1aa696bca9535626.jpg
7d2272ebf3b3ca59ae00f5490d8d45a8.jpg
2e73dca9e7bef3fada2e6ff104e82cd0.jpg

Much appreciate the info and pics! 6lb balls.... hmmmm LOL I haven't used a downrigger in the area I'm in, bigger boats use big balls, but with only a 12' and not going too far out into the salt, I'll have to experiment. 20-60 feet would be probably the area I'd be in, I'd think nothing more that 80ish. When the tides run against me though, there can be a pretty significant current lifting lines.... the noise issue is interesting, something I hadn't thought of before (have you tried braid? may solve the issue without more construction I'm thinking - I've heard it reduces/stops line singing which is what I'm guessing is transferring to your mount/hull).

ScouterJames said:
deadkitty said:
Hey Scouter! Sorry took me a bit to get back, been outta town. So this was my make shift cheapest easiest way I could bang out a decent functioning mount since my valco flares out so much at the to, the angles are kinda rough. I've used it off and on over the last couple years. The biggest thing I don't like is that since it's all metal connected to the hull, when I go 40+ feet deep I tend to get an evil whine echoing throughout the boat. Still catches fish though :) overall not too bad. I think when I spring for a second rigger, I may fashion boxes out of wood which should mute the whine, and snag me some Kokanee on both sides of the boat down deep. Also my balls are 6lbs ;)
26666dca22eee9d7573c4e69bba650c4.jpg
62bfae2de5bd5588d501d5eceea3dc88.jpg
1330d00f9d04558f1aa696bca9535626.jpg
7d2272ebf3b3ca59ae00f5490d8d45a8.jpg
2e73dca9e7bef3fada2e6ff104e82cd0.jpg

Much appreciate the info and pics! 6lb balls.... hmmmm LOL I haven't used a downrigger in the area I'm in, bigger boats use big balls, but with only a 12' and not going too far out into the salt, I'll have to experiment. 20-60 feet would be probably the area I'd be in, I'd think nothing more that 80ish. When the tides run against me though, there can be a pretty significant current lifting lines.... the noise issue is interesting, something I hadn't thought of before (have you tried braid? may solve the issue without more construction I'm thinking - I've heard it reduces/stops line singing which is what I'm guessing is transferring to your mount/hull).

If I'm going over 16' deep I move from a 6 to an 8 lb ball. Going deep with a 6 lb results in a significant amount of blow back. While these smaller down riggers might not be able to handle 15 pound balls, just adding a couple of pounds makes a big difference.

Question though, I always wondered, how big a deal is it with blowback if I'm using my fish finder to verify depth. Technically even if my rigger counter is showing 25 ft, but I can see the ball sitting at 20ft where I want it, doesn't that basically make it a moot point? Or are there other negative effects going on ? Is it affecting the load up on the rod, or maybe the sensitivity, the presentation action?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a look at the pros & cons of SS cable vs braid. Braid doesn’t require terminal tackle – just tie a knot. Braid doesn’t get kinks, has less blowback, and no irritating hum (who knows, maybe fish like the hum – we have vibrating lures for a reason yes?). On the downside, braid is subject to break without warning if nicked (goodby expensive weight & terminal tackle). Also, it cannot discharge all of those positive ions, if that is important to you. Braid costs a lot more. Based on everything I’ve seen and heard, I think a big reason to keep SS cable is you at least have some warning because you will see or feel a fray or kink and have time to make a repair before it breaks. In the past year, I’ve probably shortened mine by 10’ to 15’.

Bottom line -- some swear by the braid and some stick with SS cable. I’m staying with the cable. My reasoning, which is the same I use for sticking with mono, isn’t really all that sound. I am used to it and I don’t want to change. (This is where my daughter tells me I’m acting like an “old dude”. :shock: )

Blow back cannot be avoided. If you put the line down and move the boat forward, there is going to be some blowback. From any practical standpoint, it is impossible to troll a downrigger line vertical. With a 20 deg blowback, you only lose about 6’ out of 100’ of depth. So at 40’ or 50’ of cable we are only talking about a few feet. I agree that using your FF to locate your depth kind of eliminates this as a real issue. Also, I want my lures above the targeted depth because fish look and feed up, not down, right. So losing a few feet doesn’t bother me. However, remember that the more blowback there is the farther behind the boat the DR ball will be. So, if your blowback angle is 45 deg's, then to get a 40' depth your DR weight would be 40' behind the boat. I don't know what real harm this might cause, I just know I wouldn't like it.

LDUBS said:
Take a look at the pros & cons of SS cable vs braid. Braid doesn’t require terminal tackle – just tie a knot. Braid doesn’t get kinks, has less blowback, and no irritating hum (who knows, maybe fish like the hum – we have vibrating lures for a reason yes?). On the downside, braid is subject to break without warning if nicked (goodby expensive weight & terminal tackle). Also, it cannot discharge all of those positive ions, if that is important to you. Braid costs a lot more. Based on everything I’ve seen and heard, I think a big reason to keep SS cable is you at least have some warning because you will see or feel a fray or kink and have time to make a repair before it breaks. In the past year, I’ve probably shortened mine by 10’ to 15’.

One other point that was mentioned by a friend for Braid vs. SS - on smaller boats (mine is a 12'), IF you get your ball hung up, there is a very real possibility of swamping (especially when side mounted).... THAT being said, keeping cutters for SS at hand is a safety issue for sure - IMHO, easier to cut braid with a knife in the event of an "OH SH**" moment!

Good point on swamping and a good reason to maybe not use real long booms on small light boats. That is a lot of leverage on the gunnel if you get hung up. Always a good idea to make sure the drag is working correctly and set to just a few pounds more than the weight.

LDUBS said:
Good point on swamping and a good reason to maybe not use real long booms on small light boats. That is a lot of leverage on the gunnel if you get hung up. Always a good idea to make sure the drag is working correctly and set to just a few pounds more than the weight.

I was thinking of mounting mine on a riser off the seat - a little less leverage in case (or when) that happens!

Another update: so the "tinker with your boat" bug has bit me this year. Hard. Fever is still going strong.
- added rod holders
- found a sweet deal on clist for a 80lb thrust gen 1 terrova ( holy freakin ipilot ! )
- picked up a half price brand new helix 5 si on ebay to replace my 398ci si
- added wire to my electrical system to add a 24v loop to my system , leaving the 12v loops in place on the deep cells for easy charging.
- removed and totally re-doing my front casting deck to ensure the terrova doesn't go for a swim
-finally got a new to me , actually running, 1997 9.9 mercury outboard
- oh and received today, yet to be installed, downrigger mounts from ldubs

Tested it all out today! Came home ready to load up the smoker.

It's been a busy week.

1ece80c34044aedff64bf0ed1f5797d4.jpg

f6055432f8708865688a14735a46cd28.jpg

e9cdecb5fd96279bafd524be48d912dc.jpg

6dcd9689df63ef6968395d46dd0c6c65.jpg

e199eddb5a8e4cf1fcaf42241fefa6c4.jpg

65ab78bfa882ff411e8eeef07d73b3ab.jpg

Welp as soon as I finished, the wife and kids really started to love coming with me out on the water.... which, for a 12' boat is a bit too much weight, especially when you factor in the 2 extra batteries, bow mount trolling motor, etc... and so begins the '72 16' mirrocraft project. New thread coming soon. Thanks to everyone in this forum that helped make my valco a superior fishing machine.

Also if you know anyone in Oregon/Washington who might be interested in buying it, I'll give 'em a tinboats discount price.

82a897c48a782265eb489d9342d9b168.jpg

Latest posts