1973 16' Crestliner V-hull Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4d5693724c97d2864498ad29d24b809d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed your project. Good job!
I have a old Crestliner as well, 1977 Voyager Deluxe.
Its been a great boat and doesn't leak a drop.
Good luck.
jasper

Got some work done this week with carpeting and electrical. Still need to play with the hatches a bit as they aren't sitting quite flush.

I finished up all of the electrical as well.
5bb0c9ce545d997b4f042fdb5882b05f.jpg
7f07bcccff77235d8cd92b24068cb6f7.jpg
81628532b49f934f4a804b272472683a.jpg
387d45f187345f1d67c2d2f6ee323723.jpg

This project is starting to get close! Heading to BP to get some seats today!
671cd10a446ec1a33fd5af94825eac71.jpg

I'm starting to have hopes for fall Muskie fishing in this rig.

I got the side storage cut and carpeted, and mounted the seats.

I went with Tempress Navistyle low back seats and am really happy with them. I had to pay up ($100 each) but really think I'll like them. They are comfortable, sturdy, and give the boat a higher end look and feel.

8b350fd5e17c17499b23333b0b0bd290.jpg
2735a0729285dc9e26a2c7a5f47cf182.jpg

DiveLiberty said:

I went with Tempress Navistyle low back seats and am really happy with them. I had to pay up ($100 each)

Nice build. The seats look nice with the carpet. I am really happy with my Tempress seats.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

schukster said:
DiveLiberty said:

I went with Tempress Navistyle low back seats and am really happy with them. I had to pay up ($100 each)

Nice build. The seats look nice with the carpet. I am really happy with my Tempress seats.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks for your recommendation on the seats. I went with the low back just because of the profile of the boat, and I'm pretty happy with them. I figured if there's anything worth paying up for, it's the seats.

Added some LED light strips tonight. Not sure if I'll ever use them as I rarely fish at night, but it was an easy/fun addition.

87097836c8283c75fa011ebfbf35c33c.jpg

Got the Garmin mounted on a swivel arm ram mount today. That way I can still use it when on the on the casting deck.

d89e1f84bef7e8669997b78a410527f5.jpg

I still have a few things to do on this build before I enter the "eternal tinkering" phase that I know is inevitable. BUT, she saw water for the first time (since I got her) today!

My takeaways:
-I got about 15MPH from the 1972 Merc with my wife and I and minimal gear. It planed up fine, but didn't accelerate too much past planing. This is about what I got with my previous 14' V-hull Lowe with a 9.9, so I'm happy with it. I'll casually keep an eye on the used market for a 25+, but am happy with the Merc for now. The key electric start is awesome, I love that feature.
-I was pleased with the stability. That was a question that lingered in my mind throughout the whole build. It requires an awareness, but is plenty stable to move about the boat without worrying about swamping or going over the side.
-I need a tiller arm extension to make steering more comfortable since my seat is higher than the factory bench was.
-Garmin EchoChirp 73cv worked AWESOME. Looking forward to improving my fishing through use of this unit.
-I need to add cleats ASAP for use at the ramp.
-I'm going to add some BoatBuckle retractable transom tie downs to the trailer for quick and easy trailering
-Touch up paint is needed, everything is different out in the sun as compared to the garage

I was really happy with the layout! Will make for very comfortable fishing when by myself or with one other person. Lot's of storage will make for trips to the lake pretty easy.

Will post a few pics of our outing when I get to it.

DiveLiberty said:
I still have a few things to do on this build before I enter the "eternal tinkering" phase that I know is inevitable. BUT, she saw water for the first time (since I got her) today!

My takeaways:
-I got about 15MPH from the 1972 Merc with my wife and I and minimal gear. It planed up fine, but didn't accelerate too much past planing. This is about what I got with my previous 14' V-hull Lowe with a 9.9, so I'm happy with it. I'll casually keep an eye on the used market for a 25+, but am happy with the Merc for now. The key electric start is awesome, I love that feature.
-I was pleased with the stability. That was a question that lingered in my mind throughout the whole build. It requires an awareness, but is plenty stable to move about the boat without worrying about swamping or going over the side.
-I need a tiller arm extension to make steering more comfortable since my seat is higher than the factory bench was.
-Garmin EchoChirp 73cv worked AWESOME. Looking forward to improving my fishing through use of this unit.
-I need to add cleats ASAP for use at the ramp.
-I'm going to add some BoatBuckle retractable transom tie downs to the trailer for quick and easy trailering
-Touch up paint is needed, everything is different out in the sun as compared to the garage

I was really happy with the layout! Will make for very comfortable fishing when by myself or with one other person. Lot's of storage will make for trips to the lake pretty easy.

Will post a few pics of our outing when I get to it.

Nice looking boat! Have fun!

@benjineer thanks, it's not done, but done enough until I can't fish anymore.

The boat is rated for a 40hp. I'd love to get a 40hp on it but will stick with the 20hp for now simply due to the crazy high costs of used outboards. If I could buy stock in used outboards I would. I'm always on the lookout, so will pick up a newer/bigger motor when I come across a deal that I can't pass up.

I need to post updated pics and maybe a video of my build.

I hear you. I traded my 25 tiller for the 48 remote. My boat is rated for a 40 also. The 25 just took to long when I wanted to make a long run. I got over the tiller also for those same runs.

Still meaning to do a "walk around" video of the boat at some point, but been too busy using it for now! Taken it out 4 times now, and really really pleased with the way it fishes. I love the open floor space and front casting deck.

Quick question for anyone who sees this. I had some motor issues today on the old Merc that I'm pretty sure is a spun prop. It would idle fine in gear and push us along at idle speed, but would rev high with little movement when given throttle. I took off the prop and I'm pretty sure that I can see some "spin out" on the back end of the hub. More than anything, it just appears to be freshly "disturbed" rubber. Do these symptoms seem consistent with a spun hub? I wouldn't at all be surprised if this was the original prop that came with the motor (40+ years old).

My question is really about prop fit. The web provides a multitude of prop fit guides and calculators, but most of them don't go back as far as early 1970's. I found one that did list my motor (Mercury Model 200 20 HP), and it listed 2 props, both from Michigan Match. One looks identical to the original, 2 blade. The other is a 3 blade that looks like it will also match up. What will be, if any, the performance difference between a 2 blade vs 3 blade on a motor like this? It seems like I see nothing but 3+ blades on modern motors, even the low hp motors, but the original is a 2 blade.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 3,760
Have been thinking a lot about how to fab up some sort of shifter extension for the outboard. Not a fan of having to reach back to the side of the motor to shift, especially when pulling up to the dock or the trailer.

I'm shocked that there is nothing commercially available. I grabbed a tiller extension for steering/throttle. I'm surprised that there is nothing (at least that I've found) to extend the shifter. That would make a guy rich eh?

Turns out, it's been thought of before, https://www.google.com/patents/US3073278 . Now I just need to track down Spencer Brewster and get this thing to market.

Will post a pic of whatever I come up with after roaming the aisles of Menards looking for inspiration.

During the above-described manipulation of the steering-throttle control handle, and the gear shift lever, the boat is usually underway, with the operator facing the stern

:shock:

Im not getting in a boat with him.

My Evenrude has a T handle with a linkage that comes out of the front of the lower cowl for the shiftier.

Making up something similar with a mount on the lower cowl and an external linkage that goes to the original shift lever shouldn't be too hard.

Latest posts