Delete

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a 2.5 minute vid that shows some of what is hidden by the lake in the Superstition Mountains. Running Canyon lake to get to this would make for one fine adventure!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKFpQwOvTQ

Jhelms said:
SeaFaring said:
Beautiful boat! I can sympathize with getting elbow deep into a trailer rebuild and then wishing you had just bought a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the end, it is a solid trailer and WAY overbuilt. But man oh man... Stripping the paint off to bare metal was the worst part. Still not perfect but turned out nice as it gets for an old trailer. However, I would not recommend a trailer restoration of this size to anyone. It just is not worth it.

Will post pics later of the refurb process. I also went through the motor top to bottom which I have a lot of photos of. Just to be on the safe side. Everything is as if it was brand new.

Yeah, I spent 5 times as long stripping the thing as any other part and only stopped because I ran out of time. It was by no means perfect. It was awful. Where ever there was an inside corner, it was a struggle. I’m curious how my new paint will hold up over time.

Stumpalump said:
Give me dibs on your boat if you want to go bigger. I need it. Ever heard of the Perletta stone and the crosses they found? How about that guy that robbed all of the stage coaches on the Apache trail. All his loot and the Dutchmans is in that area. Google earth and all the nav maps omit the areas that go way back by water and canyon. The gov wiped it off the map. I may head there tomorrow. I'm looking for a small boat and always somebody with balls to go into the unexplored un searched canyon areas that are in too deep for the treasure hunters. Canyon lake is good because you need a boat and few know where the crack in the Rock is to get in there. Nat Geo showed it but never mentioned where they were. They were interested in the cave that has a cross carved in it. I think that was fugazzi but that's the area I'm after.

Right on man - will let you know for sure. Wife wants a bigger boat for family fun but likely will be an addition and not a replacement. No plans to get rid of this gregor - love it. That and it would not come cheap by any means. I am scared to even calculate the raw cost into it all but basically it is a new boat with battle scars from age.

I am not that big of a treasure hunter but sure does sound fun!

SeaFaring said:
Jhelms said:
SeaFaring said:
Beautiful boat! I can sympathize with getting elbow deep into a trailer rebuild and then wishing you had just bought a new one.

In the end, it is a solid trailer and WAY overbuilt. But man oh man... Stripping the paint off to bare metal was the worst part. Still not perfect but turned out nice as it gets for an old trailer. However, I would not recommend a trailer restoration of this size to anyone. It just is not worth it.

Will post pics later of the refurb process. I also went through the motor top to bottom which I have a lot of photos of. Just to be on the safe side. Everything is as if it was brand new.

Yeah, I spent 5 times as long stripping the thing as any other part and only stopped because I ran out of time. It was by no means perfect. It was awful. Where ever there was an inside corner, it was a struggle. I’m curious how my new paint will hold up over time.

Just coat it thick and keep several cans around in case of damage - then reapply!

Jhelms said:
SeaFaring said:
Jhelms said:

Just coat it thick and keep several cans around in case of damage - then reapply!

Since I plan to use the boat in saltwater and it was a painted trailer, I stripped it the best I could (in the time available) and tried this ZRC Cold Galvanizing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012OPRE7U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8ygZzbH5SDMC8

That’s why I’m curious!

Latest posts