14** alumicraft 14' jon boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisdot

Reaction score
Morning fellas.

i recently picked up a 14' alumicraft jon boat for a steal from craigslist. not sure what the model number is.
i've been reading this site for about a month, and a few others. you guys have a ton of great ideas and i'm looking forward to borrowing from your expertise.

one question that i haven't seen answered is regarding putting carpet directly on to the aluminum. Every post that discusses is using photobucket and i'm unable to view the pics. all the ones that have viewable pics don't go into detail. or maybe i'm slow. :)

the pics i've seen like the one below i've attached from user dixie_boysles shows what i'm looking to accomplish. but by looking at the pic, that doesn't look as if the carpet is glued directly to the aluminum. to me and my untrained eye, it looks like it maybe attached to a board and then to the side of the boat. there looks like a boarder around the top that is thicker than the typical width of carpet.

plans that i've decided on are a casting deck w/ a few compartments for storage and a removable plywood and carpeted floor. i don't plan to attach the floor. just cut out some plywood and lay directly on the bottom and apply carpet.

i'll be using this boat in salt water. i doubt i'll ever see fresh water in southeast texas.

thanks and i welcome all feedback.

Attachments

• 1078.jpg
    1078.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,881
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,881
  • carpet.PNG
    carpet.PNG
    354.1 KB · Views: 1,881
I bet if you look at the ALUMACRAFT decal on the side of your boat you won't find the letter 'i'! :)

Grammar is almost a lost art. I bet even the teachers mess up now and then when typing. :LOL2:
Seriously, the trailer looks a little to big for the boat. Maybe fix and flip the trailer. Most larger boat trailers command a pretty decent penny.
By the way, welcome.

IMHO, the trailer is fine. I like one that is a bit longer so I don't have to dip my tires in the water to launch a short boat.

Alumacraft/Alumicraft ....with spell checkers you never know what is going to come out. I knew what the OP meant.

Where are you in SE TX? I spend 6 months of every year in North Houston. Heading that way in 3 weeks.

Since you "stole" the boat, before you put any serious money into it, be very sure that you have re-titled it; boat; trailer and motor. Texas is getting very fussy about ownership these days.

I added a storage area on the side of my 1652 G3. I used 1/4 inch exterior plywood and covered it with vinyl, which I prefer over carpet. Defender Industries supplied it. It is about the thickness of heavy vinyl wallpaper. Seems to be holding up well, so far.

Be careful about adding too much weight with decks etc. on a small boat. I added a stern deck once and the boat wouldn't plane with it on there.

regards, richg99

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276198|2276202&id=23740

Watch some of Richard Gene the fishing machine's videos on YouTube. He has a Tracker jon with a front deck and carpet glued right to the aluminum, similar to what you want.

The only issue with gluing the carpet directly to the boat comes when you need to remove the carpet. The glue can be a real pain in the rear end to remove from the aluminum.

Latest posts