A lot of people are putting batteries in sealed boxes.......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
Gas tanks too, and Im not sure if people understand or simply underestimate the explosion risk.

We had a guy take a cushman buggy off of charge at work who didnt understand how hydrogen can build up in a compartment when a battery is being charged or used, who blew up both batteries and sent the seat flying while trying to weld a part to the outer frame.

This was on a vehicle where the enclosure was not even sealed, had lots of venting and a avenue for the explosion to vent fairly safely.

From across the shop it sounded like a bomb went off and I looked over to see my two co workers in shock, a bunch of smoke and the 5lb seat landing on the floor 10' away.

The guy helping the guy weld got hit by the seat but wasn't hurt, the guy welding got some flash burns removing arm hair and hurting his ears and pride.

This blew the tops clean off of the batteries which spilled/splashed acid and this was not a sealed enclosure.

Some of the boxes Ive seen in the build threads are literally bombs in the making.

Just some food for thought.

In a storage compartment under a hatch door? This is normal for most builds, and even factory boats come that way.
:-k

The manufacturers who do this will only install and AGM type battery.

Looking through the build threads there are people who are using various types of liquid lead acid types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQSsrgUxqIw

Factory boat's rear compartments are vented and that's typically where the batteries and fuel are.

I'm buying a new battery tomorrow, and plan on putting it in one of these, and strapping it to the floor of my boat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5SGBO

I will store and charge it in my utility room, avoiding the direct sunlight of my back yard.

Any problems using a battery box like these?

.Mike said:
I'm buying a new battery tomorrow, and plan on putting it in one of these, and strapping it to the floor of my boat: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W5SGBO

I will store and charge it in my utility room, avoiding the direct sunlight of my back yard.

Nope.....I have two of my batteries in those. an AGM would be best.

Picked up the jet jon today and put he batteries and fuel tanks in different compartments. Added two vents over the twin tanks. Will post pictures in another thread.

I had a very good friend burned to death two months ago fueling a golf cart in the shop. Two golfers were feet away. Takes just one spark.

.Mike said:

Those are perfect as they are designed to contain and vent the explosion if one should occur, thats what the 4-6 big vents are for.

People tend to think the vents are for cables and the strap is to keep the lid from coming lose. The vents vent gasses and the strap contains the blast.

The golf cart and battery issues reminded me of a cheap co worker that thought nothing of using automotive switches and connectors until his bilge fan wouldn't come on and he went and jiggled the wires.

The explosion sent him overboard and trapped his wife in the cabin where she was able to wiggle out of a window to the water and swim away.

They were in barnegate bay when this happened and got picked up almost immediately and watched the boat burn to the water.

My biggest fear would be an overcharged battery while underway due to an older motors bad charging circuit or homebrew wiring with the gasses building up under the decking.

You may get away with this dozens of times but you only need to get hurt once.

I have one of those "smart" battery boxes with the tester button on top and cigarette lighter plug on the end. The top does strap down, but it certainly doesn't "seal" the box. I feel confident that it's sufficiently vented. Never heard these boxes criticized for being potentially dangerous.

I didn't think there would be a problem with the battery boxes in boats, but what do I know... heh!

You never know if something is good for cars, RVs, and solar setups, but not boats. :)

.Mike said:
I didn't think there would be a problem with the battery boxes in boats, but what do I know... heh!

You never know if something is good for cars, RVs, and solar setups, but not boats. :)

Problem is in a boat the box ends up in compartments that are almost water-tight, which do not breath. People who have on-board chargers never remove the batteries from the boat to charge them, and can have hydrogen gas build up during the charging cycle.

Batteries in cars/rv's and solar power setups are not in sealed areas, hence the difference and the risk.

NOW...I will vent the dry box with trolling batteries. Thanks for the heads up. We vented the deck storage with fuel tanks.

Latest posts