1995 Grumman 1648 Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have had much time to work on it this past week but I Had the chance to look at the motor and run it today. Again forward works perfectly fine no problems there. When I put the motor in reverse the prop spins in reverse but not fast and it does not pick up speed when increasing the throttle. Also I notice today a vibration when applying a little more force in the shifter handle. Not sure what this means. Any help would be great

Finally had some time to work on it. Solved the motor problem by removing the lower unit and adjusting the shift rod by one turn. Now reverse works.

Finished up the front two side panels. and protected the edges in the anchor compartment with some aluminum angle.

Only a couple things left to do.

Paint the engine cover so its not half brown and half white.
Trim one of the front hatches so it fits better.
Install one more courtesy light.
Fix my fish finder. I went with a garmin echo and for some reason it will not provide me a depth or an image of what the bottom looks like in the water. I tried changing the settings even changing the frequency because this is a two frequency fish finder. I am not sure what is wrong with it because when I turned it on out of water and ran my steel toed boot under it about 3 feet away the boot showed up on the screen but nothing works right in the water.

I contacted garmin today and they are replacing it free of charge. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

Attachments

• 5-1-14.JPG
    5-1-14.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,880
  • 5-1-14-1.JPG
    5-1-14-1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,880
Been busy working on it. Got a bow mounted Minn Kota Trolling motor 40lb of thrust for the front and it works great. It moves the boat around better than I thought it would. Ordered the bow seat and pedestal. Put guide posts on the back and brake lights on them. Replacing the old lights on the trailer with new low profile ones. Looking at putting a radio in the boat to listen to music too.

Hopefully will have pictures to put up soon.

Got the Lights all wired up yesterday and **** they are bright. Also picked up a deep cycle battery for the trolling motor. Plus i upgraded the tires from 4.8x12 to 5.3x12 and got a new trailer jack since the other one broke.

Next thing I want to do is install a stereo and a ladder to get in and out of the back of the boat. Plus still waiting on the pedestal to arrive for the front seat.

Attachments

• 5-21-14-3.jpg
    5-21-14-3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,824
  • 5-21-14-2.jpg
    5-21-14-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,824
  • 5-21-14-6.jpg
    5-21-14-6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,824
  • 5-21-14-5.jpg
    5-21-14-5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,824
  • 5-21-14-4.jpg
    5-21-14-4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,824
Just about done. I mounted the seat and pedestal on the front of the boat. Got to trolling motor all wired up and ready to use. Waiting on the stereo to come in tomorrow so I can install that. Then put two battery cables on the second battery and Im all done.... Well atleast for now until I wanna add something else to it. Like a bimini.

Attachments

• 5-26-14-2.jpg
    5-26-14-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,792
  • 5-26-14-4.jpg
    5-26-14-4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,792
Installed the stereo, The bimini, and still doing some fine tuning. Had to modify the fenders because the tires were slightly rubbing when I would hit a big bump.

Attachments

• 6-20-14.JPG
    6-20-14.JPG
    962.1 KB · Views: 3,354
  • 6-20-14-1.JPG
    6-20-14-1.JPG
    926.5 KB · Views: 3,354
New Idea,

This summer Im going camping where the only way to and from the site and around the area is by boat, (Rain or Shine)

Has anyone tried to put an enclosure on a jon boat? cant use a tarp I need to be able to see while Im driving.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1-2-15.JPG
    1-2-15.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,252
You might get some ideas here.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27544&hilit=enclosure

dlmallory said:
Considering painting the boat. Any suggestions?
Yeah, don't...:)

Right now you don't have to worry about unsightly blemishes where you mar the paint, the aluminum is safe as is, paint isn't needed to protect it - so why invite a headache.

Super nice build man. All of you guys have inspired me to attempt one as well. Thank you for posting.

That time again. Looking at ideas on how I want to change up my boat. Well since I installed the floor 4 years ago, the boat has definitely been used a lot and finally after just getting back from camping a soft spot was found in the floor. I had previously sealed the 1/2in plywood with Thompson water seal and it lasted 4 years after. Cant ask for much better especially the beating its taken. I never did wrap it in plastic like I had previously considered but I think I may try that this time or I am considering using valspar urethane to coat the wood.

Since pulling the floor out this will give me a opportunity to add some new compartments since I can never find enough space. re-route some wires and replace some foam insulation. I am looking for a recommendation on foam to be used. I have heard of people just using the foam board insulation from homedepot. Any suggestions?

Also considering converting from a tiller handle to remote controls and steering wheel. Any suggestions or recommendations? The engine is an evinrude 1985 40 Hp.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 2,715
  • IMG_5719.JPG
    IMG_5719.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 2,715
  • IMG_5727.JPG
    IMG_5727.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,715
Was able to pull the floor out. Forgot how many screws I had used to hold it in place haha. Definitely signs of a soft spot but overall looked very good. Rerouted some wires and installed a PVC runway across the center of the boat. IMG_9005.HEIC.jpg

This time I added some foam under the floor not only for buoyancy but this should also hemp hold up the floor. IMG_9022.HEIC.jpg

Seal the 1/2" plywood with Spar Urethane and carpeted it.

Next step is to reinstall the side panels and the seats along with build a new floor for the batteries and fix the storage area where wires are located.IMG_9024.HEIC.jpg

Just a thought and I haven't seen it done yet but a removable live well that fits in a storage compartment?

Was finally able to get the seats back in along with getting the battery floor done. Reinstalled the batteries and made all the electrical look nice and neat. I started working on the extra compartment I wanted to add in the bow but the rain got me before I could remove the cut out and take a picture. Next step is to continue with boxing out the compartment and to better box out where the anchor compartment is located.

Attachments

• IMG_9064.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9064.HEIC.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,609
  • IMG_9065.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9065.HEIC.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,609
Was able to get some more done finally. Been too busy working and trying to finish my new aluminum fishing rod rack for my surf poles.

With the hole cut in the bow and Styrofoam removed. Next step is to box out the area. Im going to be storing life jackets in this compartment. Debating whether or not to carpet the inside of the compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_9160.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9160.HEIC.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMG_9161.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9161.HEIC.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,590
That's a good looking boat and I like the layout for the seats.

Thank you Drock.

I was able to get the new compartment boxout and decided to put carpet in it. Overall the wood was in very good condition. I cut the new hole for the compartment and put new carpet on the wood. Got the anchor compartment lid mounted and the new compartment lid mounted. Have to get new lids for the other two compartments as I cut the wood and used it for a battery floor. (haha oops thought the front deck would be in a shitty condition so originally just planned on getting an entire sheet of 3/4" ply.)

Next step is to mount the bow light and probably replace the bulb then hook up the speakers and reinstall the side panels to make a clean look.

I am going to be starting the removable live well next.

Attachments

• IMG_9178.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9178.HEIC.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,543
  • IMG_9175.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_9175.HEIC.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,543

Latest posts