Looking to modify 1986 mirrocraft northport deep fisherman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseysure

Reaction score
Boat - 1986 mirrocraft/northport deep fisherman model # F3614
Specs - Aluminum , 14' , 5'4" beam , 225 lbs .

Project goals - Re-paint outside and add decks , while keeping the boat safe and sound .
Budget - 300-400 usd.

Use - Freshwater lakes and reservoirs .

Why I am here - Any info that can be applied to this type of boat before I go chopping and hacking .
Personal experience with this style of deck stability on the water or working with this material .
Material suggestions for the framework ; wood , metals , sealant , hardware ect .
Paint/painting suggestions - I will be doing this cheap and using rollers and an outdoors carport .

I plan on removing that middle bench seat and adding a nice flat deck with supports like in the picture below .
59d5d668494f5450e46fef09fe171d99--bass-boat-aluminum-boat-restoration.jpg

Underneath I would like to add foam , supports , and a bilge pump . This would be a bare bones no thrills attempt at a cheaper bass boat .

This is what I am currently working with .
DSC_0220.JPG
DSC_0198.JPG
DSC_0222.JPG

I will be starting soon and will be keeping this updated with my progress as I go along .

Any info is and will be much appreciated . I would prefer information from those who have experiance rather than just an opinion ^^ .
Thanks . :mrgreen:

Attachments

• DSC_0201.JPG
    DSC_0201.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 3,727
  • 59d5d668494f5450e46fef09fe171d99--bass-boat-aluminum-boat-restoration.jpg
    59d5d668494f5450e46fef09fe171d99--bass-boat-aluminum-boat-restoration.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 3,727
  • DSC_0220.JPG
    DSC_0220.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,727
Hello
I would suggest sealing the boat with gluvet or something similar. Hate to go through all that hard work then have it leak.

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=37790

Here’s a restoration thread of an 83 Mirrocraft my brother did that I now own. I just replaced the transom and some other small things as well. If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow you guys did some good work there . It looks great and I like the name on the boat :mrgreen: .

Thanks for the reply def gives me a bit of a reality check on what I am in for . Thankfully my dad was the sole owner and I'm pretty sure no bondo ever touched the boat . Transom def needs replacing , curious what wood you chose and if you are going to seal or glass it .

My biggest recommendation is before painting sand all the oxidisation of the aluminum, that will give the etch primer a really good bond.
Theres no point using etching paint of any kind if there is a layer between it and what you want painted.
I've sandblasted before to very good effect, but unless you have a compressor and gun already then it will chew up half your budget.
But I've been using a power drill (mains power) and polishing attachments that look like an abrasive dish cloth.
Its gentle and only removes what you want, it doesn't go to town on you.
If you do a cardboard template from that front bench forward, build it up so its flush with the gunwale you can carpet it and have a nice casting platform, put in a hatch for the anchor and other gear and your set.
Just remember paint 1st, then put the decking in so theres no over spray and its an even coating all over.
Saves on the tape too.
If its an ally transom and doesn't need repair, cut a piece of marine ply, paint and bolt on where the existing holes are, just clamp it in place and use the holes from the inside as a template to make everything match up.
Thats about my 2c worth, hope it helps.

DSC_0206.JPG

Cheers from Jersey met a lot of really decent Aussies while traveling abroad , unlike those English wankers , you Aussies are alright .

Its a pretty safe bet since the boat has been sitting so long the transom would need replacing . This polishing pad you speak of any sort of name to it . The paint on the inside of the boat really isn't terrible and I was thinking to save on costs and time skipping painting this . This boats for me , honestly just like my truck its a tool , not a trophy . Any thoughts ? Really wish there wasn't a foot of snow outside so I could get to work .

Update 2/5/18

Sadly it's still pretty darn cold here in the northeast . That being said here is a quick update on the boat .

I stripped down the trailer . I had to replace the leaf springs , coupler , winch , tires , and had to be re-wired .

as for the boat Im just getting started .

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this sort of seat construction . As far as I can tell (w/o ripping it apart it)it is made up of some thin pieces of wood , aluminum , and some sort of pour in foam . I'd like to take the tops of these bench seats off and replace them with wood but Im not sure what if any (besides housing the foam) support these cubes provide .

Also if anyone has any experience with liquid foam first hand would be great . My concern is what the effects are when it comes in contact with water .

Some good weather today so I figured I'd take some pictures .

Transom is 2 3/4 inch marine grade ply glued and screwed . I have some Epoxy coming in soon that I will be hitting the boat and transom with .

DSC_0001.JPG

Letter's were kinda a B to get off till I used some Jasco . Just let it sit till it bubbles comes right up .

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

I plan on sanding this rust down and hitting it with some paint/primer before reinstalling transom

DSC_0011.JPG

Having a little trouble getting all the paint off .

Question is it 100% needed to paint the bottom ? It will have epoxy on it .

Attachments

• DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,138

Latest posts