1973 16' Crestliner V-hull Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resurrecting this thread a little bit to share my intentions for this year. Ideally I'd get all of this done in the winter, but the detached garage and cold winters make for slow winter progress.

Here's what I hope 2018 brings to the rig:

Over the winter I added a Tempress pedestal seat for better/safer use of the trolling motor.

I also added one of these "cockpit organizers" just for somewhere to put phone/keys/etc.: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/boatmates-cockpit-organizer#repChildCatid=12716

-Boat cover
-Trailer Paint
-New bunks on the trailer
-Retractable rod straps: https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-F14200-Gunwale-Retractable-Tie-Down/dp/B002IV8JZW/ref=pd_sbs_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002IV8JZW&pd_rd_r=MD8TTF5G36XR59QAATPC&pd_rd_w=yA0yc&pd_rd_wg=PRAZo&psc=1&refRID=MD8TTF5G36XR59QAATPC
-Stop wasting days tinkering with the boat and FISH.

Some Updates to this build:

The old Merc Model 200 (20 hp) bit the dust and I'm up for a repower. After scouring the internet in my area, I've decided to repower to a 1978 Johnson 35. The 35 will fit the boat much better and get me the power that I need. The biggest issue, is that the 35 uses controls, so now I need to fab a console. This will end up being an upgrade, but I've got some work to do to get the boat to where it needs to be. I would have designed the boat totally differently if I had known a console would be in the picture.

Any ideas/advice/learnings from adding a side console to a boat like this?

Additionally, I purchased a Garmin Striker 4 to add to the front of the boat. Got sick of turning around to look at the big chart while casting/trolling.

Will get pics up as I get these additional fabs going!

Agreed, that would be easier. I'm not necessarily against the idea of a console. I fish on some big lakes (Tablerock Lake, Lake of the Ozarks, Pomme De Terre) where a console would be more comfortable. I may try and space it out with some cardboard boxes just to get an idea of the space I'm giving up.

I appreciate you resurrecting this thread. great looking build. I intend to do the flat floor and side boxes yet on my 14' Lund v-hull. Why did you choose the narrow diameter seat mounts over the larger diameter ones (sorry I havent learned the proper names for each yet)?

If you are still on about the shifter extension, I recommend looking into the Merc. XD motors. They have the forward and reverse integrated into the tiller handle (just like a tiller TM). They are pretty cheap to buy, and I haven't found any parts that aren't available for mine yet. My first tiller had this feature, and I am starting to learn how lucky I am.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the XD motors around. You're right, the shifting in the tiller handle would be awesome, especially when coming in to a dock or the trailer. Count yourself lucky!

Theoretically, the 3/4 pin style seats should be very easy to move around or remove. When it's just me fishing, I'd be happy to just have the "drivers" seat and have the rest of the boat open. I say theoretically because mine have turned out to be pretty stiff to remove. I may try to put some grease or lube on them to see if it helps. Technically, the pin style isn't supposed to be used while under power, but my previous motor only pushed the boat about 18 MPH, so I felt pretty safe. This was my first build so it's just what I went with at the time. If I had known that I would be building a console, I definitely would have went with the wider, more permanent, seat posts.

Got to work on the remote conversion over the last few days. I built a tiller console out of plywood and am mostly complete.

Again, I would have done things much differently had I known this would be remote, but I think this will still work out fine.
231180dbe50ffec72ba5c8aa5b98051a.jpg
8a102f0594cca976db38da9f74f2f4f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I like your build. I have pretty much the same boat but 14' version https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44835
It's giving me some ideas of projects to tackle on my boat in the future.

Our transoms are identical. Just wondering where you decided to mount your transducer? Did the location work well? Would you do anything differently?

Also have you gotten a chance to test out the 35? How'd it go?

Haggro said:
Hello,

I like your build. I have pretty much the same boat but 14' version https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44835
It's giving me some ideas of projects to tackle on my boat in the future.

Our transoms are identical. Just wondering where you decided to mount your transducer? Did the location work well? Would you do anything differently?

Also have you gotten a chance to test out the 35? How'd it go?

Thanks! I mounted the transducer just to the right of the motor. I can post a picture later tonight if it helps. Haven't gotten the Johnson out on the water yet. It took longer than expected to install the steering and controls. I hope to get out on Friday if possible.

Yeah pictures would be great. If anything it will give me some reference. Plus I like looking at pictures.

I have an idea of where I would like to put it but my bunk sticks out in that location. I thought about moving the boat back but I think ill try to move the bunks foward a bit.

Thank you for the reply. Look foward to reading about the 35.

Haggro said:
Yeah pictures would be great. If anything it will give me some reference. Plus I like looking at pictures.

I have an idea of where I would like to put it but my bunk sticks out in that location. I thought about moving the boat back but I think ill try to move the bunks foward a bit.

Here are a few pics of the transducer mount. It has held up pretty well so far. (The carpet on the bunks is high on the list for updates. I inherited it that way.
7d413c252cf1725439e3944959b6529e.jpg
0bd26a2562ed5ab381f7cc41df6f8d9a.jpg

DiveLiberty said:
Haggro said:

Here are a few pics of the transducer mount. It has held up pretty well so far. (The carpet on the bunks is high on the list for updates. I inherited it that way.
7d413c252cf1725439e3944959b6529e.jpg
0bd26a2562ed5ab381f7cc41df6f8d9a.jpg

Looks good. You should look for a 50-75hp motor. You added so much wieght with the wood it no wonder it doesn't have and speed. Personaly id put a lot smaller side console or stick steer. Just big enough to hold the steering wheel and gauges. You can buy aluminium ones for like $150

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey Prowelder, thanks for your thoughts! I think we can agree to disagree on a few things. This boat is old (1972) and is only rated for 40 hp. I got 17mph with the old 20 hp, so expect to get 25-28 mph from the 35hp. That’s plenty of speed for me. I only fish reservoirs and generally avoid bad weather, so I just need to get from point A to B. 75hp on this boat would not only void my insurance, but could be dangerous.

The total weight of the wood is around 100 lbs. Yes, aluminum would have been lighter, but I just have the experience to work with it confidently. Maybe on the next build! Sure, 100 lbs is enough to effect the speed, but it’s no different than adding an extra person or some gear.

DiveLiberty said:
Hey Prowelder, thanks for your thoughts! I think we can agree to disagree on a few things. This boat is old (1972) and is only rated for 40 hp. I got 17mph with the old 20 hp, so expect to get 25-28 mph from the 35hp. That’s plenty of speed for me. I only fish reservoirs and generally avoid bad weather, so I just need to get from point A to B. 75hp on this boat would not only void my insurance, but could be dangerous.

The total weight of the wood is around 100 lbs. Yes, aluminum would have been lighter, but I just have the experience to work with it confidently. Maybe on the next build! Sure, 100 lbs is enough to effect the speed, but it’s no different than adding an extra person or some gear.

There is no way that wood was only 100lb

Don’t know what to tell you, that’s what it is. It’s a sheet and a half of 3/4” plywood which is about 50 lbs a sheet, two 2x4s at about 13 lbs a piece and about six 2x2’s.

Prowelder said:
DiveLiberty said:

One 2x4 8ft long is over 11 lbs. Plus the plywood. Id say youre shooting way low. The boat looks good but realistically your probably in the 300- 400lb of wood. Count your boards and do the math. Im interested to see. Ive wieghed some of my builds and I usually add about 90-120lb of aluminum in my boat builds.

Prowelder said:
Prowelder said:
DiveLiberty said:

One 2x4 8ft long is over 11 lbs. Plus the plywood. Id say youre shooting way low. The boat looks good but realistically your probably in the 300- 400lb of wood. Count your boards and do the math. Im interested to see. Ive wieghed some of my builds and I usually add about 90-120lb of aluminum in my boat builds.

979f36451b96ae16b068f88242168bf9.jpg

Latest posts