New Member with new project boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I didn't get as much done as I had hoped :(
Outside of transom is now free of all paint...
IMG_1969.JPG
The guy doing the welding asked that I clean it up... so I took it to bare metal.
IMG_1968.JPG
The inside still needs a lot of work... started working with grinder to clean it up but it was way too hot today!
Do I need to take it to bare metal? Previous owner from what I can tell... added a patch to the outside where the motor would be mounted. Everything is pretty solid inside and out.
Got the board ready to be drilled
IMG_1972.JPG
And it decided it was going to rain.... guess I need to clean the garage out so I can actually do some work in there.

Guess I'll get more done the next time I have some free time.

Order some aluminum angle and a piece of C-Channel to use as the Transom cap today.
Need to get started on some of this other work...

Finally got some work done on the framing.. got two ribs formed with the angle. Still got a lot of work ahead of me. Hard to find time with a 2 yr old in house and its just been blazing hot here over the last week.

It doesn't have to be done tomorrow. Take your time and enjoy it as well as live it self. My boats been torn apart since last fall. Just now getting ready to paint it [emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another kind of productive day before it got too hot... took a couple pictures.
IMG_1982.JPG
IMG_1983.JPG
I'm not to sure what to do with this seat... if I install the decking the way I plan to... it will be completely covered. And that would be a lot of wasted space.
Was thinking I might try to cut it out... I saw a couple other mods where it was done. It's not attached to the bottom of the boat... and I think I'd leave it attached on the sides and add framing to them. Maybe add a live well in that area.

been following your thread...I'm working on my first boat and it is very similar to yours. From what I know, that seat probably adds rigidity to the sides of the hull and I would think removing it means you have to compensate for that somehow...but again, what do I know, could be way off on that. If it's not filled with foam, I would think you could cut the top and make a storage hatch or even a live well like you said. You look like you're off to a better start than I am!

For now I'm going to leave the seat there... I'll figure that out in phase II
I've started on getting the deck cut to fit.
KTmNt1R.jpg

H6XqFaI.jpg

qM5JvSU.jpg

9WhzeFq.jpg

Right now just focusing on the front and center area... still not sure how I want to do the rear of the boat.
The boat came with a 6 Gallon gas tank and it really doesn't fit in the very back of the boat. Previous owner kept it in the floor of center open area. I don't like that idea.
Once everything is cut to fit I'll seal it all and get it ready for carpet.
I'd like to get started on some of the electrical stuff too... just need the time.
I'm searching for a good deal on some decent batteries... anyone have any ideas on that? I'd like to run 2 with 12v output.

Found a decent price on Duracell Marine batteries... anyone have any input on their quality?
I was leaning towards just going with a couple Walmart batteries...

Any thoughts...

I've got an idea for the rear of the boat....
hs7PdE9.png

Remove part of the rear seat and frame it out with angle and plywood... I need room for the gas tank. Fill in any open areas with foam.
I'm going to add aluminum frame and plywood decking to the rear of the boat... I need to get the gas tank out of the way... previous own kept it in the floor between the rear and center seats... the Transom support is in the way as it is now.
And I'm thinking about removing the center seat... there is aluminum angle framing on either side of the center seat. I think this area would be a good spot for the batteries.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I'm putting a floor in my weldbilt 1548...how did the plywood work out and what kind did you use? Did you carpet it?

Cut out the center seat...plan to use to store batteries and other storage and electrical...
and I'll add as much foam board and other foam as I can fit!!!!

FVtLbLW.jpg

oP5mfhW.jpg

Also cut the rear seat for gas can storage and got some of the framing done in the stern

P8Tu74R.jpg

SQ39LG9.jpg

Framing is almost done...only a few more supports and ready for plywood and foam

gBrkoKU.jpg

a7V9STK.jpg

EvYzd9a.jpg

3Hmj347.jpg

just in case you were wondering....The transom board and transom cap are cut... they need to be sealed and painted. And then I'll have everything welded back in place!

elrodphil said:
I'm putting a floor in my weldbilt 1548...how did the plywood work out and what kind did you use? Did you carpet it?
Basically I still need to seal all the plywood and I plan to cover with carpet.
I used 1/2 CDX exterior plywood... pretty easy to work with.

I'll keep you posted once I get everything wrapped up... this project seems to never end!

Well just about all the plywood is cut....

UQ87zhN.jpg

KRd4WGs.jpg

wcvlGD9.jpg

And I got the seat mounts install... here's the one for the front

ekNi40w.jpg

Need to get hatches cut and seal everything. And I need to try and get the transom done and welded.

I've sealed all the plywood with West Marine Epoxy Resin.... can anyone tell me if it needs to be scuffed up prior to applying the marine carpet glue?

Got the carpet to cover the plywood.... guess I have all winter to get that done now.
Been hunting and haven't had a chance to do much with the boat.

Weather is finally warm... been working on the boat some over the past few weeks. I'll post some pictures of the recent progress.

Got started on the wiring...a few weeks ago.

uzy6zCT.jpg

ga4JPxI.jpg

The transom board is ready to install and I plan to have all the welding done next week.

UuNCJ66.jpg

wrapped all the plywood with carpet...

I3W0m1g.jpg

yUefv4x.jpg

ASOJv7b.jpg

Going to finish up the carpet and wiring in the next week or so...

A few more pictures of the progress...

b1qvJux.jpg

fuINESs.jpg

67vFlue.jpg

FjW6XPC.jpg

Center section with hatches... center hatch is where batteries will be... other 2 will be storage for whatever...
djnsF6D.jpg

0xc7bVk.jpg

gR6L9VN.jpg

I got the speakers installed... the Bluetooth radio will be added soon.

Had the transom cap and corner brackets welded back on...just need to bolt it all back together and slap on some paint.
YQe2DGR.jpg

pucyRGv.jpg

MmWZXYV.jpg

FbdnUNb.jpg

Now that the monsoon has finally stopped here in Virginia... I should be able to get back at it.

Latest posts