1994 Sea Ark 20 foot Pointed-nose Utility??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satx78247

Reaction score
Friends,

I've been out prowling the south TX pastures again & found a 20ft Sea Ark on a Shoreline trailer, sitting in a pasture & looking "unloved", for cheap. - The hull looks like a DEEP/WIDE Jonboat with a pointed nose

Everything has been stripped out of the hull except the console & built-in live well, though the hull itself is in good shape.

Do any of you happen to know what the big hull looked like when new?? - A photo of the original interior layout would be NICE to see.

I would also like to know what the recommended HP is.

The serial number is: SAB02520G495.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all from both of us.

yours, DarlaG & tex :D

satx78247 said:
Friends,

I've been out prowling the south TX pastures again & found a 20ft Sea Ark on a Shoreline trailer, sitting in a pasture & looking "unloved", for cheap. - The hull looks like a DEEP/WIDE Jonboat with a pointed nose

Everything has been stripped out of the hull except the console & built-in live well, though the hull itself is in good shape.

Do any of you happen to know what the big hull looked like when new?? - A photo of the original interior layout would be NICE to see.

I would also like to know what the recommended HP is.

The serial number is: SAB02520G495.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all from both of us.

yours, DarlaG & tex :D

Pointed nose = Modified V model. It is either a 2072 or a 2060. I've got an 1872 now (which is identical in dimensions to a 2072, except 2 ft shorter), and sold my 2060 a couple of years ago, so I'm familiar. Post a pic and I can tell you pretty easily what it is, or measure the floor or beam in it, that will tell you too. You're either going to have a 6' floor, in that case it is a 2072, and it will have these specs:

Length 20 ft 1 in
Beam 95 in
Bottom 72 in
Side Depth 28 in
Transom Height 20 in
Boat Weight 775 lbs
Weight Capacity 2300 lbs
Persons Cap 11/1585
.125 Gauge Aluminum
Max HP 90 (tiller)/150 (console)

If it is a 2060, it will have a 5' floor, and it will have these specs:

Length 20 ft 1 in
Beam 82 in
Bottom 60 in
Side Depth 24 in
Transom Height 20 in
Boat Weight 700 lbs
Weight Capacity 1500 lbs
Persons Cap 7/950
.100 Gauge Aluminum
Max HP 70 (tiller)/115 (console)

The 2060 is a good boat. The 2072 on the other hand (or any other 6 foot floor Ark), is the crown jewel of Seaark's line, and is a boat built to last a lifetime. Everything on them is overbuilt and reinforced. "Unloved" doesn't matter much with these boats. As long as the welds and metal are good, you're fine.

Spent a lot of time in an 1872, with 200hp evinrude (bow fishing).

LOVED that boat.

Unfortunately, it was borrowed and no longer have access to it.

It was an absolute TANK.

turbotodd said:
Spent a lot of time in an 1872, with 200hp evinrude (bow fishing).

LOVED that boat.

Unfortunately, it was borrowed and no longer have access to it.

It was an absolute TANK.

No kiddin? You and I need to talk. I have a 200 Honda on my 1872 and I've been tweaking the setup on it. I might pick your brain for some info. I'll send you a PM as to not derail this thread.

Just Google Seaark boats, their website should show different configurations and their layout. Seaark is a well built boat, can't go wrong if the hull is in decent condition.

whorrall; All,

YEP. It evidently is a Model 2072.
(Unless the model number has been changed since 1994.)

Now, I'm trying to get in touch with the registered owner (I'm told that he's out of state right now.), pay him, get the title/registration & start remodeling the BIG tin-boat. = This hull should be FINE for fishing large lakes/rivers & the bays on the TX coast.

Do any of you have the phone number of SEA ARK's customer service department?? - I looked for the phone number on-line & cannot find it.

I'm wondering if my current 90HP OB is enough power to push the boat at a decent rate but see NO such information on "the Worldwideweird" or if I actually need more HP.

ADDENDA: I just found the phone number (870-367-5317) & talked to a NICE lady at SEA ARK. - She says that she will send me the complete specs on the boat & believes that they still have a color brochure on the 1994 hulls too. = WOO HOO!!!

yours, tex :D

Tex,

I was hoping you'd say it was a 2072! Congratulations. Buy it, and don't look back. You'll likely never own a better boat.

My 1872 is very similar to the 2072, so I think performance in regard to horsepower would be a pretty close comparison.

I know what you mean but I have to chuckle because "enough power" and "decent speed" mean so many things to different people!

I had a Honda 75 on my 1872 for 4 years. It ran great for a 75. I talked to others who had 90s who were seeing about the same speeds with their 1872s/2072s. When I bought it, it went 30 mph top speed. Once I got the motor raised up higher on the transom and got a higher pitched (17P) 3 blade aluminum prop on it, I could do about 37-38 lightly loaded. If that's enough for you, I think the 90 will be fine. That's enough speed for most people around here, more than enough honestly. Lightly loaded you'll probably see mid to high 30s, maybe low 40s if you run a jackplate and have it really light and dialed in.

I think if you put a 115 on it you'd see low 40s. That's my somewhat educated guess. A 150 would probably get you into the high 40s lightly loaded.

I run a 200 and I'm barely into the 50s. It just isn't a fast hull. More like a barge. But that's what I love about it. I hope you enjoy yours too. Post some pics! I'm stoked for you.

Ran an 1872 with a 88 special for a little bit a while back, in diagnosing a porpoising issue. 34mph is all it would muster but again, SeArk's are built for speed, they're work boats-and GOOD ones.

The 200 would run low 50's but it was an offshore motor that had some work done to it, or that's what I was told when I bought (traded) it. It was a beast-and noisy as could be. I used to gather wild plums and apples from an island on the Arkansas river in the summers and the only way to get to the island was by boat. I'd load the 4 wheeler in the boat and take it to the island, unload, gather up a few toe sacks of fruits and then head back. Before I got that boat, I used to take two boats...one was a 1542 Duracraft, 25hp, and then a 10' no-name aluminum boat pulled by a rope behind it, loaded the 10' with fruit, drag it back to the ramp, unload it all into the truck, load the 1542 on the trailer, then manually lift the little boat onto the top of the 1542. Too much work but I was a lot younger then too.

(870) 367-5317 is the # I have for SeArk.

whorrall; turbotodd,

As the BIG Sea Ark will be a fishing machine for the lakes/bays, even 20-30 MPH is PLENTY for Darla/me. = We're not ever in that big of a rush to get to our fishing spot.
(I don't understand these HOT-RODDERS, who are out on the bay running 50+ MPH, as we have MANY "almost waterlogged" timbers/logs/other objects in the water & that you often cannot see until you are almost up on them.. = Hit one of those at speed & you'll "have a serious problem" for sure. = Some 4 years ago on Galveston Bay, I actually SAW a guy with a FAST speedboat, with a pair of high HP OBs, hit a submerged tree-stump at probably 60+ MPH. - Tore the transom out & down went the boat, too.)
The driver was fished out of the water & transported to an ER. - His boat was a total loss, not surprisingly.

THANKS for the info, gents.

MERRY CHRISTMAS from both of us.

yours, tex

If you can get the hull go for it. It'll make good bones that's for sure. I'd love to have a 2072 or 1872 SeaArk, that's my pinnacle boat. If you're running a 2072 I'd get a 150 for it when I could, a 90 will work in the mean time. You won't need any more unless you're going to pack a lot of weight. The draft on those boats is great and it won't take a lot to push it. They can hold a lot and if it's just you and your wife you're set. I've been looking for an aluminum deck boat which is basically going to be the same as a 2072, just a different deck configuration and finding one like you have would be perfect to start with a clean slate. I do a lot of bow fishing and those boats get a lot of weight built up in a hurry. Thought I found a good candidate in the Carolinas but the guy wanted 4K for it. It was a 95 deck boat and needed everything so that should give you some comparison as to what you're looking at for price and that included the tandem axle trailer which if it is a 2072 it should have come with. Another thing about the 2072 is it's all welded, no messing with rivets and eighth inch material.

eshaw,

I'm wondering if a pair of 60-75HP OMC outboards would be good, inasmuch as there are LOTS of old-model but good-running 60 & 75 HP's around here, FOR CHEAP. = I already own one rebuilt 60HP Gale Sovereign that looks/runs FINE.
(Being a FAN of the GALE OBs, I'd happily buy another Sovereign & put a pair of 60HP Gales on it.)

Fwiw, the Sovereign that I have will "idle down" to near walking speed on my 16 foot ski-boat, so it would likely push the BIG Sea Ark VERY, VERY, slowly for trolling the local lakes/bays.

CHECK your mail.

yours, tex

I have about 600 lbs hanging off of the transom of my 1872 with no ill effects. I don't think it would be a problem to hang 2 3-cylinder OMC's off the back. I've seen videos of twins on other 2072s/1872s.

Dear Friends,

I still do NOT have the BIG 2072, as the estate executor has NOT found the title & it may be MONTHS until she can get the probate court to issue an order to get another lawful/usable title.

What I said under my breath is: UNPRINTABLE. = My Darla said, You shouldn't say things like that."

I said, "I said nothing at all, out loud."

She then said, "NO. But you were sure thinking it."
(She is a MIND-READER.)

yours, tex :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I would not call a pointed nose a modified V. The pointed nose was developed for the jon boat to help duck hunters maneuver the boat through flooded timber, it will glance off of a tree instead of coming to an abrupt halt. That is the only reason for the pointed nose if the bottom of the boat is basically flat.

I bought a Sea ark mcbass 170 a year and a half ago. I did the same thing by calling Sea ark and getting a brochure. I love mine but it has a 90/65 jet... I use this boat for skinny water... Also like you I had a title issue. I resolved mine finally but it was a pain in the butt... best of luck.

satx78247 said:
Samsdad1,

FYI, I've come pretty close to giving up on the SEA ARK 2072.

yours, tex

Tex,

To locate mine, I went to that searchtemptest website where you can search all of the craigslist sites at once. I specified a search radius and looked for 1872s through 2472s. I had to drive 8 hours to get the one I wanted but it was worth it.

Latest posts