Custom truck bed topper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
She came in yesterday, WOW! It's like a cavern in there it was worth the $$ and the wait! Good riddance to the bak flip bed cover :)

silverado_topper.jpg

silverado_topper1.jpg

Attachments

• silverado_topper2.jpg
    silverado_topper2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,580
What brand is that? Can't make it out in the picture. I think it looks pretty good! I recently removed the Leer shell from my truck since I bought a 5th wheel. Love the camper but miss the shell from time to time.

It's from Ranch toppers, mine is called the "Supreme".

It took about 6 weeks from order to delivery because they had to take it out of production and NOT put the four side windows in.

ranch_topper.jpg

These things can be worth their weight in gold. My '99 has an A.R.E. flat lid and the '13 was dressed with a nice Leer. Mods can be limitless.

20170621_165928.JPG

Adjustable cargo bars to have rods off the floor, dry bag with extra clothes, tub for PFD's, waterproof box for kayak and cataraft gear.

20170621_165945.JPG

Yes, there is a shovel and garden rake there too. I tend to launch some, uh, "creative" places.....

20170621_170002.JPG

Installed an LED light from Tractor Supply for late trips.

If it can be included in your budget, I highly recomend getting one.

DSCF0180_zpsyfullmpw.JPG

Yup, I'm generating more plans for optimizing storage in there.

I looked at and will get these bed boxes from "Undercover" They're pricey at ~$400 but I read hundreds of very positive reviews and they look really good! As I write this I'm looking at cargo bars, they look like a good idea, storage off the bed! :)

undercover_toolboxes.jpg

I've had Undercover brand tonneau covers on my last two pickups. For whatever it is worth, I think they make a good product. I was checking out those swing boxes when I dropped the current pickup off for the tonneau cover to be installed. They are a pretty nice design -- easy to access and swing out of the way as needed.

I have used canopies on pickemups for almost 50 years. The aluminum ones are light and durable, but the fiberglass ones provide great insulation.
I sleep in the back of my truck pretty often especially on overnight boat trips.

ppine said:
I have used canopies on pickemups for almost 50 years. The aluminum ones are light and durable, but the fiberglass ones provide great insulation. I sleep in the back of my truck pretty often especially on overnight boat trips.

+1.

This is my third fiberglass topper. The first one was the height of the cab, the second was high like this one but it had side windows, and provided no privacy for sleeping back there with the ex-missus, or concealment of the stuff stored in its innards. This one having no side windows affords privacy, and concealment.

This one also seems to add enough weight (with the extra gear I can now store there) to get better traction on wet pavement.

ppine said:
I have used canopies on pickemups for almost 50 years. The aluminum ones are light and durable, but the fiberglass ones provide great insulation.
I sleep in the back of my truck pretty often especially on overnight boat trips.

I had one of the thin tin ones way back when on my Dodge D-100 (slant 6 with 3 on the tree). Wish I still had that pickup.

So far, all my transgressions have been small enough that I haven't have to sleep in the truck yet. Haha

NRR, Do you remember the name of those cargo bars? They look to be telescoping not the ratcheting / lock type. I found one brand named "Keeper" that doesn't have large locking mechanisms that looks OK.

Keeper Telescoping Cargo Bar

Image.aspx

I really like having windows, especially if they open and have screens.
Very important for warmer weather and cooler weather because you need to circulate some air to avoid condensation.
If you want privacy, just add some curtains. Very simple to do.

I really like sleeping in the back of my truck. Getting in and out is a little harder now as I approach 70. I really appreciate the back of the truck when the wind starts up or it starts snowing.

ppine said:
I really like having windows, especially if they open and have screens.
Very important for warmer weather and cooler weather because you need to circulate some air to avoid condensation.
If you want privacy, just add some curtains. Very simple to do.

I really like sleeping in the back of my truck. Getting in and out is a little harder now as I approach 70. I really appreciate the back of the truck when the wind starts up or it starts snowing.

Agreed, but my last two toppers had windows, and depending on which side is concealed in a parking lot, side windows also add another entry point for theft. With one window maybe it's not motel 6 but it certainly limits access points. But so you know, Ace hardware sells a nifty really light aluminum two step ladder, I bought one I leave it in my truck bed.

NRR, Thanks, I just bought a pair of the keepers.

Latest posts