Invasive species

Registered Users Only! Register....It's worth it!
ppine

Invasive species

Post by ppine » 05 Feb 2019, 14:13

In the US we have moved species around for at least 150 years. It is hard to tell what species are actually native unless you look it up.

In the West, German browns, kokanee, and lake trout are often introduced. So are bass and pike.

The native species are mostly rainbows, cutthroats, salmon and steelhead. There are many local endemic species with relatively small ranges.

It is only recently that Fish and Game Depts have started to pay attention to the original ranges of native fish species.

Xtremeboats
LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS » 05 Feb 2019, 19:28

ppine wrote:In the US we have moved species around for at least 150 years. It is hard to tell what species are actually native unless you look it up.

In the West, German browns, kokanee, and lake trout are often introduced. So are bass and pike.

The native species are mostly rainbows, cutthroats, salmon and steelhead. There are many local endemic species with relatively small ranges.

It is only recently that Fish and Game Depts have started to pay attention to the original ranges of native fish species.

There is a small water company reservoir near me that is stocked with rainbows among other things. Some time ago a fringe group went to court and got an injunction to stop the state DFW from planting rainbows at the reservoir. Said the rainbows would harm the native species. Thing is, I'm not sure what native species would have been there prior to the dam being built. Frogs & lizards maybe. From what I read, the same group tried unsuccessfully to stop all state and private hatchery stocking subject to environmental studies. They lost in court.
Have Rod - Will Fish

onthewater102

Invasive species

Post by onthewater102 » 06 Feb 2019, 10:38

How many similar frivolous suits tie up our legal system top to bottom.

FFS...it's a reservoir...it used to be a pair of opposing hillsides divided by a stream. Go ahead idiot plaintiff...reintroduce groundhogs and deer to their previous inhabited locations...let's get you all locked up for animal cruelty so we never have to deal with this again.

Invasive species will inhabit an invasive ecosystem - plain and simple. Just don't let the damned slimmers in, that's all I ask. Lure stealing fiends belong up north where Canadians can deal with them.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

ppine

Invasive species

Post by ppine » 07 Feb 2019, 11:59

Rainbows are native to a lot of the West.
It is aggravating at times, but having boat inspections for invasive species like clams, mussels and millefoil are a good idea.

Game departments have done a much better job of managing native species than Fish Departments.

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS » 07 Feb 2019, 23:36

ppine wrote:Rainbows are native to a lot of the West.
It is aggravating at times, but having boat inspections for invasive species like clams, mussels and millefoil are a good idea.

Game departments have done a much better job of managing native species than Fish Departments.
I'm 100% behind whatever they need to do to keep those zebra & quagga mussels out of our Northern California lakes. I hope they don't discontinue the inspections.
Have Rod - Will Fish

onthewater102

Invasive species

Post by onthewater102 » 08 Feb 2019, 10:12

Mussels are destructive and limit the use of the lake for recreation and as a utility and I agree on avoiding them - but milfoil in a non-natural water body when it persists everywhere around? Not the worst way of colonizing it quickly with aquatic plant material and raising the trophic state to support a diverse fishery sooner.

Same goes for round gobies (in bodies where the zebra mussels are established), rusty crayfish and alewives. They build an under-story for a large food web quickly.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

RiverBottomOutdoors

Invasive species

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 08 Feb 2019, 11:51

The blue catfish is our invasive species here Virginia. I hate them with a passion. Freshwater rats is what they are.

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS » 09 Feb 2019, 14:31

"Just don't let the damned slimmers in, that's all I ask. Lure stealing fiends belong up north where Canadians can deal with them."

"The blue catfish is our invasive species here Virginia. I hate them with a passion. Freshwater rats is what they are."

"Slimmers" and "freshwater rats". I'll have to add that to "ditch pickles" for slang fish names. :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

I remember my Dad saying it was a "river trout" and to throw it on the bank. I think he was talking about a pike minnow but it I was so young and it was so long ago I'm not sure.
Have Rod - Will Fish

onthewater102

Invasive species

Post by onthewater102 » 09 Feb 2019, 15:19

I don't kill them if I don't eat them - but I advocate against their introduction.

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS » 09 Feb 2019, 17:34

onthewater102 wrote:I don't kill them if I don't eat them - but I advocate against their introduction.
In the old days, 50 or more years ago, folks tossed trash fish up on the bank. Not legal to do these days. Might not have been legal back then either, but that was the practice of the times.
Have Rod - Will Fish

KMixson

Invasive species

Post by KMixson » 10 Feb 2019, 07:40

My grandmother would keep any fish no matter how bad of a reputation it had. She would take it home and cook it up and you could put it up against the finest fish served for miles around. One of her favorite fish was the Mudfish, aka Bowfin. In her world there were no trash fish. If we killed it, caught it or harvested it she could cook it and you would be amazed.

bcbouy

Invasive species

Post by bcbouy » 10 Feb 2019, 14:08

funny.we're battling the idiots that keep trying to introduce the bass into our systems.keep them down south where they belong.bass are the true rats with fins.not to mention ugly as hell and more destructive to an ecosystem as you can get.
if all else fails....stop using all else

LDUBS

Invasive species

Post by LDUBS » 11 Feb 2019, 02:41

bcbouy wrote:funny.we're battling the idiots that keep trying to introduce the bass into our systems.keep them down south where they belong.bass are the true rats with fins.not to mention ugly as hell and more destructive to an ecosystem as you can get.

Interesting. Why would they want to do that -- for sport fishing?

If they are not there now, I don't blame you for wanting to keep the ditch pickles, er I mean bass, from being introduced.
Have Rod - Will Fish

bcbouy

Invasive species

Post by bcbouy » 11 Feb 2019, 02:59

yes.sport fishing. when the dept.of fisheries finds invasive species they carpet bomb the infected waters and kill every fin fish in the system and restock it with native species.it's costly but effective.
if all else fails....stop using all else

New River Rat

Invasive species

Post by New River Rat » 14 Feb 2019, 15:22

RiverBottomOutdoors wrote:The blue catfish is our invasive species here Virginia. I hate them with a passion. Freshwater rats is what they are.
The biologists in Blacksburg (Joe Williams-muskie and John Copeland-smallmouth) both say the flatheads are the real reason the smallie population is declining. I suppose flatties are a convenient scapegoat.
My Tinny is a tool, a means to an end, if you will.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff