Duracraft Bay Series

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesTex1

Reaction score
Came across an 18” Duracraft Center Console a coworker of mine has and wondering if anyone knows much about this model. Boat has been sitting in his yard for a few years now and spent its entire life on the Texas coast. He did have some issues with the motor awhile back but said it ran fine last time he took it out. Not counting on the motor but mainly want it for a project because the boat is exactly the set up
I want for a fishing boat. The hull appears to be in great shape, I just haven’t gone over it with a fine toothed comb. Should I be worried about having to replace foam on this boat or what are the things I should look at most? From what I can tell there isn’t any bad corrosion going on. He is asking $800 for everything, figured I can’t go wrong at that price, sorry don’t have any more pics right now.IMG_2783.jpgIMG_2794.jpgIMG_2788.jpgIMG_2787.jpgIMG_2978.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You should give me his address and let me go tell him in person what a hunk of junk that is.

Haha. I hope you jump on this if it is titled. Dont even think about turning that motor over without a new impeller especially with salt water use.

thedude said:
You should give me his address and let me go tell him in person what a hunk of junk that is.

Haha. I hope you jump on this if it is titled. Dont even think about turning that motor over without a new impeller especially with salt water use.

Haha they are both titled, I believe the boat title got lost when he inherited it so will just have to apply for a lost title. I was able to look it up by the HIN on TPWD website.

Anyone have any info about the foam in these boats?

My only concern would be the title issue. It wont do you any good if you can't actually own it. And it can often be a major hassle to get resolved.

GeauxJoe said:
My only concern would be the title issue. It wont do you any good if you can't actually own it. And it can often be a major hassle to get resolved.

It’s titled, just the hard copy was lost, shouldn’t be too much of any issue

Even if it needs some repairs, $800 is a great price. But, as was said before, make sure you have a title. Since he's your friend, you can probably get him to go to the DMV and straighten out the lost title. Without it, you own scrap metal.

Is the title in his name or the deceased? Any other heirs? Just be sure you have it all figured out before money changes hands. Look forward to watching the rebuild!

thedude said:
Is the title in his name or the deceased? Any other heirs? Just be sure you have it all figured out before money changes hands. Look forward to watching the rebuild!

It is actually in his brother in laws name but he already signed the forms for the lost title paperwork

So an update here on the boat, sorry about the nighttime picks but I am working nights so they are the best I can get right now. He had it uncovered and put new tarps in the console and motor so y’all can get a bette idea of the layout now. I did find to baseball to softball sized corrosion spots on the bottom of the hull right in front of the bunks but they don’t appear to be all the way through the aluminum. Other than those two spots I can’t find any other corrosion on the hull but I won’t know for sure unless I take it off the trailer bunks. Any thoughts on having any major issues with the corrosion spots? I figured that wasn’t too bad since it spent its whole life in saltwater. What would be the best way to repair the spots? I do plan on coating the bottom of the hull with Gator Glide, and I don’t think I would be able to access the top side of the corrosion spots through the deck extensions hatch without taking the entire inside deck off. IMG_4494.jpgIMG_4495.jpgIMG_4496.jpgIMG_4497.jpgIMG_4498.jpgIMG_4499.jpgIMG_4500.jpgIMG_4501.jpgIMG_4502.jpg

The entire deck area and even inside some of the compartments it is covered with some sort of bed liner and I do not think the boat has any foam under the floor, at least I cannot see any

thedude said:
I dont think it looks bad at all.

Ok good I didn’t either, any ideas from anyone on the best fix for those spots?

Cmon, there has to be some members in here who know the best thing to apply to those corrosion spots.

I would thoroughly clean it. Measure it precisely and then paint it. If the paint fails and it grows at all in size ANY, then you can cut it out and make a patch (could rivet or have it welded). If you are going to run it in salt, make sure you don't have any carpet on the trailer bunks (prolonged contact with salt water is bad!) - use a half 4 inch gutter to cover the bunks - there are threads on here discussing this.

thedude said:
I would thoroughly clean it. Measure it precisely and then paint it. If the paint fails and it grows at all in size ANY, then you can cut it out and make a patch (could rivet or have it welded). If you are going to run it in salt, make sure you don't have any carpet on the trailer bunks (prolonged contact with salt water is bad!) - use a half 4 inch gutter to cover the bunks - there are threads on here discussing this.
Thank you sir for the input, it will be 99% freshwater use and may see the salt every now and then for a little bit of gigging action. Hoping if the motor is shot I can find a decent deal on a low hours used motor. The coast guard tag says it’s rated for up to 120 HP [emoji44] but I definitely won’t be going more than 90 HP.

Any more thoughts? Going to be purchasing this boat soon!

Got all paperwork signed by previous owner for the lost title and other necessary forms, TPWD makes it a headache to get all of this down and every office is over an hour away from me. Just need to process the paperwork and get the previous owner to sign the new title when it comes in. Looking to pick up the boat this week and test the motor compression

Latest posts