Trolling socks/buckets etc.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
I have been researching trolling socks/buckets/sea bags etc. I am thinking about building a set of trolling buckets for my 12 ft boat so that I can troll slowly with my gas outboard. I found a few videos on youtube that helped me understand the concept but I'm more curious about what it is actually like using two buckets for trolling on both sides of the boat. Does anybody here use this setup?

I use 1 bucket behind my 16ft with a 30hp on it.. it allows me to throttle up the motor a bit because it shakes so much at low idle.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
I use 1 bucket behind my 16ft with a 30hp on it.. it allows me to throttle up the motor a bit because it shakes so much at low idle.

Does it still work for slowing your speed? I've seen them towed behind and wondered if there are problems with it getting in the way of fighting fish or getting too close to the prop.

LDUBS said:
Pretty decent discussion of trolling socks in the link below.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46534&p=465843&hilit=trolling+socks#p465754

Thanks, LDUBS. That thread kind of answered my question about the buckets banging up against the boat.

It slows me about 1mph while allowing me to throttle up about 100rpm ( I have a tach)..i tie it to my starboard stern rope and fish out the port side.

Regarding actual trolling bags, I'm wondering if when you put the boat in neutral or shut the motor off to fight a fish or something if the trolling bags stay open while you are sitting still in the water.

bikerider said:
Regarding actual trolling bags, I'm wondering if when you put the boat in neutral or shut the motor off to fight a fish or something if the trolling bags stay open while you are sitting still in the water.

Yes, they pretty much do.

jethro said:
bikerider said:

Yes, they pretty much do.

Good to know.

Latest posts