What type of knife?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Swiss Army. Have one in each of my vechicles, in my pocket all the time and in my boat, also have needle nose pliers in the boat.

Two weeks ago when I went to the state fair I forgot and had to take the Swiss Army (Recruit) back to the truck before they would let me in #-o [-X . Then when I returned they didn't even let me go through the metal detector, just waved me own by(I must look honest). :?

This is the knife that stays in my pocket. Small Buck Companion pocket knife
buckcompanion.jpg

This is the knife that stays in the boat. Same thing they gave us EM's in the Navy
KNIFE.JPG

And this one travels back and forth from kitchen to boat (or Ice Fishing Shanty). It's 14 1/4" overall. with a 9" partially serrated Stainless Steel blade.
Browning_knife.jpg

I always carry my leatherman multi tool and have a fillet knife mounted in the boat. Makes gutting fish at the ramp nice and easy.

Spyderco Pacific Salt. Absolutely will not rust even in salt water. I left it in my livewell for a week in salt water to test it out and it looked and worked like new. $85 and well worth it.
ldxhZH6.jpg

I carry a few different knives. Most used (hopefully) is my 6" Rapala filet knife. I have a Swiss Army "Angler" that I actually bought in Geneva. Kind of cool because it includes a small pair of pliers for reel repair I guess. Also have a single blade Swiss Army Alpineer. And finally I have my ground down "shiv" of about 3 or 4" for cutting bait or whatever.

My cheap Leatherman knock-off went "boing" one day and all the pieces flew all over the boat. Thanks for the tips on the Gerber model. See one on Amazon for $15.

I mostly use filet knives. Some are famous made in Finland with leather sheaths. Some are stainless with plastic sheaths. I like Mora knives, which is what most commercial fishermen use. I cannot imagine using a clunky Leatherman tool or a Swiss Army knive to clean fish.

I think multi-tool knives like the Swiss Army ones have uses around the boat beyond fish cleaning. To be honest, I carry the Swiss Army "Angler" in the boat because it is called "Angler". Haha. I will say that my single folding blade Swiss Army knife would work well for gutting a fish. But I normally use the Rapala.

LDUBS said:
I think multi-tool knives like the Swiss Army ones have uses around the boat beyond fish cleaning.
I found this out the other day when I had engine difficulties and used the pliers and screw driver bit on my leatherman before I left the lake.

I like to have a larger quality multitool, a full size folder (Buck 110) and also a smaller pocket knife.

Different tools for different needs.

RaisedByWolves said:
I like to have a larger quality multitool, a full size folder (Buck 110) and also a smaller pocket knife.

Different tools for different needs.

Do you carry all three all the time?

Shoot, I don't carry around any of them normally. Keep them on the boat. Though I did just pick up a Gerber "dime". Very compact and easy to carry in a pocket. And, I sure agree that a full size multi-tool is going to have a lot more utility than this small one I just got.

BTW, Amazon seems to be doing some strange pricing games. At least it seems that way. When I first looked up these Gerber's, the green one was $2 to $5 less than the other colors. When I went back a day or so later, the price had gone by up by $6 and the purple one was cheapest. I sent a screen shot to Mrs Ldubs to order with her Prime account and when she went to Amazon the purple one had gone up $2. That was in just an overnight. Looks to me like Amazon is tracking views and tweaking the prices.

LDUBS said:
Shoot, I don't carry around any of them normally. Keep them on the boat. Though I did just pick up a Gerber "dime". Very compact and easy to carry in a pocket. And, I sure agree that a full size multi-tool is going to have a lot more utility than this small one I just got.

BTW, Amazon seems to be doing some strange pricing games. At least it seems that way. When I first looked up these Gerber's, the green one was $2 to $5 less than the other colors. When I went back a day or so later, the price had gone by up by $6 and the purple one was cheapest. I sent a screen shot to Mrs Ldubs to order with her Prime account and when she went to Amazon the purple one had gone up $2. That was in just an overnight. Looks to me like Amazon is tracking views and tweaking the prices.

Yeah LOL to carrying them all the time, they stay on the boat.

I have a nice lil Ruger slip joint I keep in my pocket.

The Amazon thing is a known issue, but its not anything nefarious.

Most of what you see will consist of stock from various vendors. If one vendor is offering the same item cheaper you will be shown the cheaper item before a more expensive version of the same thing.

When the cheaper item sells out the next cheaper will be what shows up.

RaisedByWolves said:
LDUBS said:

Yeah LOL to carrying them all the time, they stay on the boat.

I have a nice lil Ruger slip joint I keep in my pocket.

The Amazon thing is a known issue, but its not anything nefarious.

Most of what you see will consist of stock from various vendors. If one vendor is offering the same item cheaper you will be shown the cheaper item before a more expensive version of the same thing.

When the cheaper item sells out the next cheaper will be what shows up.

I don't see multiple vendors. It was just click on the color you want. Just seemed like to much of a coincidence and seems shady to me. Anyway, what you say makes sense and I hope that is the case.

Thanks RBWolves. I couldn't find it. When I went back a couple days ago the price had gone down again for the one we purchased.

Not really that big of a deal -- just irritating to me.

Sorry about taking this thread off track -- hope no-one minds.

Anyway, here is a screen shot of the page from a couple days ago:

Gerber screen shot.png

Latest posts